IGNORED

Recommended oil ?

XV1100SE

I know oils have been discussed before but based on a couple locally available oils and an '09 Venture, which one would you use?

I know a couple are automotive oils but some people say they are okay to use.

Our local Canadian Tire has :

- Rotella - don't remember the description but think it was 15w-40

- Castrol GTX 10W-40 (anti-sludge formula) http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915464&contentId=6003410

- Quaker State 10w-40 SAE Peak Performance (Advanced Durability)

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/motor-oil/advanced-durability

- Motomaster Formula 1 10w-40 (premium 4 stroke) - $5/litre

- Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 - $17/litre (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs2)

Amsoil Synthetic motorcycle oil - 10w-40 - $20/litre (http://www.syntheticoildealer.com/royle/dyno.htm

I've used the Amsoil, nothing wrong with it, but I switched to the Mobil from Crappy Tire a couple of years ago and I really think the bike is quieter(chirp chirp).

Turned over 100,000 k's on our trip to Texas in September........

gunk:smile5:

Edited by gunkylump

I am using & continue to use Rotella Synthetic T6 oil. The 1st change flushed a lot of setiment out of the engine... reduced engine noise... better clutch friction. Works better than Amsoil in my 2008 RSV with 30k on it. I change every 5k.

Nothing but a winner for me!

JohnB

I'm dumping the Rotella and going to Castrol. When my VIP expired, I switched to Rotella from Yama-Lube. Clutch started slipping, running warmer and now consuming oil somewhere. Tipped over 68K on my '06 now.

BEER30

Interesting! Seems we all have different experiences with oil.

My first oil change was to Yamalube Full synthetic 15w-50. Noticed that that bike was much quieter and shifting was smoother.

When it was time to change the oil again I went back to the dealership and found that they didn't have the Yamalube anymore. :confused07:

They recommended that I use Spectro Full synthetic 20w-50. They even claimed it was better than the Yamalube. Well, the bike was noisier and shifting was clunky. Won't use that anymore!

This round I tried Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. Much better than the Spectro but still not as good as the Yamalube. It's pretty close though, and I'll probably just stay with the Mobile One. I may try the 15w-50 though.

Edited by Mariner Fan

I used the rotella in the blue jug last time with 15w40w and changed it not long ago and put rotella t5 the blend 10w30w since it's going to get colder out. The whine is louder and it shifts into 3rd with a clunk but other than that it's fine. I just turn the radio up and I'm half deaf anyway so Im good I guess.

Interesting! Seems we all have different experiences with oil.

My first oil change was to Yamalube Full synthetic 20w-50. Noticed that that bike was much quieter and shifting was smoother.

When it was time to change the oil again I went back to the dealership and found that they didn't have the Yamalube anymore. :confused07:

They recommended that I use Spectro Full synthetic 20w-50. They even claimed it was better than the Yamalube. Well, the bike was noisier and shifting was clunky. Won't use that anymore!

This round I tried Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. Much better than the Spectro but still not as good as the Yamalube. It's pretty close though, and I'll probably just stay with the Mobile One. I may try the 20w-50 though.

20w-50 Mobil 1 is specifically designed for air cooled twins.

Another Rotella 15W40 over here and it is still in the engine and good for another 2000 miles more. I have Valvoline 10W40 moto oil sitting in the garage and I may very well use that on my next oil change for winter riding. I recently moved to Rotella and Purolator Gold and am very happy with the recommendation by members.

:smile5:The 1st owner of my 2001 RSTD said he only used the yamalude oil. However, I like the synthetic blend, so I am now trying the Honda HP4 high performance 10w-40 synthetic blend motorcycle oil. After 2K miles, I am very pleased. Shifting very good, and "seems" to be running a touch quieter. Just another thought to ponder! :sun1: :sun1:

Edited by jpbragwell1215

:smile5:The 1st owner of my 2001 RSTD said he only used the yamalude oil. However, I like the synthetic blend, so I am now trying the Honda HP4 high performance 10w-40 synthetic blend motorcycle oil. After 2K miles, I am very pleased. Shifting very good, and "seems" to be running a touch quieter. Just another thought to ponder! :sun1: :sun1:

Yamalube is a 10W-40 synthetic blend.