IGNORED

Two others to consider in Nor Cal and SW Wash

Ventured

Northern California Coast...

Hwy 101 "Avenue of the Giants". Check out http://www.aveofthegiants.com/

This road is a spectaular look into an ancient redwood forest. The road winds ever so gracefully for about 30 miles with lots of little "burgs" along the way to stop and "refresh" yourself or sut to stretch and enjoy the beauty. It is really hard to describe the feeling you get riding through this forest other than to say you feel really... small. Was there late last summer...crowds were gone and the pavement was in great shape too.

SW Washington

Highway 25 and 99 from Swift Washington up to the Windy Ridge Observatory at Mt. St. Helens. http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/04maps/files/mshrec.jpg Again...what can I say...Mt. St. Helens is a must see but to avoid the crowds and get into some really good riding check out the east side of the park. I rode up there last fall and what a sight...a little chilly late in the season but wow!!! Again, the rode less travelled and the pavement was in great shape. Excellent access if you head south to the Columbia Gorge too...but that is totally different write-up.

Enjoy the ride wherever it takes you...just RIDE!!!

:080402gudl_prv:

G

If you are comeing up the Ore Coast on 101, be sure to ride across the Columbia River Bridge, at Astoria Ore. into Washington.

The Mouth of the Columbia River is Quite a Sight if you have never seen it.

If you are heading North on I-5 from Portland heading to Seattle, take an extra hour, and make a side trip on Wa. #4 from Longview out west along the Columbia River to Cathalemet, Wa. and then back to I-5 Its worth the drive. Watch for Very Large Ships right next to the Highway. ( yes, I did mean " Ships " )

Or take #4 all the way to the Coast, then 101 up to Aberdeen, and back to I-5.

• 1 year later...
If you are comeing up the Ore Coast on 101, be sure to ride across the Columbia River Bridge, at Astoria Ore. into Washington.

The Mouth of the Columbia River is Quite a Sight if you have never seen it.

If you are heading North on I-5 from Portland heading to Seattle, take an extra hour, and make a side trip on Wa. #4 from Longview out west along the Columbia River to Cathalemet, Wa. and then back to I-5 Its worth the drive. Watch for Very Large Ships right next to the Highway. ( yes, I did mean " Ships " )

Or take #4 all the way to the Coast, then 101 up to Aberdeen, and back to I-5.

The Astoria Megler bridge is one of my favourites, it is the longest continuous truss bridge in North America....

Below is a link to two of my favourite bridges on the west coast, I spliced the pans myself... enlarge them to see any detail on the Astoria Megler Bridge, it gains elevation on the south end to allow the freighters and cruise ships to go up the Columbia..

http://www3.telus.net/drbar/pics/bridges2.jpg

• 10 months later...

I rode through parts of CA-OR-WA last year while on my trip (10,116 miles). I left Phoenix ahead of a storm and still managed to cross Hoover Dam ahead of it and on through Las Vegas. I rode then to Barstow and then up the scenic Rt 395.

Stopped just before Bishop/CA at Brown's Town Campground where bikers can stay for $10 a night. That storm finally caught up with me and after trying to ride the 395 to Mammouth Lake, I was knocked over with the bike by wind when I stopped to pick up my magnetic map case that had been blown off of the tank (they clocked winds over 70 mph and later closed the road). After seeing a boat blown off a trailer, I returned to Bishop and camped for 3 more days until it calmed down.

While waiting, I rode out every day and once took a trip out to South and North Lakes just outside of Bishop. You climb from 3,000 feet to over 8,500 feet in about 5 miles but it is a scenic ride. There are also hot springs and great fishing in the area.

Finally packed up and travelled through Yosemite (this was now just after Labor Day and the falls were "turned" off). I then traveled to Klamath Falls/OR, Crater Lake, back up to Rt 20 (there was a fire on Rt 138 and it was closed). Rt 20 isn't as scenic since there had been a lot of logging along the sides of the road.

(Will go back and try Rt 138 with its many lakes and falls.)

At some point found myself on Rt 101 going up the coast and fought wind constantly in spite of the nice scenery. Across the bridge at Astoria and stayed at Rivers End in Washington where I paid biker's rates for the campground again.

Gave up on Rt 101 because of the wind and headed across country ot Spokane and then on into Idaho on the way to Glacier Park/MT.