IGNORED

Suggestions for Iowa-Wisc Mississippi river ride

Bwhite

We are planning a trip down to northeast Iowa/Southwest Wisconsin in the next several weeks for a ride along the Mississippi river.

Can anyone recommend roads, places of interest, a nice old style motel?

We did the river ride from Hastings, MN down to LaCrosse earlier this summer and it was wonderful. Stayed in Fountain City, WI one nite at an older style motel that was completely refurbished. The motel owners were just wonderful. They hung out with us outside in the evening and chatted.

We were in the area earlier this year and visited the ball field from the movie "Field of Dreams". It has been maintain exactly the same as when the movie was shot. We took a dinner cruise on the Mississippi in Dubuque, IL. Galena is a great town to visit. definitely redone for the tourist who shop and eat.

The L&M motel in Savana, ILL is so biker friendly! They can hook you up with some dang good area roads to. http://www.l-mmotel.com/

US 52 in Iowa is a good ride. On the south side of Bellview is a park that over looks the city and river.

C9Y from Dubuque to Balltown is a great road too. Balltown is home to Iowa's oldes bar. (Good food, even if it has burnt down twice in the last 5 years).

Fenelon place elevator > http://www.dbq.com/fenplco/index.html

River run http://www.motorcycleroads.com/routes/MidWest/IA/IA_1.shtml

Also check out the Wisconsin leaf lookers weekend in October 7th to the 10th. We are going to have a couple of rides you are welcome to ride along with. And camp fire, food and lots of BS. :sign woo hoo: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51069

Bryan

Edited by bryan52577

We spent a week in that area in late July this year. What a great area to ride. We did do C9Y in Iowa, and that was a fine ride, but it had nothing on the roads that we hit in WI. If you do go on C9Y, make an ice cream stop at "Greasers" in Guttenberg, IA. Cherry Amaretto Fudge, or something like that, was THE best ice cream flavor.

We rode mostly in WI, in an area from LaCrosse on the NW corner, La Valle on the NE, Sextonville on the SE, and Prairie du Chien on the SW corner. We also ran the Great River Road down to Dubuque, crossed the river, and came back up on the other side. We put on 1800 miles that week, which isn't SO many miles, but we spent a lot of time in the saddle on roads that aren't exactly built for speed. Stayed in a great house near DeSoto, WI that we found on VRBO.com. I know you asked about an older hotel, but if you are traveling with friends, you can get up to 5 couples in the house we rented with lots of room for living space. Very reasonable for even 3 couples to share. Only downfall of the place for bikers is that there is about 1 mile of gravel road to get there. We live on gravel so ride a couple miles in and out every time we ride, so no big deal. It was reasonably well maintained, and well worth the bother to get to that house.

As far as recommended roads, I don't know where to start, because you can't go wrong. In general, for big sweepers and more open views, stick with the numbered roads (33, 82, 171, for example). For tighter curves, less traffic, and even better scenery, head for the county roads with single letter designations (M, A, X, P, for instance). For even quieter, curvier, narrower routes thru the deepest of hollers, head for the 2-letter county roads (PI, UU, for instance).

Off and on, you'll be in Amish country, so watch for the buggies. Lots of old rural churches, crops grown on the contour (which I think are always a pretty scene) and woods scattered throughout the area make for great scenery. Most of the roads are either in the valley following the stream, or on the ridge between 2 of these valleys, with great views of the valleys. Here and there you get the transition from top to bottom. I see you're in Mankato, so we're not so far away from you. Feel free to pm or call me. Number should be in my profile.

If we could get away in October, we'd be all over the WI leaf-lookers gathering. That should be a great time to ride in that area. If you can swing it at that time, I'd be thinking real hard on that one. Have a wonderful time, whenever, and wherever you go.:dancefool::dancefool:

$7 will buy you a boat ride across the river if you get south of Prairie Du Chien another 30 miles or so.

Cassville ferry runs from Cassville, WI to Turkey Point, IA. About a mile of gravel in the IA side, but no big deal, we've done it several times.

As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong finding nice places to ride along the river!:080402gudl_prv:

Maybe see you at the Leaf Looker Weekend the Bryan mentioned.

Later, Scooter Bob

PS. That darned inflation. I see it's up to $8 for a bike now, and only open on Friday-Sunday outside of the summer months. http://www.cassville.org/rates%20and%20schedule.htm

Edited by Scooter Bob
added PS and ferry info

Also, Belluvue Iowa is beautiful. If you don't mind going further south, Sabula IA is also a great view heading down River Road (Route 52). Right across from Sabula is Savanna, IL which has the famous Poopy's Bar & Grill. Definitely a motorcycle stop.