IGNORED

Beartooth in Sept?

BJB

Hello Everyone.

Just trying to put together a bike trip this Sept. Was planning to going to Billings, then south to Red Lodge and head for Cooke City, and keep going west to exit park and head for Livingston. I expect some very cool temps in the pass, but hope this is a good choice for route? Does someone have better suggestions? We plan to keep heading west and eventually head up to BC and the Nelson area before turning back east to home. Maybe we should do the trip in the reverse direction? Open to all ideas.

Would like to do Chief Joseph also but perhaps save that for next year on the way to Cody?

Thanks.

I guess one of my questions was is the ride from Cooke City to Northwest entrance of park a good one too. Or, should I turn around at Cooke City and go back over Beartooth again or Chief Joseph? Not sure about driving through Yellowstone is all.

Yellowstone is a nice place to visit. Once. After that, maybe not so much. But then that could just be me. There's usually way too many people for my tastes.

The north east entrance is mostly through a big valley and across a high plateau. When we've been there it was heavy with bison, though the last time there was no shortage of them further south, as well.

I'd say go back down the Beartooth, then go back up. This time turn left on the Chief Joseph and go to Cody. Head west and go through the park, past the lake, then past Old Facefull. Stay on 191 to Four Corners, which takes you past all the stinky stuff in the Park, then head for 90. Go west to 287 and head north to Choteau. From there 89 to St. Mary and across Going To The Sun. Or if you'd like to cross Glacier from the other direction you can work your way up the west side and go east across Going To The Sun.

Or some variation of that.

I would keep a close eye on the weather is all. We found snow at altitude in the middle of summer in Colorado.

I was thinking that Yellowstone shouldnt be too bad for people that time of year either...most of the tourists should be gone as school is back in session.

What part of sept are you gonna be there? My wife and I are leaving Alabama on the 10th and probably will be in the Yellowstone area around the14th, will probably spend about 3 or 4 days in the area before heading up to Basin Mont. to visit some friends and then over to the Black Hills and back south.

At the moment, we plan to head down to Billlings area around Sept 4/5th so would be earlier than what you are planning.

Have revised my plan somewhat and think we will head down to Cody area, then take the Chief Joseph highway, turn right at the junction, and take the Beartooth to Red Lodge and hang a left and head west around Billings again. From there we can continue our westerly direction.