IGNORED

Speaker size

I am really enjoying my recently acquired 83 Venture Royale. I believe the radio speakers and in desparate need of replacement. Can someone tell me what size replacement speakers I need to get?

I don't want to take the fairing apart to see because I want to ride the bike up until I'm ready to do the speaker swap. Thanks!

I believe that they are 4" round speakers, least that is what I used in my 89 VR fairing.

I was able to use some Panasonic speakers for mine that I purchased at Best Buy a few years ago.

Rick F.

4" speakers.

Wal Mart has a decent set for under $30.

Cones are waterproof. Speakers are 3 way's.

Gary

What set is that as it is the wright price range for me and Im in the market for a new set? Name and parts number if you can please.

David

What set is that as it is the wright price range for me and Im in the market for a new set? Name and parts number if you can please.

David

I still have the box they came in, have my old ones in there.

Any better than this and I would have to get them for you myself !!

:sign isnt that spec

RS400 is model #.

Gary

Walmart didn't have any 4" speakers in stock. Went across the street to Best Buy and picked up a set of Kenwoods 120watt speakers for $40 after tax. I'll instll this weekend time permitting.

• 2 years later...

This is an old post, but it just came in handy.

I've been keeping an eye out for a replacement set for my '89 VR. Happened upon a set last week and wanted to make sure I had the right size, so I did a quick forum search, found this post and it turns out what I found was the exact same model Gary had posted the pictures of!

In case anyone else is looking, I bought these for $15.88 at XSCargo in Canada. They are a liquididator type of store, so stock varies, but if they had a load of these in, you might have a chance of getting some.

It's a pretty good sound, and the fit was perfect for the bike. I'd say it took me less than an hour and half to do both speakers.

Thanks to all who posted in this thread. :cool10:

• 5 weeks later...

I order most of my stereo equipment from www.SonicElectronix.com, or Amazon. I'm not sure what exactly to look for in speakers to use outdoors, other than maybe marine speakers. If any speakers, other than paper coned ones will be fine, these are a cool option with the skull tweeter surround and light-up eyes. I'd like to do some modifications and make this thing look cool. I've thought about taking a spare m/c battery and wiring up the front speakers and adding a small sub to a 3-channel amp, then just running an iPod to the input. Use a cutoff switch to the secondary battery so I don't drain the primary when running the secondary. Otherwise get a Kinetic battery or some upgraded battery to run that could hold more power. Any input on that?

Link to skull speakers:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_36720_Boss-SK422.html

Cheap, ugly, probably junk, marine speakers:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45389_Pyramid-MDC5.html

Nice Bazooka marine speakers for $70 shipped:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23735_Bazooka-MCC4002.html

Edited by Lunchbox

Well, I need to replace my 89VR speakers too. Still working on some other items since getting this one last month. I have not replaced speakers before in my past ones. So just how hard was the taking apart and putting together? I need to do this anyway because I have some other things for wiring I want to do. Might as well do it once. Also, the Bazookas look nice but sure seem deep. Will they fit? Would like to add a more powerfull amp too. Looking for ideas/direction on that one. Thanks.

Gary

An amp with a line-level input would be best if you're wanting to keep the factory stereo. That way you just cut the lines to the speakers, run those to the input, and wire out to the speakers. Then run power, and a remote turn-on.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I need to replace my 89VR speakers too. Still working on some other items since getting this one last month. I have not replaced speakers before in my past ones. So just how hard was the taking apart and putting together? I need to do this anyway because I have some other things for wiring I want to do. Might as well do it once. Also, the Bazookas look nice but sure seem deep. Will they fit? Would like to add a more powerfull amp too. Looking for ideas/direction on that one. Thanks.

Gary

The4 inch Bazookas are a bit deep but do fit. Just. I had to rotate them to get the prongs to point a different direction on the left side speaker. (from the seat.)

• 2 years later...

I just ordered a pair for $21 with shipping. At that price its worth taking a chance. In my small town of Williamsport Pa you won't find any 4" speakers on any ones shelf.

i just put these in.....really crisp( Zepplin and Floyd), not much for bass, but thats expected out of a 4 inch speaker. 30.00 bucks ebay.

• 4 years later...

Came across this thread as go task to to task on the Lady Bird. The stereo was stripped out of this Bike and piece of vinyl placed in the bottom of the compartment. also needing a set of speakers, one is missing as is the associated grill.

Any suggestions Guys ??

Taking Her down the road this morning. Its 5:15 am, gonna wash down a couple cookies with some horshoe stand coffee and geter clocking southbound!.

Yeah Im wearing my Brain blanket.....

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 8:12 AM, saddlebum said:

You need to remove/lift off the complete console then flip it over. you will then see the four nuts you need to remove to lift out the speaker  and grill together then simply separate the grill and speaker

Thanks very much

• 1 month later...