IGNORED

RSTD cutting down windshield

:080402gudl_prv:

Has anyone cut down their windshield? How did it work out?I would like to shorten mine by 4 inches,any suggestions or advise ? Thanks...

I took mine to a plastics shop and had a few inches taken off.

There's also a tech tip in Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine's web site:http://www.motorcyclecruisermagazine.com

I cut mine down. I taped off the top part with masking tape. I then took a pencil and with a piece of string and made an arc across the tape from the centre screw on the windshield.

I used a Porter Cable jigsaw with a fine blade, lots of teeth, and set my speed fairly low and just took my time. You made need a second pair of hands close to the end of the cut.

I did all this right on the bike, I covered the front of the bike with a sheet.

Then I sanded the edge with some fine paper, be careful not to roll over onto the windshield, it will scratch.

You can see in the pics how my cut made kinda made square corners, I've been thinking about fixing that

• 2 weeks later...

Just cut mine down.... had a terrible buffeting on my head. tried the shorty shield.. no change... cut over 5 inches off the shorty.... still think it needs a little more. just trying to cut the wind on my chest for long rides. I used an air cutoff tool with a metal cutoff wheel. taped a line and went for it. cut through clean in two passes. polished the edge with air die grinder with 3m scotchbrite resurfacing pad. will post pics soon.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested in either a replacement or second windshield, I just put my windshield up for sale in the Classified sections.

The windshield is in excellenct condition, and because I already own a set of chrome billetted windshield lowers...I am throwing in the lowers as well.

This is the stock shield and stock lowers. Yamaha's MRSP on the shield is $173.95 and lists the MRSP of the lowers at $50.95. South Seattle Yamaha sells them at a 25% discount for $130.46 and $30.21 respectively. They are priced to sell so if your intersted they are in the classified section here.

i cut about 1.5 inches off mine, like previous threads stated, cover the are to be cut with tape, i used duct tape, mark the line, then i covered with an old towel to make sure i did not scratch the rest, and used the big floor mounted metal bandsaw at work. it made a nice cut, gently filed the edges and remounted. cheers, Scott

(i like the scotchbright polishing idea, and have also been told about taking a propane torch and gently waving across the cut edge and it will make the edge look like original, try this on the cut off piece first, as i cannot say that this will work as i have not tried it yet.)

• 1 month later...
Has anyone cut down their windshield? How did it work out?I would like to shorten mine by 4 inches,any suggestions or advise ? Thanks...
i cut mine 2 1/2 inches.it is just right .i can see over the top sitting normally.i am 5 '10''. 4'' is way to short unless your alot shorter than me.the wind goes right over the top of my helmet.:)

• 1 month later...
Guest Lowdan

I cut my 99s down. Made a template marked it off with a glass marking grease pencil then used a hand held sander. Only thing I would add to whats already been said is to cover everything as much as possible because that ground off plastic get on everything.

It really is an easy job if you go slow.

I would recommend buying a new shorty tho as to me it is easier to change it out than go thru the mess...

I've been tempted during the hot months of summer. I think I'll buy a set of brackets and a shorty windshield so I can slip a short one on for the summer.

Wayne Farrington (Brewser23) sells the brackets for this. Check out his picture gallery for some pictures of his bike with the shorty shield.

Where can you get a set of brackets? I am wanting to do that as well. Yamaha does not sell them only the hard parts and to buy all the parts is over $1K. Does someone make after market brackets for the Shield of the RSTD?

• 1 year later...

I cut mine by 3 inches (took it to a local glass company).

I recommend measuring what you want cut only after you change your seat!

Once I changed seats and rode a little higher maybe I would have only gone 2 inches.

I cut mine down because in the rain I could not see a thing (the fine "after rain" dirt was impossible to see through).

Regards,

gp

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just cut mine today with a jigsaw and a plastic blade. I did the masking tape thing and I used the bottom chrome edge for a perfect guide to draw the line. I then used wet sand paper and a bucket of water in the drive way until I had a nice edge. perfect finished product by me.