IGNORED

Fuel leak on 1996 Royal Star Tour Classic

Hi all. This is my first post. I wish I had found this forum earlier. I own a 1996 RSTC that my wife and I unfortunately don't get to ride as often as we would like. I always use fuel stabilizer when we store it, but this spring when I started it, fuel was dripping from the carb area.

As I said, I wish I had found this forum sooner. I assumed it was gummed up needle and seat, and although I've rebuild a few auto carbs, I've never played with these.

After calling the dealer and getting a quite expensive quote, I decided I'd tackle this myself. I removed the carb assembly and I'm going to disassemble them asap.

I noticed it is the first carb in line from the inlet of the fuel line that is leaking. I'm a little leery about all this and don't know if I should go all out or just remove and clean the bowl on the one I have now leaking.

Also, I'm wondering about a sentence in the Yamaha service manual I purchased with the bike that says don't use any caustic carb cleaners, just use a petroleum based cleaner . I was going to soak the bodies in Delco carb cleaner over night, wash them off in hot water and soap and blow them dry. Now I'm lost as to what to do.

I also will try to change the fuel filter, but it looks buried in the frame pretty good. I haven't really looked closely at that situation yet.

Any advice would be appreciated. Wish I had known about simply tapping on the bowl or using sea foam (whatever that is, I'll look into that also). Thanks.