IGNORED

Cyclemate 2000 Trailer

Aimhigh

Going to look at an older trailer. Seller says it has been in the garage for the past ten years and is in very good shape. He is asking $500. Hope it's a good one and doesn't require much fixing. The website says a new one goes for at least $1500.

Guest tx2sturgis

Ten years? It will probably need new tires, and you should count on doing a bearing repack.

Hopefully otherwise it will be in fine shape.

Ten years? It will probably need new tires, and you should count on doing a bearing repack.

Hopefully otherwise it will be in fine shape.

Agree...do these trailers have to be registered and licensed? I'm thinking the tires should be readily available at HF (among other places) (?)

Agree...do these trailers have to be registered and licensed? I'm thinking the tires should be readily available at HF (among other places) (?)

Has to be licensed.

Titled depends on your state.

For tires, its usually cheaper to buy trailer tires already mounted on new rims. The chain Tractor Supply inc seems to have the best trailer tire prices where I'm at.

Guest tx2sturgis

Technically here in Texas, you DO need a registration and license plate as well as a trailer inspection, on any trailer that can haul cargo. Some exemptions are made for farm and construction trailers.

Having said that, in practice, you can either:

A: Get a bill of sale (and/or title) for the trailer and show that to your county's tax office, to pay the tax and then get your plate, or,

B: Tell the tax office its a kit or homemade trailer and give an approximate value, and then pay taxes on that value, to get the plate. ( last resort if there is no paperwork, and no ID number on the trailer)

Some people do pull these around without a plate, but you risk being stopped and fined, if a cop following you wants a reason. It's only about $30 to $50 to buy the renewal sticker every year, depending on your county, and its cheap to keep it legal and in case of theft, may help in recovery.

As far as inspections...well....I've been pulling personal trailers for many decades and never get them inspected, I just make sure to verify the lights are all working correctly... and even during the occasional stop, have never had an officer notice or care.

Thanks for all the advice...I saw the trailer...it is in pretty good shape...will be picking it up tomorrow...repack the bearings, one small area of fiberglass repair and it should be ready to go (once I get a trailer hitch for the bike). I will most likely have it painted to match the bike (blue/black):dancefool::thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis
Texas has no inspections on non-commercial trailers.

I stand corrected, IF the trailer is under 4500 pounds GVW capacity, then no inspection needed. Over 4500 lbs, then yes, inspection needed, even if its non-commercial, meaning 5th wheels and larger travel trailers technically need the sticker.

Since the Cycle-Mate is WAY below that weight...you're good on the inspection sticker thing!

I had a 2000 Cyclemate and it was a great trailer. I had the larger model which sold for $1250 new. Unless you really loaded it down you hardly knew it was back there. Pulled it coast to coast with no problems.

I had a 2000 Cyclemate and it was a great trailer. I had the larger model which sold for $1250 new. Unless you really loaded it down you hardly knew it was back there. Pulled it coast to coast with no problems.

Good to hear as I have never pulled a trailer with a bike.

I know each state does things differently, but in California if a trailer...or for that matter any licensed vehicle.... has sat around for over 7 years without any DMV activity, it's written off the rolls. A bill of sale is all you need to get it registered again. Back taxes and penalties are no longer an issue.

Guest tx2sturgis
Good to hear as I have never pulled a trailer with a bike.

You will need to get used to how it handles before you take a passenger or go on any trips. Stopping and turning are a bit different, and require some patience, and you will naturally have to be more deliberate in slow speed maneuvers such as in parking lots, and gas stations. You will be using a lot of 'pull thru' parking when its available. The trailer, especially when its fully loaded, will increase the tendency of the bike to resist high speed turning, so you will have to lean a bit further into the turns, and 'convince' the trailer you are turning.

Also, your gas mileage will decrease, depending on conditions, by as much as 25%, although a 10% drop is in the normal range. Stopping distances are of course, increased, and engine compression braking becomes the order of the day, to save those brake pads. Also, when pulling a trailer, everything is working harder on the bike, such as the brakes, the engine, and the suspension, but also, all the fluids: engine oil, coolant, and especially, the final drive oil. If you change these more often when pulling a trailer, the bike will thank you.

I could go on, but there is a wealth of information here:

http://www.motorcycletrailerstore.com/trailer-guide/

This used to be the old Tailpullers website, but it moved.

Post pics of it when you can!