Replacing the coolant, filled to the top of radiator, ran it, let it cool, filled to top again, ran it, still needs more.

How do you know when you do not need anymore?

When the coolant gets hot, I assume it bubbles to the overflow tank under the seat, but how does the coolant in the overflow tank get back to the radiator? :confused24:

there is only 1 tube to the overflow tank.

The radiator cap actually increases the boiling point of your coolant by about 45 F (25 C). How does this simple cap do this? The same way a pressure cooker increases the boiling temperature of water. The cap is actually a pressure release valve, and on cars it is usually set to 15 psi. The boiling point of water increases when the water is placed under pressure.

When the fluid in the cooling system heats up, it expands, causing the pressure to build up. The cap is the only place where this pressure can escape, so the setting of the spring on the cap determines the maximum pressure in the cooling system. When the pressure reaches 15 psi, the pressure pushes the valve open, allowing coolant to escape from the cooling system. This coolant flows through the overflow tube into the bottom of the overflow tank. This arrangement keeps air out of the system. When the radiator cools back down, a vacuum is created in the cooling system that pulls open another spring loaded valve, sucking water back in from the bottom of the overflow tank to replace the water that was expelled

Hey George, pick up a bottle of Redline Water Wetter and add a bit to your coolant. Its supposed to keep it a little cooler and lube the moving parts. Been using it for years. These engines get hot enough all on their own.....anything to help cool them down is worth it.

The radiator cap actually increases the boiling point of your coolant by about 45 F (25 C). How does this simple cap do this? The same way a pressure cooker increases the boiling temperature of water. The cap is actually a pressure release valve, and on cars it is usually set to 15 psi. The boiling point of water increases when the water is placed under pressure.

When the fluid in the cooling system heats up, it expands, causing the pressure to build up. The cap is the only place where this pressure can escape, so the setting of the spring on the cap determines the maximum pressure in the cooling system. When the pressure reaches 15 psi, the pressure pushes the valve open, allowing coolant to escape from the cooling system. This coolant flows through the overflow tube into the bottom of the overflow tank. This arrangement keeps air out of the system. When the radiator cools back down, a vacuum is created in the cooling system that pulls open another spring loaded valve, sucking water back in from the bottom of the overflow tank to replace the water that was expelled

That's why there are two lines on the overflow catch bottle. One for when the engine is hot and one for when it's cold.:cool10:

That's why there are two lines on the overflow catch bottle. One for when the engine is hot and one for when it's cold.:cool10:

But there is only one hose that goes back to the radiator, the other is to bleed off any coolant from the overflow if it fills up. Item 35 (part 90445-09117-00 hose) is the bleed off and does not go back to the radiator.

When the coolant cools off, it is sucked back into the radiator via the same hose used to connect the overflow tank and radiator.

So what did you use to refill it George?

Just asking since I presume my 10 yr old new ride needs changing.

I remember reading the detailed post by Goose about removing all the plugs to get every last drop of old fluid. Being lazy, I was thinking, drain it, then fill with distilled water, run it a bit, then drain again. That should get all the old fluid out of the hidden recesses.

I run a dehumidifier in my basement that gives me a gallon of distilled water every day during the summer.

So what did you use to refill it George?

Just asking since I presume my 10 yr old new ride needs changing.

I remember reading the detailed post by Goose about removing all the plugs to get every last drop of old fluid. Being lazy, I was thinking, drain it, then fill with distilled water, run it a bit, then drain again. That should get all the old fluid out of the hidden recesses.

I run a dehumidifier in my basement that gives me a gallon of distilled water every day during the summer.

Just the normal 50/50 Prestone Green stuff.

But there is only one hose that goes back to the radiator, the other is to bleed off any coolant from the overflow if it fills up. Item 35 (part 90445-09117-00 hose) is the bleed off and does not go back to the radiator.

When the coolant cools off, it is sucked back into the radiator via the same hose used to connect the overflow tank and radiator.

That one tube should have a "straw" attached to the under side of the cap. It reaches to the bottom of the catch bottle. Since it is below the coolant level in the bottle it allows the coolant to flow back to the radiator. :cool10:

That one tube should have a "straw" attached to the under side of the cap. It reaches to the bottom of the catch bottle. Since it is below the coolant level in the bottle it allows the coolant to flow back to the radiator. :cool10:

It does and it is kind of neat to watch the coolant heat and flow to the overflow, then flow back when it is cooling off.