IGNORED

Went Down

icebrrg3rd

Well, I became a supporting member Wed, and Thurs I went down, so I guess I gotta send another donation in.

I was on my way to work and people were all and out not driving worth a darn. I had to slam on the brakes and one second later I'm sliding on my left side. Probably was going 25-30 mph. Helmet got some scratches, jacket, glove and boot just got some "character" added to them, pants got a small hole. Bike lost it's left mirror, sanded some paint off and chipped the edge of the turn signal. Highway peg, saddlebag bar, and pipe took most of the abuse and had the most wear. Guy behind me stopped, helped me right it, and push it to a nearby parking lot.

Me, I got some bruises on my left side, some rug burn most likely from my shirt moving (jacket kept it from being road rash) but the worst injury was my RIGHT thumb must have hit something because it was swelling and hurt like a sob. Wife picked me up and took me to the dr. Nothing broken, just sprained. But now I can't grab the throttle. :bawling:

So after work, I had a buddy come and drive it home for me. Started ok, rode fine, he liked the power of it (1st gen rule!). So for now, I put in on winter insurance, will have to fix the mirror, I want to repaint & repair all the cracks in the fairing, and will de-link the brakes, which is what I'm sure put me down.

My son asked if I was getting rid of it. I told him "No way".

-Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Both Jean and I are very glad that you were not hurt any more than you were. I wish I could say that it has never happened to me but I would be a lier if I told you otherwise.

Check Ebay for that Mirror, rest up and heal properly. Over the winter months would be a great time to address your braking issues. You should be good to go by spring, both physically and mentally. My dad used to tell me all the time about riding motorcycles, "it's not a matter of if, but when!" Thank goodness you had your jacket and helmet on, you did good there.

Thanks for sharing you moment with us, It helps the rest of us step up our "A" game when riding. :thumbsup2:

Earl and Jean

See now, if you hadn't been a member here we would have never known that you went down, and what would you do with your 5 bucks.

Glad you became a member, hope you enjoy it, and heal fast, never know when you hurt next and it's no fun having two hurts at the same time.

This has to be a record of some kind....

Just one day of membership and having to admit to laying it down already.

Heal fast and get back on it.:bikersmilie:

Yeah you may be a record holder now!! Ain't that Great??:whistling:

Glad you weren't hurt any worse. I love the linked brakes myself but they aren't for everybody. Watch E-Bay for parts. Bet you are really sore today!!

Wear the Gear. Think what it could have been without!!

Thanks for the support. My fingers still work, so I can still peck at the keys. Good thing, as I can't hold a pencil w/o pain. Moving the mouse with my left hand is still a little odd, but websites like this motivate me to exceed! :hihi: Ok, enough sucking up.

Yeah, I will be looking for parts and fixing it back up. Just sucked as today got into the 60's. Oh well. This will give me more time to get it back to better than new.

-Andrew

I'm sorry to hear you dropped it and took some abuse. I did that as well my first ride of my first summer with my 84. I was devastated. eBay and some help from friends got me back in the saddle within weeks.

Figure out what you need and post it up here. Some folks are parting out a bike or two. I know an 84 is being parted out. Maybe something you need is available.

I have a left mirror...

Wayne

Good luck on your recovery !! Took a spill this spring myself on my '90 Venture and not sure how I managed it but I now have two bikes...lol. Bought a 2001 Concours thinking the Venture was a goner... But got it running again and now have two bikes that are both very nice in their own respects. Altho I have to admit I'm pretty sure the Venture suffered some Dain Bramage (which makes us about even...lol) cause now it thinks we should be turning slightly left at all times. Makes me keep my hands on the bars all the time anyway. First day I had the Venture back on the road I went and rode the exact road I went down on and ...have riden it many times since but it always gets more attention than usual roads. These bikes got heart and mine wasn't ready to be put down yet altho she's a bit "rough". Fix yourself up physically and mentally, fix up the Venture, and get back at it asap. Glad you're going to be ok !:pushups:

Bob

PS..Wife thought sure I would quit riding so she's not too happy about the addition to the family...hehehe....but she's a good sport!

A little late seeing this but glad to hear you are ok. Saddly all the motorcycle traing and experience in the world though it helps to prepare you to deal with situations, it does nothing to help control how others drive. It seems bikers should have been born with heads like an owl and eyes like rabbit.

huh? THAT part I don't understand. Can you help me out?

I stomped on the rear brakes, and I'm sure that it locked up both the front & rear wheels, because a moment later I was sliding on my side. I've had the bike since April, and this is the first time I laid on the brakes like that. With my Maxim, when I've hit the rear brakes like that, all that happened is my rear tire would lock up but I'd still be upright.

-Andrew