IGNORED

Oil on Front Tire

While changeing the oil today I noticed oil around both sides of my front tire rim, any clues as to what it could be. I have never added brake fluid and if a seal went on my forks I don't think it would land on both sides of the front rim? couldn't see where it was coming from I cleaned it off and so far it hasn't returned. My brakes are working in the front as well and the fluid is ok in the sight glass.

Guest tx2sturgis

Sounds like a blown fork seal or two. Watch for oil on the fork sliders just under the tins, or even near the axle.

Just to cover all bases, is it possible that oil came from a gutter or other low spot where you might have parked? I know...not likely.

Hey Rick,

If I remember correctly, didn't you say your bike came off the kick stand and went over recently? If that's the case I have seen where a fork seal will let a small amount of oil out when the bike is tipped. It hides in the dust seal, and during hot days will seep out. It's sorta' a one shot deal as long as the bike doesn't get tipped over again. Should be no harm, no foul, except that fork is going to be a few c.c.'s of fluid short. If you have questions about adding more fluid, PM me.:thumbsup2:

Earl