Tried to go for a ride today--No luck---battery was dead---I jumped it and rode for 30 minutes then turned her off--nothing on the restart attempt but a slow Grrrrr then tick- tick:doh:---I have only had the bike for about 2 weeks but the previous owner gave me paperwork showing that he had replaced Battery-starter-stator all in November of last year.........I jumped it off again and while it was running I removed the ground cable--she kept on running--also the voltage meter shows it is charging just fine......think I just got a Bad "new" battery?---............................Larry

Tried to go for a ride today--No luck---battery was dead---I jumped it and rode for 30 minutes then turned her off--nothing on the restart attempt but a slow Grrrrr then tick- tick:doh:---I have only had the bike for about 2 weeks but the previous owner gave me paperwork showing that he had replaced Battery-starter-stator all in November of last year.........I jumped it off again and while it was running I removed the ground cable--she kept on running--also the voltage meter shows it is charging just fine......think I just got a Bad "new" battery?---............................Larry

Very possible. When I had the Voyager I ordered a maintenance free battery on line (china). Started having trouble two months later. Went to Walmart got the one you have to add the acid to and never had another problem. :think:

Many other things to check that could due this besides the battery.

To check the battery take it to Auto Zone, Advance, O'riely's, etc.and they can do a load test on it.

Remove and clean the terminals at the battery, starter solenoid & starter connection. Use a piece of emery cloth or 320 (approx.) grit sandpaper.

Replace and tighten bolts. The solenoid & starter bolts are low torque. I couldn't find spec in manual, but it is 5-6 ft/lbs (60-72 in/lbs).

Also check the main ground line on the right side, near the front of the engine block. Clean this and connection point to block.

Another possibility is starter needs removed and cleaned. The brushes may need replaced or the commutator may need cleaned. If you pull the starter off, clean the mounting pads where the two 10mm bolts go through to mount it to the engine. This is the grounding path.

Check the stator to wiring harness connection on left side near the air ride adj. knob. by passenger foot peg. It is a 3 pin connector with 3 white wires. These have been known to overheat and then not recharge battery.

Gary

Edited by dingy
starter ground added

Couple years ago my xj750 worn thru batteries. no volt gauge, but cms showed no problems. Every time I checked with dmm, showed 13-14 v charge. Finally permemently installed amp gauge, which showed discharge.

After replacing regulator to no effect, tracked problem down to 1 shorted winding in generator armature. Test called for .4ohms, and 1 read .1 ohms and thought ok at the time.

Many posts here of better way to check armature, and replace with better ones if needed

:2cents: