IGNORED

Long Island to Mt Washington

ablumny

This coming weekend Im leading nine bikes from Long Island up to Mt Washington; a 3 day trip.

Day one plan was to get as far north as possible staying off the main arteries as much as possible.

Day two, top of the mountain and surrounding roads.

Day three buzz home, probably highways to New London CT for the ferry to Long Island.

SO, any road tips up on day one and around the Mt Washington area on day two are appreciated.

thx

andrew

Just got back from NE, RT 16N to Gorham is a nice ride, You will pass the Mt Washington auto rd. if ya want to ride to the top. 112 is the Kancamagus Hwy you want to ride it. Bear Notch Rd off the Kanc Hwy is pretty cool. 302 to 3 takes you by the Mt Wash. cog railway. 3 is loaded with places to stay and takes you thru Franconia Notch. RT 3S will take you into Weirs Beach and around Lake Winnipasaki. Your best bet is to stop at a Visitors center and pick up the free maps of the area. Lots of neat little back roads, but ya gotta watch alot of them arent paved. It was not crowded at all and we really didnt see many bikes. Lots of nice places to stay around Lake Winni. It is a beautiful area. Only takes a few hrs to get over to the coast of Maine. or head west into VT.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

HEY! When are you leaving? I am leaving this Thursday morning. I am heading up to VT & then East to NH & Maine with a stop over at MT. Washington.

The plan route:

-Taconic Pkwy

-Rt. 7 from Mass, to VT

-Rt. 7A to Mt. Equinox (a preview for my daughter before Mt. Washington)

-Rt. 11 to 100 north to Ben&Jerry

-302 east to NH Rt, 2

-Rt. 2 to Rt. 17 Maine (some say is the north part of the Blue Ridge)

-Loop West & South on Rt 16 to the top of Mt. Washington

-Rt. 16 South to 302 West to Bear Notch rd (new black top on this one)

-East on 112 to 49 South to 93 South to exit 24 Rt. 3

-Rt. 3 to Weirs Beach Laconia

-Then a B line home

3 days should be enough but I'll take 4 for relaxing and site seeing.

Hope to see you on the road I'll be on a 06' Black Cherry.

PS. No charge on the itinerary!!

Edited by Ferrantelli

HEY! When are you leaving? I am leaving this Thursday morning. I am heading up to VT & then East to NH & Maine with a stop over at MT. Washington.

The plan route:

-Taconic Pkwy

-Rt. 7 from Mass, to V

-Rt. 7A to Mt. Equinox (a preview for my daughter before Mt. Washington)

-Rt. 11 to 100 north to Ben&Jerry

-302 east to NH Rt, 2

-Rt. 2 to Rt. 17 Maine (some say is the north part of the Blue Ridge)

-Loop West & South on Rt 16 to the top of Mt. Washington

-Rt. 16 South to 302 West to Bear Notch rd (new black top on this one)

-East on 112 to 49 South to 93 South to exit 24 Rt. 3

-Rt. 3 to Weirs Beach Laconia

-Then a B line home

3 days should be enough but I'll take 4 for relaxing and site seeing.

Hope to see you on the road I'll be on a 06' Black Cherry.

PS. No charge on the itinerary!!

We are leaving Saturday morning. Plan on taking our time to get as far north as possible Saturday. Get to Mt Washington and area for Sunday, then come back Monday. Im going to try and map this out tomorrow. Thx for the itinerey; Ill take a look on my map program.

Ever head up to Mt Greylock in MA? great place!

thx

andrew

We are leaving Saturday morning. Plan on taking our time to get as far north as possible Saturday. Get to Mt Washington and area for Sunday, then come back Monday. Im going to try and map this out tomorrow. Thx for the itinerey; Ill take a look on my map program.

Ever head up to Mt Greylock in MA? great place!

thx

andrew

Pretty much the same ride we took last week, after Laconia we headed over to Kennebunkport Maine. Do not take your bike over 125 in VT, was told it was a great road! They lied:bang head:

• 11 months later...

Almost a year later Im taking this run! Life just kept getting in the way :)

Here's my route plan, hoping anyone local can advise on my choices:

- From Long Island, taking the ferry to Bridgeport and slabing it on 91N to Route 10 near Lebanon (Vermont/NH border)

- Near Newbury getting on 116 thru Fraconia to 302

- 302, south and east to Bear Notch Rd to East part of Kancamagus Rd then onto Conway

- Out of Conway, 302 to 5N into Maine, loop back around thru Greenwood and Norway to Rt 37 and back to Conway.

- Out of Conway, along NH/Maine border on 113 to Rt 2 west to 16 south. Stop at Mt Washington, continue South on 16 back to Kancamagus West to 93 and south to Bridgeport or New London ferry....

Full (and long) days+ and loads of miles (~800) in two days but we're ready.

Any input is appreciated.

Andrew

If your time allows take either Rte 100 north in VT, great bike road but will be well traveled on the weekend peak times. Or even better slide on over to the NH side of the CT. River and take the road that hugs the eastern shore, great road that almost no one knows about because Rte 100 is so popular. Also make sure to ride the Kangamangus Hwy in the White Mountain area. Lots of great views.

If your time allows take either Rte 100 north in VT, great bike road but will be well traveled on the weekend peak times. Or even better slide on over to the NH side of the CT. River and take NH 12A, great road that almost no one knows about because Rte 100 is so popular. Also make sure to ride the Kangamangus Hwy in the White Mountain area. Lots of great views.

• 3 years later...

Long Island is an ideal destination to enjoy adventures activities. I have been to this destination few months ago with my family. Actually we have been there to celebrate our Christmas and New Year celebration. During this journey we have been decided to go there for some fun.