IGNORED

Pilot LED Lightbar Install

One of the first things that I noticed, and others commented on also, after purchasing my '99 Royal Star Venture was the fact that there was simply not enough lighting on the rear. I did some investigating and found a number of LED light bars made specifically for motorcycles but the prices were crazy. Then as I was browsing through my local "Autozone" parts store one day, I happened upon a LED light bar with a price under $20.00. The LED bar contains 20 LEDs and is made by Pilot. The part number is WE6-197. It was the perfect length to mount under the truck of my new Venture so I bought it and went about figuring out the best way to mount it.

I made a trip to my local "Home Depot" and browsed through the hardware and fastener section until I came up with an item that they called "handlebar clips". Basically they are just spring steel clips available in various sizes. I bought a couple of them, drilled a 1/8" hole in the base of them, took the LED bar across and secured the clips to it with small screws through the holes I drilled in the clips and matching holes drilled in the housing of the LED.

I made the connections to the brake wiring behind the license plate. You must take care here that you connect the positive lead coming out of the LED bar to the positive (hot) lead of the brake light or running lights depending upon how you want to wire the LEDs.

This is perhaps the cheapest modification you can make to the rear of your Venture and is worth every penny due to the increase visibility that it will give the rear of your bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/pilotlight/831.jpg http://www.venturerider.org/pilotlight/light_bar1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

SOMA (stay off my a#*), well . . . at least that's what J & P called it. I kept hearing the same thing---that the bike didn't have enough light in the back. Sooo . . . I went to the J & P catalog and found what I needed, ordered it online, and received it within 2 days.

Installation was easy---no drilling or modification necessary!

So here it is . . . :cool10:

[ATTACH]1925[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1926[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1927[/ATTACH]

SOMA (stay off my a#*), well . . . at least that's what J & P called it. I kept hearing the same thing---that the bike didn't have enough light in the back. Sooo . . . I went to the J & P catalog and found what I needed, ordered it online, and received it within 2 days.

Installation was easy---no drilling or modification necessary!

So here it is . . . :cool10:

[ATTACH]1925[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1926[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1927[/ATTACH]

So how did you mount the light bar ? because I just bought it also and it says to drill holes.

I bought a pilot bar from Auto Zone and mounted it on a piece of stainless steel 1/8 x 3/4 inch...I removed the plugs from the back of the helmet locks and drilled 2 holes in the bar stock to match and tapped the holes w/ a 1/4" - 20 NST tap, then used SS screws to mount it. Quite secure. Will post a pic or 2 tomorrow.

I did a similar install on my Venture. I purchased a flexible 18 inch light bar with 20 LED's and glued it (self adhesive) to the trunk mount bar. It wraps around either side about 1.5 to 2 inches which allowed me to put tie wraps on the ends to keep them in place. The lenses and LED's are clear but illuminate red. I installed a pair of diodes in parallel with each other, one having a 330 ohm resistor inline with it and made the LED's work with my running and brake lights. Wired to harness under riders seat. Now I have the additional running lights and brake lights. Makes a big difference.

Chief:322:

Sleeprhawk, looks good,with that and the Yamaha wing you should be good to go. As for me and mine, with the pics, I had to have a couple hundred of our newest friends in the back ground before I could get her pic on this site. Ride to Remember 9/11 pics, she is wearing the red white and blue shirt.:rotf: :no-no-no:

• 2 months later...