OK, this could be something that I did but I'll put as much information in here as possible.

I have a coolant leak, usually after riding the bike and it gets hot, looks like it is coming from the right side (looking forward of the radiator).

I'm having some trouble tracking the leak down. The radiator itself always stays completly full. In fact if the bike is cold and I remove the cap fluid will come out. The temp when riding always stays right in the middle of the green after it warms up. The overflow tank is empty, and I just filled it to the proper level a few weeks ago after I changed the radiator fluid.

There was a slow leak from the drain plug but I replaced the gasket under that and it isn't coming from there. The puddle is a little forward and left of where that puddle was!

Both ends of the overflow tank hose are connected (assuming it connects right under the cap of the radiator), so it isn't disconnected. Here are the items I think may be an issue, I was wondering if I could get some help on where to start looking.

- Overflow tank hose has a crack.

- Overflow tank itself has a crack.

- When I changed the coolant I wasn't exactly sure if the knob you turn (I believe they called it a drain diverter or something) got put back in the correct spot. I couldn't find the writing they talked about. Not sure if this would cause a leak.

Thanks for any help you can give. Let me know if you need some pictures I can go snap some.

I'm trying to get everything buttoned up as best I can before our first trip on the bike this weekend.

:pushups:

What exactly did you replace inside the drain plug; a gasket or an O'ring? Should had been the later. Also the drain plug when looking straight at it should be turned to the 2 o'clock position. I also had a leaky drain plug and even though it was an extremely slight leak, the drop or drops would accumulate on the garage floor sometimes in a different orientation to the drain plug. What I am saying is, are you sure the leak still isn't your drain plug? Remove your nose piece, run it until hot, park it and take a look see.

I replaced part 13 on this schematic: 214-11198-01-00 It was a little metal crush-type gasket.

That is what I used to drain the coolant. I am pretty sure it isn't leaking, I've checked with toilet paper every 5 minutes for an hour after getting it hot and there was a puddle so it was leaking from somewhere, just pretty sure not the plug.

http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fiche/images/YAMAHA/1989/Motorcycles/327_waterpump.gif

I was thinking you replaced the o'ring in the "DRAIN COCK"; been a long day so far. Anyway, bet ya it IS the drain cock leaking. Like I said, I'd remove the nose fairing (the same fairing covering the oil filter assy), run the bike until it is hot enough to do the leaking thing, park it and see if the drips aren't coming from the drain cock. There is a little o'ring in there that craps out over time and it may just be a coincidence in your situation, but that might be your problem. If it is, it is an easy fix.

OK, is that the thing you turn when you drain the coolant that lets it flow down to the drain plug?

And you are saying that should be at 2 o'clock when set to the run not drain position?

Thanks!

That's right; for normal operation it should be turned to the 2 o'clock position. And anytime that darn drain cock on one of my lst editions leaked, it was just after draining the coolant and having to turn it to the drain position; in other words, having to mess with it at all. I've had to replace the o'ring in just about every 1st edition I've owned. I just take the old one to Ace and match it up. I don't think they had an exact match so I bought the next largest size (which was hardly noticeable), installed that puppy and no more leaks. Cost me 30 cents I think.