IGNORED

Tall Guys with a backrest.....Help!

Mariner Fan

Ok, I put a Utopia backrest on the bike and I'm wondering where you taller riders have it adjusted. So far, I have it as far down as possible and as far back as I can get it.

I'm not sure if I like the thing to be honest. Might take it off the bike before I ride to Oberlin. Maybe a long trip is just the thing I need to decide weather to keep it or not. I've never rode a bike before with a backrest and it's a bit weird to me. :think:

Ok, I put a Utopia backrest on the bike and I'm wondering where you taller riders have it adjusted. So far, I have it as far down as possible and as far back as I can get it.

I'm not sure if I like the thing to be honest. Might take it off the bike before I ride to Oberlin. Maybe a long trip is just the thing I need to decide weather to keep it or not. I've never rode a bike before with a backrest and it's a bit weird to me. :think:

I'm tall and the back rest feels best the higher it sits. Sitting low isn't going to offer much support. I also like it slanted back as much as possible..... Gives me that recliner feeling.... :)

I had to do something to mine and I forgot what it was. It seemed to be pushing me forward. I think I would up changing the way the rest mounted to the arm. Once I did that it was fine.Seems like it wasn't more than a half inch but it made a big difference.

I'm 6 ft 7 and love the backrest. I had to take the mounting bracket and put it in a vice and bend it back about an inch. It does push back some into the front of the passenger seat. When I put it on stock it pushed me way to much up on the tank and bow its great.

I'm not a tall guy, maybe 70 inches. But I played with my backrest for probably two years. I did a lot of adjusting when I first got it because it didn't seem to be low enough. I have back problems in the L1 L2 area so that's where I like the support.

I shimmed the mounting points with washers to try and get the angle different and/or farther back. I actually went down to a friends shop and made a new bracket and I did use that for one summer but it still wasn't quite right.

I would have to go look at it but what I finally did was turn the bracket that attaches to the backrest upside down so I could move it farther down. Took some new bolts and shimming again but I like it now. Been riding it for a couple of summers and I now like the way it feels.

The bottom line is I'm using all the original parts but I am not using them in the configuration they were designed to be used. I could try and take some pictures if you like.

BOO

Takes some tweaking for sure. And a little getting used too. I had 2 more holes drilled in mine so I could lower it a little more. Had the frame mount bent back a bit, thus moving the rest back ( can't bend it much - but a little here makes a big difference) Now it's nearly perfect and I think I'm going to love it. Stay with it - keep tweaking - and you will find the sweet spot.:Venture:

Drill a hole or two in it and lower it. Mine wasn't fitting in the small of my back. I agree with the other posters that you can also bend it back in a vice. Wrap tape or a towel around it first so you won't scratch it, then, strike with a rubber mallet. Do this in small increments, Don't over bend. Hope this helps:fingers-crossed-emo

I had never ridden with one before my RSV either and it took some getting used to for sure. I still reach back and adjust it with the adjustment bolt all the time. I think anytime you get on the bike you sit just slightly in a different spot and it requires tweaking. I love mine and can't imagine taking it off. Really helps on those longer rides.