IGNORED

Headlight/Starter Switch...

So the other day, my headlight refuses to come on after the bike starts. It has happened before, but it has always resolved itself. This time...nothing. Good thing I have fog lights.

So I start taking things apart. I thought it might be the HID light I just installed but a standard H4 refused to light as well.

Long story shorter; it was the starter switch. It was refusing to return all the way after use. There is a tiny gap between the spot where the light turns off and the starter lights. It was stuck in that spot. It would start but wouldn't light the lights.

A little lube and all is well.

Had the same problem which I understand is a common one. Went to Marcarl's and we took apart and cleaned the starter switch/light switch. There is an excellent post showing step by step pics for this. No problems since then.

• 9 years later...

I have had this same problem and it just occurred again. I was debating on weather or not to just buy another switch cluster off ebay but after reading this thread maybe I pull the switch apart and do a better job of cleaning and lubing it.

I have group of CBX owner that I have been getting together with for about 30 years now and inevitably I would end up working on my bike in the parking lot of the hotel. Sure enough last fall we got together and once again I needed to work on my bike in the parking lot at night with a bunch beer drinking consultants helping. After a couple of hours of changing bulbs and running wires one of the smarter consultants (he really has a reputation of being one of the best) suggested that it was most likely the switch since nothing else worked. Sure enough all I had to do was take the switch apart and put it back together and it worked. I jokingly said he fixed it telepathically.