IGNORED

Carb needle shims

I want to shim the carb neeldes on my 2006 venture. Question is, when you add a shim to the needle, does it go under the c-clip on top of the teflon ring or do you slide it up the needle under the teflon piece?

Thanks,:confused07:

WOW...it's been a LONG time since I've done this. If I remember correctly, you will remove the c-clip. I think there are two washers under it. Then remove one of them and slide it up the other end.

How about it folks? Don't let me tell him wrong. Am I remembering this correctly?

WOW...it's been a LONG time since I've done this. If I remember correctly, you will remove the c-clip. I think there are two washers under it. Then remove one of them and slide it up the other end.

How about it folks? Don't let me tell him wrong. Am I remembering this correctly?

You mean there was something additional I should have done when I had the carbs out?

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

RR

Well first of all, it's not a big deal. You don't have to pull the carbs to shim these needles. Just pull the side covers off and you can get to them. Secondly, I really don't think that shimming the needles is such a big deal. It is supposed to give a bit quicker throttle response and I think it does but nothing major.

Well first of all, it's not a big deal. You don't have to pull the carbs to shim these needles. Just pull the side covers off and you can get to them. Secondly, I really don't think that shimming the needles is such a big deal. It is supposed to give a bit quicker throttle response and I think it does but nothing major.

OK. I shimmed the needle in my KLR650 over the winter (called the 22 cent Mod - the cost of an M4 brass washer). I does help the thumper run better. I had not heard about doing it on the Venture.

However, with setting the float levels and getting all the boots properly seated, the bike is running better than when I drove it off the lot 8 years and 70,000 miles ago. I don't think I am going to mess with it anymore.

Thanks for the update.

RR

• 1 year later...
I want to shim the carb neeldes on my 2006 venture. Question is, when you add a shim to the needle, does it go under the c-clip on top of the teflon ring or do you slide it up the needle under the teflon piece?

Thanks,:confused07:

Ok, I just did my 05 RSTD. When I pulled my needle it was set up from top to bottom:

Washer (shim)

C-clip

Teflon thing

then a washer under it.

I took the Washer that was on top of the c-clip and put it under the c-clip. On top of the teflon thing.

This Shimmed the neddle with one washer.

My bike is stock except the rear baffles have several holes drilled.

It does make a difference with throttle response. Almost got a ticket testing it out :bobby: Thanks Mr. Police man.

• 8 years later...

So I came upon this old thread looking for advice or needle settings.

For the sake of posterity (like me) I would like to add that what the shims are for is to enable a needle height that is 1/2 of the way between two slots in the needle, thus giving an ability to more fine tune the needle settings. If the shim/washer is above the c-clip it's merely being stored there. If you use it below the c-clip you have raised the needle 1/2 of a step.