Started up the 87 VR today and pumping fuel onto the ground behind the center stand.

It looks like it is coming from the bottom front of the fuel tank. Only running out (very heavy) when engine is running. Is the fuel pump located there? Is there information on taking it apart so I can determine what is leaking?

Thanks for the help

Mike

Take a long look at the bike again from underneath. There are four black hoses that run from the tops of each carb (overflows) that run across the top of the engine, inside the frame and drop down right by the center stand and fuel pump.

If you have a float sticking that is probably your leak. Drain your fuel bowls out to look for debris, tap the side of each carb fuel bowl with a wooden dowel or screwdriver handle to try to break loose the debris and then try again.

Add some Seafoam to the tank to help clear up any sticky stuff. Let it work into the bowls and soak over night.

It's doing it because when the bike is turned on the pump runs to fill the bowls. Without the needle firmly seated it just runs through the overflow.

I doubt if there is any issue with the fuel pump itself. Pretty simple device.

Let us know what you find.

Mike

I looked at the hoses, they come out behind the damping shock. The leak is coming from above the damping shock hose attachment point (top of shock) and above the yellow chromed part above this. There are no fluids coming out of any of the overflow hoses.

So at this point I do not think it is a stuck float.

Any other thoughts?

Ok, here's another idea. The fuel pump is behind the left passenger floorboard/foot peg mounting bracket. With the left side panel and the mounting bracket off you should be able to see most of the fuel line connections. If it's only leaking when the key is in the run position it would have to be a broken or damaged fuel line or a loose connection.

You have the one line coming down from the petcock on the tank into the fuel filter and then does a 180 degree turn into the input of the pump. I've found mine leaking there once from the clamp working loose. (it only leaked with the bike running BTW) The line out of the pump is straight up the frame beside the overflow hoses then clamps into the feeder tree at the carbs. That line my be chafed or cracked. From what you are saying that sounds like a likely culprit.

Hey Mike,

Michael has got you real close to the inspection of the fuel lines! I suggest that you remove the single bolt that holds the fuel pump bracket to the frame which will allow you to pull the fuel pump out of the frame and expose a good portion of the fuel line going to the fuel tank and the large red braided fuel line that goes up the "spine" of the frame to the Carbs. Once the pump is out, turn on the key and check the fuel lines for the leak. If you find that the smaller black rubber fuel lines is bad, I would replace ALL of them as they are all 24+ years old. When you order the lines, pick up a new fuel filter as well and do this job ONE time, well. If you find the larger red, braided fuel line is bad, then that job is going to be a bit more time consuming because of the fuel line routing and access.

Keep us posted as to what you find out. :confused24:

Earl

• 10 years later...