IGNORED

Vancouver - W Kootenay - Thompson - Whistler return

SilvrT

Without going into details, here's a great 5 day ride from Vancouver. You'll see lots of exciting and varied scenery, not to mention the many historical landmarks.

Start anywhere around Vancouver and travel east to Osoyoos. Overnight there at either a camping spot or motel. Make a reservation if you're travelling during the peak season.

Second day, leave Osoyoos and travel east to Nelson. Beautiful scenic area with lots to see and do. Places to stay shouldn't require pre-booking.

Third day, leave Nelson and travel east towards Balfour & Kootenay Lake. Head north up the lake towards Kaslo. At Kaslo, head west to New Denver, then north to Revelstoke. Stay overnight at Revelstoke and be sure to check out the "music in the square" downtown during the summer. There's lots of camping and motels plus a few great resorts. Some will require a reservation or you won't get in. My personal favourite is Glacier House Resort. http://www.glacierhouse.com/ (mostly because I worked for them on contract before, during, and after the construction of the resort and of course because it's a fantastic place)

Fourth day, leave Revelstoke and head west, stopping overnight in either Kamloops, Cache Creek, or Lillooet. Kamloops is a major interior city whereas the other two are quite small. I prefer Lillooet as a stop over vs Cache Creek.

Fifth day, head west via Lillooet and towards Pemberton and Whistler village. Continue on that route through Squamish and finally back at Vancouver.

A great 5 day ride averaging about 5 - 6 hrs or so per day riding so lots of time for stopping here and there. All roads are in very good condition and offer a wide variety of straights, curves, hills, 2-lane, 4-lane, tight corners, etc.

I'd provide more detail but typing time today is limited. Possibly some of the folks viewing this who are from those areas can elaborate on places to stay, things to do, etc.

:)

• 3 months later...

You have just about decribed a ride my friend Faceman and I did in the early 80's, It is without a doubt a most varied scenery I have done in one loop. I think the only road I traveled twice was to and from my driveway.

The Whistler/Squamish hwy is ( or was back then ) a treat on a MC.

I now live on the Okanagan , and last summer I did the Trail/Nakusp/Home weekend which was great. The Oregon Coast was the other memorable trip. Not just for the scenery, but also for the people we met along the way.

You have just about decribed a ride my friend Faceman and I did in the early 80's, It is without a doubt a most varied scenery I have done in one loop. I think the only road I traveled twice was to and from my driveway.

The Whistler/Squamish hwy is ( or was back then ) a treat on a MC.

I now live on the Okanagan , and last summer I did the Trail/Nakusp/Home weekend which was great. The Oregon Coast was the other memorable trip. Not just for the scenery, but also for the people we met along the way.

I've ridden the Whistler/Squamish route several times as well as the one I mentioned above. I like also to go from Vancouver, up the Fraser Canyon to Cache Creek, just north of there swing over to Lillooet, over to Pemberton, then Whistler, Squamish, and back to Van. It's a 2 day trip and Lillooet is an interesting stop over. Also been down & up the Oregon coast. Going down is better coz you're on the ocean side of the highway but watch the weather coz it can be quite cold when a fog bank is hangin around.