IGNORED

only 2 posts in here?

SilvrT

Seems nobody wants to admit to anything .... or few have had embarrassing moments (I doubt that).

In 40 years of riding, I've only dumped my bike three times...and each time was when it was standing still !!

First time I was parked at the edge of a grassed area. We were all at a party at a campsite. I decided to move my bike, went running across the grassed area and jumped onto my bike (from the side of the kick stand) as though I was the Lone Ranger mounting Silver or something. Granted, I'd had a few brewskies by this time. Well, my momentum when I hit the saddle caused the bike to fall over the opposite side. There I was, sprawled on the ground with my bike on top of me. That was sure the topic for quite a while.

Second time was no biggie...it just fell over as I was backing up over bunch grass mounds down a bit of a slope. I didn't get caught under it but needed help from a neighbor to lift it up.

Third time (with my 85 VR) I was parked in front of a bike shop. Came out, got on my bike (from the side stand side), plunked my butt down on the seat, heard a *snap* and down I went. Managed to push myself clear as the bike and me fell over. Several "bikers" were milling around and a few got a chuckle at my embarrassment. Had to get help lifting it again. Danged side stand broke. But that wasn't the worst of it. When I got home, I was having trouble getting off the bike and keeping it steady so that it wouldn't fall over... I'm a slender, older guy and that was a bit too much of a task for me (at the time coz I was still rattled from falling off it) so I had to ask this lady and her quite a bit older father to hold the bike steady while I got off and was able to get it onto the centre stand. Unfortunately for me, neither of them spoke english!!! Amazing what sign language can do!

Well, I should count my blessings as at least I've never fallen off while in motion (and hopefully never will). That wouldn't be funny or embarrassing at all.

:225:

I have wrecked a few bikes but I can set here and tell you all I have never droped a bike while sitting still knock on wood:smile5:

That's cause if you're not sitting still you didn't drop it,...........................YOU CRASHED!!! :stirthepot::rotf: :stickinouttounge:

well it just takes a whole lot to embaress me. dropping my bike in front of others certainly doesn't rise to that level. in fact, if i drop a bike i hope for a crowd so someone can help me pick it up. worse thing would be all alone in a situation where i couldn't get it up off the ground by myself, like maybe if it was laying on a slope with the wheels on the uphill side.

That's cause if you're not sitting still you didn't drop it,...........................YOU CRASHED!!! :stirthepot::rotf: :stickinouttounge:

ok i crashed 2 only one was my fault and 2 others were crashed out from under me neather my fault and 1 well now how do i list it i was peeled off the bike by a crow still not my fault

that only makes one my fault for reasons of stupididy

so see thats not so bad:innocent:

I might have posted this before, but I was at a gas station in North Dakota, pulled up along the pumps, got off and headed for the can. Got about 12 feet away and heard this loud crash. You guessed it, forgot to put the kickstand down. Right about then I could've crawled under a rock!

Here's one I posted before the crash. A year ago last fall when I got my bike I hadn't been on one for several years. The last machine I had ridden with any regularity was an '85 Honda ATC 350X, a three wheeler, meaning - no kickstand. About the second or third time I rode my new-to-me bike, I pulled into a gas station and nearly dropped it into the pump because I forgot that I couldn't just stand up off of the thing and it stays put. I was glad only one other person was around. He became aware that I was having a bit of difficulty but I don't know how much he actually saw. It only got about halfway down before I got ahold of it and picked it back up and put the kickstand down. I was relieved that I didn't cause any scratches or dents.

Here's another one that happened last summer. This has to worse than dropping the bike. I finished filling up with gas, went to pull away from the pump and leave, and the rear floorboard catches the pump hose and yanks it out of the pump at the emergency disconnect. I felt like an absolute freaking moron. The guy behind me wheels around to another pump. This is a place I go frequently. All the people who work there know me. The gal has to call the owner to come look at the situation; he lives only a couple blocks away. When I told him how it happened he understood a little better. He said he sure wondered how someone could forget about a pump hose still in the tank right in front of them. Well, I wasn't quite that much of a moron. I park a little farther away from the pumps now, even to where I have to lean over to reach the hose. I try to double check when I leave that I'm free of hoses, but I know I don't remember every time...

I can honestly say ive never dumped a bike . well except for the one time I got into deep gravel on a construction site. Oh and ther was that one time i jumped on a bke side saddle to get it started and i fell over to the other side . oh i guess I did lay one down nce when a p/u truck cut a turn right acrooss the front of me, not my fault . Oh yeh a tree jumped out and atacked me during a back country mx race causing me go down, not my fault either i guess

I might have posted this before, but I was at a gas station in North Dakota, pulled up along the pumps, got off and headed for the can. Got about 12 feet away and heard this loud crash. You guessed it, forgot to put the kickstand down. Right about then I could've crawled under a rock!

Another "star" for the VR... it can stand by itself (for a while)!

(I'm assuming you were on a VR?)

i couldn't get it up off the ground by myself, like maybe if it was laying on a slope with the wheels on the uphill side.

That's exactly what happened to me a couple months ago. Fortunately, the guy behind me helped me get it back on its wheels again. I wasn't really embarrassed, just annoyed at the road: sloped & rutted. Wasn't able to avoid the rut in the rain. I don't like that road (at the stop light, where it happened) even when it's dry.

• 4 months later...

There I was being all cool and everthing, pulled up to a red light...Sheriff Dep. right beside me... I normally ride in boots, but was just going to the store, so put on some hiking boots ( Lace Up`s )...well, as I pulled up next to the officer and went to put my left foot down... I was s`prised to find out that my shoe lace had got wrapped around the shifter and well, you know what happened next.. thank god it was my shadow and not my SRV..

Hi Rick how ya doin, funny I should read this post today, I was leaving for work this morning, and dropped my bike in the driveway. I was backing out of my garage where my wifes car is on one side of the driveway and my travel trailer on the other side. About a 4 foot slot to back my bike down between them, for some unknown reason I let the bike lean a little to far to the right and it started to go. I was straining like crazy trying to get it up but couldnt do it. I gently leaned it against the wifes car got off and with a mighty heave I got it up I was so worn out by now the damn thing kept going over til it was resting on my trailer. You ever see a grown man cry? I got it up from there and only ended up with a small scuff mark on the fairing. Worst part is the big scuff mark on the wifes car. Oh well thats life, :confused24::confused24::confused24:I guess I forgot these ventures are more top heavy than a goldwing.

I havn't dropped my bike yet, and I'm sure the day will come. I was told by another Venture rider that if you feel the bike going over and can't hold it up, it will rest on the engine and saddle bag guards and not fall over completely. Can anyone verify this?

I havn't dropped my bike yet, and I'm sure the day will come. I was told by another Venture rider that if you feel the bike going over and can't hold it up, it will rest on the engine and saddle bag guards and not fall over completely. Can anyone verify this?

YUP!!! guess how I know :whistling:

DJ

In a slow roll yes. Been there, Done that, Bought the shirt! LOL

Yes, unless you are making a slow left turn on a slight side slope with your spouse on the back. Unfortunately, the little extra weight caused the bike to go over the fulcrum point of the cowl and saddlebag guards.

I scratched the fairing and banged up the passing lamp. For now, I guess it has character. Not sure how to fix the fairing, other than repaint. I also have to find a the chrome ring for the passing lamp.

But I still love the bike. I have to remember it is heavy and that a) take this into consideraiton when mounting and b) practice, practice, practice.

I see this is an old thread that somebody very recently revived. Prompted me to post. I went into my local hardware store t'other day where a mate works. He incidentally rides a crotch rocket, and is in the throes of repairing it after running off the side of a hill. The general conversation got around to how long before his bike is back on the road, then progresses to how many times we had dropped our bikes in our lifetimes. I told him that I'd never dropped a bike (unless you count the time my BMW sidestand dug into the grass, sunk and lay down) and he asked me how long I'd been riding. Told him I started whilst still in high school (like - 1969) and he couldn't believe it. He's in his late 30s and has been riding for around 8 years. He's come to grief 3 times. Another of his mates who is in his early 30s has had 9 stacks. Another former mate of his who used to ride an 1100 Honda crotch rocket, was known by all and sundry for his ability to pop a near vertical wheelstand from the lights and hold it for a block until the next set of lights. He did it once too often and ended up in the path of a ute (I think you call them a pick-up) - his fault, not the ute driver - and he was buried 3 days later. There were testimonials as to what a great guy he was, what a great football player he was etc etc. I sent a letter to my local paper giving them a few facts as to the dangers of riding like a richard cranium but they refused to print it. Apparently the truth hurts. His Dad wrote to the paper and was interviewed by one of the local radio stations, wherein he stressed the need for people - especially motorcyclists - to be more vigilant and more careful on the roads. A pity he didn't tell his son that before he became another grim statistic. Yes - I feel for his family. Yes - I grieve and a little bit of me dies every time I hear of another biker riding on. But NO! I cannot accept the stupidity that some of the bike fraternity displays (for whatever reason I do not know) for the sake of being noticed or of getting a few thrills. When it's all over, you're a long time dead. Nobody will remember the wheel stands. Nobody will remember the loud exhaust. Nobody will remember the crazy riding displays in and out of the traffic lanes. But they will remember the family left behind to grieve and to wonder why.