IGNORED

fork seal leaking again !

How long should fork seals last?

I thought I had them licked on my blue bike from back early in the '08 season, or perhaps it was '07. On the way home from work this evening though, I noticed that my port side fork is leaking again big time. :mad:

I also changed the bushings when I last did the seals and I only used genuine Yama parts. They have both been clean as a whistle ever since, up to today.

Would gators help, or do they just mask the problems?

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
fussing over grammar again

Guest Swifty

assume you have checked the forks....any bur from a stone chip can wear out the seals quickly. I've had to replace a fork that was causing a leaky seal....almost imperceptible bur...had no problem since.

Well according to my records it was '06 when I did the forks last, so perhaps I am due after all.

I have looked at the forks and felt them but don't find any burrs.

When I raise the dust cap out of the way and mop up all the oil in the seal cavity, I find that there appears to be some sandy / rusty crud in the bottom of the seal cavity between the oil seal and the dust seal. This is a bit mysterious and has me puzzled.

The forks themselves look and feel fine.

I did hit one mother of a pot hole / road wrinkle the other day. Wondering if that had anything to do with my sudden massive leak.

Brian H.

Guest seuadr

I did hit one mother of a pot hole / road wrinkle the other day. Wondering if that had anything to do with my sudden massive leak.

Brian H.

I wonder if that is what happened to me.. they were not leaking at all, the other day i had to take a rough bump (no where to go to avoid it) so i slowed down what i could, but the next morning i noticed that my fork seals are dripping.

I do wished motorcycles had a different concept on front forks/shocks. I guess I am gonna take mine to the dealer, whoops not dealer but the local cycle mechanic, because I dont have time to get it wrong and I dont have time to redo it if it is wrong. I really wished I could afford another pair of forks so I could just keep them ready when needed.

The local mechanic used to be a venture guy.