IGNORED

1986 Royale Carburation problem?????

Yet again I turn to the experts on this board for help. The problem I'm having is driving me NUTS!!

Here goes - 86 Venture 1300. I had an overflow leak from the left front carbuerator the last time I rode my bike. It leaked steadily under power and with the choke on - not idling unchoked. I assumed a "gummed up bowl" on that carb . and because I've never had them cleaned - I decided to pull them and have them done...

I took them to a local guy - he has a "ultrasonic" cleaning tank he uses and is a very busy

mechanic so I'm hoping his work is not the problem??

I get them back - put them on - hook up the overflow tubes on top, tighten everything down, choke and throttle cables back on, etc - and checked to be sure I didn't miss anything.. It will not run! It will not take throttle at all, it bogs out immediately if trying to give throttle. On choke - it will idle at maybe 1800 RPM's or so but as without choke - as soon as throttle is applied - it bogs out and backfires a little.... and dies.

I didn't put the airbox on and I can see the slides moving as it runs. I've taken the bowl drains out and each is full of gas. The carbs are tight to the rubber on the bottom. Everything seems okay! I know sometimes that these Venture's wont run right with the airbox off but I've had mine off numerous times throughout the years and it never made a difference. That's about the only thing I haven't tried to remedy this problem.

I do know it ran well, except for the overflowing left front carb when I took them out to be cleaned. I took them apart myself as well hoping to find something obvious, put them back together and back on the bike - same problem!

Any advice would be very appreciated. I've had these out three times now and getting pretty fast at it. Pretty tired at it too.

Thanks.

ahunt2412@yahoo.com

Ok - gonna try putting the box on and seeing if that's the culprit... Along the same lines -

the airbox on mine has ALWAYS worked loose -(the clamps on the bottom of the carbs).

No matter how much I tighten them up - all 4 come loose almost immediately! It's been a problem with my bike since the day I bought it.

Any ideas? Is that a common thing with the Ventures?

Thanks again

Ok - gonna try putting the box on and seeing if that's the culprit... Along the same lines -

the airbox on mine has ALWAYS worked loose -(the clamps on the bottom of the carbs).

No matter how much I tighten them up - all 4 come loose almost immediately! It's been a problem with my bike since the day I bought it.

Any ideas? Is that a common thing with the Ventures?

Thanks again

Make sure the boots and the surface of the carbs where these boots fit over are as dry as you can get them. If any oil or other lub is present, it will cause them to loosen up fairly quickly. Also, the clamps seem to stretch over time and may need replaced.

Check the Intakes between the box, and top of carbs. There is a " mark " to properly position them before installing the box.

Ordering new set of Clamps, both top and bottom of carbs is " highly reccomended "

Be sure the rubber around the tops of intake manifolds, is not damaged. This problem is fairly common.

Also be sure your Intakes and tightly bolted to the Heads. Also, maby a new set of O-Rings at that point. Some folks have reported leaks at that point even with a New set of O-Rings. Advisable to use Sealant with the new O-Rings.

do not use sealants on the intake at the heads. UNLESS it's on the outer edge of the manifold. Reason Fuel will eat the silicone sealer. Also Left front and right rear manifolds have bolts ...that when removed OIL will leak down from the head. This is the main oil passages for the cams. These 2 bolt areas must be sealed with HIGH quality silicone AFTER no more oil is coming out and it's oil free. Use laquer thinner. FYI, ultrasonic cleaners work great as long as the carbs are prepped properly. BOWLS removed and a fee other things need to come off. But the Venture has "jet blocks" that hold the jets and these have rubber plugs. The plugs CANNOT be removed UNLESS the jet block is removed 1st. Thus without the plugs removed...it would take a bit longer to have the full benefit of the ultrasonic.If these items are removed. The plugs cost $5 each need qty.8 ($40)and 4 gaskets $7 each. ($28) . See this can get expensive. And takes a lot of time.

Ok - Did what you guys advised. I put the carbs back on - put the airbox on, made sure it was sealed, tight and proper.

It does run better... Not right or even close... At least I can give it a little throttle now.

It has extreme hesitation on throttle - if I give it a full twist, it hesitates and then revs up slowly but does NOT sound right. It sounds like it's running on three cylinders or something?

It's got spark to all 4 cylinders.

It still runs and throttles better on choke as it did before. AND - i let it idle for about 5 minutes and it eventually just died and had a hard time starting again - even on choke!

Any other ideas? Am I missing something? Did the guy that cleaned the carbs miss something or not clean, disassemble them properly?

Beautiful bike! One of the most chromed out Ventures I've ever seen. I'm just about to sell it for parts! Shame

Has the synch been pre-set yet? If it's way off, it won't want to run at all. Pull the air box, and starting with #2 carb (LF) make sure the butterflies are closed all the way. #2 is controlled by the idle screw. The #1 (LR) is controlled by the synch screw between the carbs. Then go to the right side and set #3 to #4 with the rear screw between the carbs. When that is done, set those two to #2 with the front screw. Then you'll have to set the synch after it's running. Have you checked and replaced the plugs since you got it started?

Let us know

Has the synch been pre-set yet? If it's way off, it won't want to run at all. Pull the air box, and starting with #2 carb (LF) make sure the butterflies are closed all the way. #2 is controlled by the idle screw. The #1 (LR) is controlled by the synch screw between the carbs. Then go to the right side and set #3 to #4 with the rear screw between the carbs. When that is done, set those two to #2 with the front screw. Then you'll have to set the synch after it's running. Have you checked and replaced the plugs since you got it started?

Let us know

:sign yeah that:Thats what I was thinking.

I know some are probally tired of hearing this but 20 bucks worth of Sea-Foam. Do a good strong soak use it heavy for a few tanks. Run it like you stole it and 90 per cent of our carb problemes are cured. I'm thinking something is still plugged.

Let us know

Pretty good analysis of what I was thinking!

Other questions just to check while you're scratching your head that just could nave been overlooked by someone not familiar with a Venture:

• The two rubber bungs - are they both still in the bottom of each jet block ?
  • Did you or the mechanic remove the jet block, because just MAYBE the o-ring around the nozzle might have broken and been removed. (This is unlikely though as I'd expect the bike to run, albeit rich).
  • Did you manage to blow out any/all the jets with pressurised air ? Dislodged scudge could block a jet. (Although again blocking one or two is more likely.)
  • The pilot screws HAVE been wound back out to 2 3/4 turns out (or whatever is specified for your model) haven't they ?

Mine will run without the airbox, although it is harder to start and doesn't tickover. Until the carbs are balanced, though, you'll really be struggling. Especially if it is running weak, it will want a while to warm up before you stand even half a chance of balancing the carbs with the chole off.