IGNORED

Audio Volume Control

It seems my volume knob quit working. The speakers beep when I change FM stations. No display when rotating the volume control. This is true for radio, cassette and aux. All other displays work and I can cycle through every selection. There is sound when CB is on but I cannot control it with the colume knob. SP is selected not HS. Just wondering if anyone else has had this propblem before I begin tearing things apart.

Semper Fi

Mark

It seems my volume knob quit working. The speakers beep when I change FM stations. No display when rotating the volume control. This is true for radio, cassette and aux. All other displays work and I can cycle through every selection. There is sound when CB is on but I cannot control it with the colume knob. SP is selected not HS. Just wondering if anyone else has had this propblem before I begin tearing things apart.

Semper Fi

Mark

You didn't bother to tell us what model of bike you have, nor how old it is, but I'll assume it is an RSV. Your specific symptom of only the volume knob not working is not a common complaint, so it sounds like the control head may be bad.

However, it is quite common for relatively new RSVs to have intermittent problems with various control head functions, and this is usually caused by poor pin contact in one of the round plugs inside the fairing, so that would be a good place to start.

Split the fairing and find the bundle of round plugs next to the right side of the radio (the throttle side). Unplug and replug each of them several times so any surface oxidation will be rubbed off the pin contacts. Now use a bit of dielectric grease on the contacts before you put each of them back together the last time - that will prevent any future problems. If your problem is not in the control head itself, this will fix it. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Just thought of another test that my help isolate the problem to either the actual volume knob or the radio. When you turn on the CB and then push the CB button a second time you can adjust the squelch up and down. Interestingly, the squelch can be changed with EITHER the up/down buttons OR the volume knob, so try both. If only the up/down buttons change the squelch, you won't know any more than you do now, but if the volume knob also changes the squelch, then you have proven that the knob does still work.

Edited by V7Goose
Thought of another test

i had the same problem with mine took it to a dealer they took the controler off sent it off to be fixed 10 weeks later i get a call and it is not the controler so they want the amp so i go back to dealer and they take it off to be sent out and that was 3 weeks ago so here i am with no radio since early May. before i sent it off i did every thing that Kent said to do but had no luck maybe yours is better.:fingers-crossed-emo