IGNORED

Tail of the Dragon?????

Iowawegian

Saw this today on the Tail of the Dragon website. Does anyone know for sure that it is open? Last I knew it was going to be July before they got it cleared.

Also, the hubby,sons and I are heading down there in June. Has anyone ridden "Devils Triangle" or the Cheohala Skyway and are they really nice roads with a lot of twistes?

Thanks

Deb

ROCK SLIDE UPDATE April 16, 2010: The rock slide on US 129 is located between the Dragon and Happy Valley Road/Foothills Parkway. TDOT has announced in a press release that the 11 mile section known as the Tail of the Dragon will be open from 8 am to 8 pm beginning Monday April 12, 2010. The only access is from North Carolina US 129. THP announced that there will be zero tolerance for traffic violations, so I'd travel the Tail with extreme caution. Please obey the traffic laws and report any undue harassment to us. We will forward all complaints to the Tennessee and North Carolina senators and representatives who worked so hard to get the road open. We will continue to post the latest information here so keep in touch.

All is going well at the Tail of the Dragon. Traffic is low, so it's a great time to enjoy the road without fear of semi trucks and large crowds.

As the press release states, the Dragon is open at the South end. You then turn around and ride back into NC. I would do that and then ride into Robbinsville and ride the Cherohala which is actually the better ride IMO.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Check with the locals for Blood Mountain

:farmer:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Check with the locals for Blood Mountain

:farmer:

I'm not sure how I got there, but I did Blood Mountain a few years ago, very nice, bought a souvenir T shirt from there, long sleeve, I was cold!!!

The Devils Triangle is residential. Hwy 62 is being 4 laned and so it is rough in places with construction equipment running all along there. 116 is the long leg of the route. It's also residential but has hills and curves. The old Brushy Moutain State pen is on the left coming from hwy 62. Not as sharp of curves as the Dragon but scenic in places. There is a coal mine on the North East end so watch out for the BIG coal trucks. Hwy 25 from Lake City to Clinton is a slow leisure ride with plenty of traffic. Not a bad ride if you can tolerate these things.