IGNORED

Growl from rear end

After our WNY meet and eat last weekend , my wife commented to me as we were almost home that she thought she heard a noise from the rear wheel. So I quieted the stereo about 90 decibels and listened. Yup , definately a growl between 40-55 mph accel or decel. Not horrible but certainly noticeable. Feel nothing in the seat no roughness. Could be the tire howling a bit or internal. This is my 2nd RSV and its new with about 600 miles on it. I am positive my last one did not make this noise, although maybe I didn't hear it over the whine.......Any thoughts? (Fluids full , tire pressure is spot on, rear hub was not hot to the touch)

Brad (nice name)

You have hit upon the 2 questions I would quickly ask, full of lube and tire pressure. My next question is what kind of tires are on the bike? Some are just known for being loud. There were some issues with early G2's where the rearends had issues, I haven't heard anything with the later models. If it was me I would take the rearend out and make sure the splines are greased properly (I have seen some make it out of the factory with no grease) and insure the fingers in the hub are properly greased.

I know it's a new bike, but this is why were here, I have seen "New" bikes need lots of work....I know others will chime in also.

Yep, what Squid said!

First check rear end lube, make sure it's full.

Check tire pressure.

Pull rear wheel, grease the splines with Honda Moly 60. Grease the hub pins or "fingers".

After you reassemble, if the howl is still there, at least you will know that everything is up to snuff. And like Brad said, it could end up just being the brand of tire.

Brad (nice name)

You have hit upon the 2 questions I would quickly ask, full of lube and tire pressure. My next question is what kind of tires are on the bike? Some are just known for being loud. There were some issues with early G2's where the rearends had issues, I haven't heard anything with the later models. If it was me I would take the rearend out and make sure the splines are greased properly (I have seen some make it out of the factory with no grease) and insure the fingers in the hub are properly greased.

I know it's a new bike, but this is why were here, I have seen "New" bikes need lots of work....I know others will chime in also.

I had the same growl from the rear end of my 06....until Squidley ripped it apart,cleaned all the rust out,and lubed everything up!!

Boomer....who now has a rear end as smooth as cheesecake....bike rear end that is for those with perverse minds.

Guest scarylarry

I have the same issues and I found it is the bridgestones on my 09 as well...

I got to change the tire in the next few weeks and I will be putting on a E'3..

Guest scarylarry

Bet ya a burger they are Brickstones, you they are soooo quiet and smooth.......

I have not seen a new one without them on it....

Brad (nice name)