Sorry for the dumb question....

I just changed the oil and oil filter in my 89 for the first time yesterday. The manual said with an oil filter change there should be 4 qts, so I just dumped it in. On the center stand the sight glass is all the say full. Should I empty some out to get to half full on the glass?

Thanks!

I just changed the oil and oil filter in my 89 for the first time yesterday. The manual said with an oil filter change there should be 4 qts, so I just dumped it in. On the center stand the sight glass is all the say full. Should I empty some out to get to half full on the glass?

Thanks!

Some may have other ideas on this but if it was me, I would empty some out. If not, you will probably get exessive oil buildup in the air breather box. The oil level should be 1/2 - 2/3 in the sight glass. In reality tho, it probably won't hurt anything to leave it where it is.

Some may have other ideas on this but if it was me, I would empty some out. If not, you will probably get exessive oil buildup in the air breather box. The oil level should be 1/2 - 2/3 in the sight glass. In reality tho, it probably won't hurt anything to leave it where it is.

Is that with the engine warm or does it not make a difference?

Thanks!

I did the same thing, put in what the manual said and it was to the top of the sight glass. After a couple of good rides, it was back down to between the two lines. Mine doesn't leak and isn't burning oil, so I assume after it got pushed through the system oil settled everywhere it needed to be. I still wouldn't be concerned if the level didn't drop, we're really only talking about less than a quart.

Is that with the engine warm or does it not make a difference?

I rarely change the oil when the engine is at full operating temp; however, I do warm it up some. I usually put the new oil in and run the bike for a bit...maybe 2 or 3 minutes and then shut it off and let is sit for a while...then re-check the oil level. Thing is tho, if you put in 3.5 quarts, you should be fine regardless.