IGNORED

front remote controller for audio/cb

I have intermitant use of my CB since sometimes it will turn on and other times it will not. I am sure that if I open the front remote controller and clean the contacts on the CB switch it will work. Just checking with the real pros!

:farmer:

On an older bike it could be almost anything, including the contacts inside the control head as you suggest. The classic problem that causes this is pin contact in the red plug (just going by memory here for the color) inside the fairing. On newer bikes, this is almost always cured by re-seating those plugs several times and giving the contacts a coating of dielectric grease. There is a bundle of round plugs on the right (brake) side of the radio - do them all if you are in there. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Sylvester - there are two connectors under the passenger seat as well. One of them is for the CB (I do not recall which) but that would be one to check as well. And in actuality, if you are experiencing problems with ONLY the CB, that would be something I would go ahead and check first. You did mention that you are pulling the fairing off anyways, so you ought to do the other plugs while that is off anyways - as a preventative measure, if nothing else.

Hopefully it is something simple for you! By the way, the handlebar controls do NOT come apart very easily, so be careful if you go that route.

:080402gudl_prv:

Split the fairing, opened the white, blue, red, yellow connectors and inserted di-electric grease, then did the two under the passenger seat. No luck! It may be the front remote controller or it may be the CB unit itself, since it works intermitent. Maybe while I am riding the CB gets a jolt and then works again. I plan on removing the controller and checking the switch. If I don't lose to many parts and I get it back together and it does't work then I will try the CB box.

Split the fairing, opened the white, blue, red, yellow connectors and inserted di-electric grease, then did the two under the passenger seat. No luck! It may be the front remote controller or it may be the CB unit itself, since it works intermitent. Maybe while I am riding the CB gets a jolt and then works again. I plan on removing the controller and checking the switch. If I don't lose to many parts and I get it back together and it does't work then I will try the CB box.

Did you actually CLEAN the connectors or just put in some of the di-electric grease?

The di-electric grease does not clean the contacts. It is actually an insulator and limits conductivity, but the idea of it is to help keep moisture off of the contacts as to prohibit (or at least slow down) the corrosion process.

If you didn't, it would be worth getting some QD Electric contact cleaner and soaking the connectors really well, unplug and plug them into each other several time, blow out with compressed air, give another shot of the cleaner, and plug & unplug some more. Let them air out, unplugged for a few minutes (or shoot them with compressed air again) before reassembling. THEN, put a small dab of the dielectric grease on each and hook-er all back up.

I'd check for a loose ground where the CB is actually grounded to the bike. (I believe this is accessible by removing the passenger seat without removing the trunk - but I'd have to go look.

The handlebar controllers seem to go for around $200 form pinwall + s&h of course. The CB units I have seen, on occasion, go for ~300.

Unfortunately, there is not much else that you can do to test it. If I was closer, I'd say lets get together and switch handlebar units to see if the problem stays with your bike or 'transfers to mine'... Maybe you can find someone close enough to do that with.

:080402gudl_prv:

By the way, with your kind of mileage, It wouldn't surprise me if either of the unit has finally [started] to bite the dust. That is A LOT of time spent outside, in the elements, and lots of bumps.

I have intermitant use of my CB since sometimes it will turn on and other times it will not. I am sure that if I open the front remote controller and clean the contacts on the CB switch it will work. Just checking with the real pros!

I had some weird probs with mine last year and it turned out to be the silliest and yet strangest reason..

Though the cable from the controller was loose and not 'binding' anywhere, it was however pinched amongst the other wires where it the controller cable came down and around the neck area before heading up to the radio itself..

Sounds stupid and yes, very odd, but it was as if the electrons were being squeezed out.. I rerouted the cable until it was loose and all was good since then..

There was no strain or pull at the controller or radio end of the cable, just that it was being pinched at the neck by other cables..

That's what happened to mine and how I fixed mine..

Thanks for all the help. I have the contoller loose and am taking it to a friends tomorrow to test it. I have checked the CB and the ground. Cleaned all the pin connectors front and back and added di-electric grease. If the controller works on friends Venture then the CB is suspect. If it doesn't I will bring his to my shop and see if that works. For you information a new controller is $785.00 from Yamaha. I tried Pinwall without success.

I took my controller over to a friend who was installing new speakers in his 06 RSV. I plugged it into his connection and it worked just fine. So after cleaning all the contacts (five in front and two in back) again, I will be taking the tank off and chasing the audio wires. After that I have nothing left but the CB unit. I will put the bike back together since I am getting my new re-uphostered leather seats back on Friday (I will post pictures). Does anyone have a spare CB that is good that would be willing to sell to me OR ship to me for a trial and I will ship back and pay all shipping costs?

By the way, the 40 watt J&M speakers he installed sound great. Better bass and no distortion at high volume.