IGNORED

cutting out

warriorhoneybee

10925.1 i"ll try to make this short as i can.i bought an 06 black cherry venture with 59760 miles on it and thought i checked it fairly well,no compression check,pull plugs etc but did test drive and seem to run well other than front brakes wernt to good and the clutch was not right and it would idle fast sometimes and seemed to be a little to cold nature.(hell i guess i didnt check it out to well after all!). after talking to the service department i did get them to replace the clutch,fix the front brakes and clean out the fuel tank,clean out the carbs and replace the fuel filterand syn the carbs,twice.heres what it done.had cruise set at 75 pulling a slight incline while low on fuel and it cut out on me.chalked it up to possably to low on fuel. filled it up ran good for two days and once againg pulling a slight incline with no cruise this time runnimg about 73 rolled off the throtle till about 62 and gave it some more throttle and it just about chocked out but i did get it to take fuel after i slowed down to 41 and like to got ran over. the dealer lokked at it againg did there deal rand good for three days and cut out on me again leaving drive way. i think its the choke some how closeing and smothering it,can someone help? thanks.:bang head: i know other people have had the same problem but seems like i did some of the thing people suggested with no possative results.

... pulling a slight incline with no cruise this time runnimg about 73 rolled off the throtle till about 62 and gave it some more throttle and it just about chocked out but i did get it to take fuel after i slowed down to 41 and like to got ran over. ...

I'll start this off with the disclamer that I'm probably the least qualified for advice here, but have no fear, the true masters ought to jump in soon...

To start off:

This might sound like a silly question, but what gear were you in while you were trying to climb this hill? That certainly would not explain the low fuel light but they may be unrelated.

If you came off of a V-twin, it is possible that you are simply not riding this bike in the right rev range for optimal performance.

As far as the fuel light, like I said, it could be related and it may not be. If it just so happens that you were really that low on fuel and the incline was steep enough, you may have been starving for fuel. For reference, the Rev limited on a stock bike in 3rd gear kicks in at an indicated 94 MPH, 4th is somewhere well above where the needle goes to. So if you were trying to climb even the slightest hill at 60 in 5th, it is entirely possible that your bike is fine and it is just that you were in the wrong gear.

The fuel sending unit is located inside the tank on the left side. I have found that when my light comes on, I can do a few real sharp counter clockwise U-turns and get my fuel light to go off for another couple of miles. The tank straddles the frame and has no connection between the two sides that hang down on either side of the frame. The petcock and sending unit are both on the left side.

For reference, I can go anywhere between 5-10 miles when my low fuel light comes on before switching to reserve (with normal riding).

To my knowledge, the low fuel light is not part of any part of the bikes 'on board diagnostic system'. That is, it only turns on when you are (or it thinks you are) low on fuel. This is why I think that while you notice a correlation between the problems, there is likely no causal link between the two.

Just some thoughts for you.

I'm sure others will chime in with more complete thoughts, but, maybe this bump will get you going.

Other responses you are likely to get that may help:

1) Run some seafoam through to help clean up anything left in the carbs

2) Replace the fuel filter

3) check the fuel pump (clicking when you turn the key to the on position) -- A good test is run it dry (turn the fuel off and ride around a little bit), then safely pull over and turn the key to the off position. turn the petcock to the ON position, then turn the key on (but don't start it). You should hear a fast ticking, slow eventually then stop -- which is the fuel pump filling the carbs. -- you may want to drain the float bowles before you do this.

4) Check/clean the air filters

5) Check the resistance of the ignition wire caps -- or whatever the fancy technical name is for them. Should be something like 10-12k Ohms

6) You mention your choke knob may be the culpret -- it is possible that got bent some how; you could check to make sure that nothing binds when it moves.

Anyhoo, hopefully it is something simple. And I realize that this is a rather broad list, some of which it sounds like you have already PAID to have done. But again, hopefully this bump will get you going.

:080402gudl_prv:

OH yea, and WELCOME!!!

After hearing all that the dealer did, I'd suspect the fuel pump is starting to fail. They can fail in a very sneaky way. When it fails, it will be very hot. After it cools off, it will start working again for a couple days or weeks, or minutes.

It is probably your fuel pump. I'd bypass it by running a new line straight from the tank to the carb input and ride it like that for a week or so to see if any problems show up like they did before (pull the fuel pump fuse while it is bypassed).

If it doesn't act up while the pump is bypassed, then go back on the pump and see how long it takes before the problems come back (do not forget to put the fuse back in).

While this test is not conclusive, it is very easy to do and cost almost nothing. If the problems never show up while you are on gravity feed, but they come back with the pump, you have pretty good evidence that the pump is going bad. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

thanks for all of your feed back ,diffently gave me some things to work on.i did drop it back off at the dealer today but will probably have to fix it myself when i get it back. thanks goose for the info i will bypass the fuel pump and see if that dose it and if it dose it can i go back to old school gravity feed or do i still need the fuel pump? that was one of my modes i was fixing to do to my road star before i got this venture.and to answer your question muffin (i belive that who ask it)i live right off of montreat road on 7th street.between the super 8 and the koa.pretty wild ha? 828-713-1600 is my number or i'm listed as a supportimg member.again thanks for the help and look forward to getting to met some of you in aug. i will try to take thurs & fri off so i can enjoy the fellowship with the venture ridders and make some new friends.:bang head:

thank goose, i will do that. salior i dont know for sure but thats how it feels and sounds,if the dealer cant fix it i will add that to my growing list with help from all of you ,i'm sure i will be able to trace the problem and fix it. thanks for all the info. its realy nice to be a new member and get this kind of responce.:) ride hard or stay at home:fingers-crossed-emo

i dont know if they found anything in the air filters but i will ask them when they call me.if they cant fix it i have a big list from all of you that i'll check and hopefuly will have it back in time to meet who evers comming to asheville in august.i'm not saying i'm just saying.c-me later:12101:

heres an update, talk to dealer one week and a day later and they said they finaly got it to cut off and said the bowl was empty and when they took the hose off the petcock no fuel came out and that when they switched it over to res it started pouring fuel out.i dont think they know to much but if i ever get it back i think i can fix it. i mean how many thing could cause that??

ya goose i think your right on the bozo part.trying to get up with them to see if they were cranking on it when they took the hose off or just setting there. thanks for all the help and i will keep an update on it so it may help someone in the future. i found someone having the same problem on here but never found out what they did to solve the problem.

I guess I should update my flippant remark on the chance that your petcock is bad - obviously it is not really "zero" chance, but the odds are pretty darned low.

But I think there is a good chance you have a vacuum lock on the tank. That is not real common, but it does happen from time to time, and it especially shows up when a fuel pump starts acting up too. I don't think this was discussed earlier in this thread, but I have not gone back and re-read all the posts. Sorry that thought didn't come to me sooner.

If the problem is vacuum lock, then you may have a sticking rollover valve in the vent hose (I'm not 100% positive that there is such a valve on this bike, but I think so). But the hole in the vent tube is VERY small, so something could be blocking that too. It is easy to diagnose when the problem starts, you just open the tank and see if the problem goes away. You should also hear a whoosh as the air rushes in when the cap is opened.

Goose

o trust me goose if it can happen it will happen to me,i dont seem to do anything simple. i probably have a bad petcock,vacum and a failing fuel pump! but the good news is with help from you and others i feel that i will get this demmon off of my back,thanks for all the info. i will keep plugging along at it until problem is solved. the only thing about it is if i throw all of that at it i wont be sure which one took care of the problem.i just want to ride my baby again, and the bike. ha ha

well i picked it up yesterday and they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it but did offer me a 6 month warrenty, however if they couldnt find anything this time what good is the 6 month warrenty? i put 146 miles on it today and ran like a champ. see you good people in a copule of weeks at the koa in asheville.