IGNORED

Issue With Second Gen. Clutch Spring Upgrade!

skydoc_17

To EVERYONE that Just Received A Second Gen. Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit!

It has been brought to my attention that the Clutch Diaphragm Spring in the Second Gen. Clutch Spring Upgrade Kit is thinner and produces less clutch gripping pressure that the stock spring. Because this Diaphragm comes in a sealed package, I did not think to open one up until I was notified. IT IS IN FACT THINNER THAT THE STOCK SPRING, and is not the spring that has been shipped in earlier batches of the kit. I received 29 of these springs and suspect that the last batch has been packaged incorrectly. If you have not installed the upgrade kit yet, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL THIS KIT UNLESS YOU CAN MEASURE THE THICKNESS WHICH SHOULD BE .070". If the spring is measuring .055 to .060" thick DO NOT INSTALL THIS KIT. Because it is the weekend, I can't get in touch with the vendor who supplied this part but you better believe that come Monday morning I will be bending his ear about this issue. For any one that has done the install already, I will furnish a replacement spring and new clutch cover gasket with shipping at my cost for your trouble. In the future I will open and measure EVERY spring that I receive before it is shipped. I apologize for this problem and will do all I can to take care of it as soon as possible. Another short term "fix" is to Double your old and the new Clutch Diaphragm Spring until I can get more springs that are the correct thickness. I have REMOVED the Ads from the classifieds until this issue is resolved and like I said earlier in this post I will measure every spring before I ship it from now on.

Again, I apologize,

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17

Earl I installed mine today when I loged on I saw Owen was having the same problem. Thanks for the help I thought I did it correct. I will be needing a new spring sorry for the trouble I hope your supplier will take care of this for you . JMC

I was just going to ask (and changed my mind)... if piggybacking the thin one might not be even stronger than one new full thickness one?

I double mine up. Grips really good, but, the lever is harder to pull than my old hands can put up with for very long. :doh:

Hey Big Boy,

"In the old days" before the EBC clutch spring was developed, That was the fix, take a new stock spring and place it on top of the old Clutch Diaphragm Spring and you never bothered with that clutch again.

The first two batches of the EBC springs I received were the thicker springs, and I know this for a fact because I installed several here at my shop and measured all of them before the install. (old machinist habit)

This part of this post is directed at JMC, I have had pretty good luck on my own bike reusing the clutch cover gasket. I think Owen will attest to this fact after removing the clutch cover 5 times! But I will say it again, When I ship you new, proper thickness clutch spring, I will ship a new gasket with it, at my cost.

So to recap, Double up the two springs so your bike isn't down, contact me, and I will furnish you a new spring and gasket, after the install of the new spring just send me the old spring back so I can get a credit for it.:confused24:

Earl

Hi Earl

I received my kit the other day and haven't had a chance to install it yet.I will mail it back to you this week. Thats all I'll need is the heavy spring.

Have a great Easter

S... Happens not your fault

Steve

Mine measured at 0.060" - guess that means I should hold off on the install (mine's not slipping badly enough to change it out with the wrong parts and there's no point wasting a gasket).

Earl, I sent you an email.

Just posted to bump this up in case it was missed by someone who got the wrong spring.

Ross

Edited by RossKean

Back on the road doubled up springs before church this morning works great . I tore gasket in one place but not leaking. Thanks again a great site because of people like Earl. Hope everyone has a great Easter sunshine and 55 degrees high of 78 today in Western KY. Hope to ride after church. JMC

I did the upgrade and noticed the spring looked exactly like to old one but went ahead. The clutch was still slipping when I roll on power at speed. It's not bad enough to deadline the bike but I was going to tear it apart and start replacing apparently good friction plates. Thanks for letting us know, saved me from taking it apart again and wasting time and money.

I sent my address in PM.

Howard.