IGNORED

clutch mystery solved by Squidley on Tx maint day

massey130

Man, what a burden Squidley took off my shoulders. for the TX maint day, my bike was 2nd to be started on and 2nd to last to ride off. everything was seemingly checked. the clutch fluid was thought to the culprit. after the scooter was back together, a test ride showed the same problem. Squid took a ride and came back with a very good notion of the problem.

Eck had a similar problem and mine was nearly the same. the shifter knuckle was seizing and not allowing the shifter to follow the foot. you could fiddle with it but while driving this is not a good thing. the seizing was caused by heavy grease mixed with dirt from my gravel road and the bike sitting up while waiting for the rear tire change.

daily driving previous to sitting up kept the knuckle just loose enough not to be a problem. Squidley looked me square in the eye and said "you will add this to your annual maintenance list!"

this was my first maintenance day and boy was it a good time. I have to thank James for giving me a place to camp for the night, Kreg and Janet for hosting this gig and Squidley for keeping me on the road.

I thank everyone who gave advice on what my problem could have been and I look forward to being able to help out others at maint days as well as work on my own.

It was a good group meet and fun to put faces to names.

until next time - ride safe to all.

Dale,

I'm glad that we got your issues figured out, Eck is the one to thank as he wrote up a thread on it and that jarred my memory (thank god some of it's still there) Just for further clarification for the members. Dales issues was down under the left floorboard, the shifter is connected through 2 linkages and 2 pivot arms. One arm is in the rear of the system by the middle gear cover and the other is right under the floorboard. there is an arm assembly that pivots and takes the vertical linkage movement of the heel toe shifter, and switches it to horizontal leading back to the pivot arm @ the middle gear cover. The one under the floorboard was gummed up and we diasassembled the entire piece and cleaned it out....works everytime :)

Kinda wish we would have took pics, but it was getting late in the day and I was wanting to make sure this was our culprit. It was great having you with us Dale, looking forward to the next time :happy34:

Sounds like a squirt of WD40 on the linkage once in a while might be a good idea?

Dale,

I'm glad that we got your issues figured out, Eck is the one to thank as he wrote up a thread on it and that jarred my memory (thank god some of it's still there) Just for further clarification for the members. Dales issues was down under the left floorboard, the shifter is connected through 2 linkages and 2 pivot arms. One arm is in the rear of the system by the middle gear cover and the other is right under the floorboard. there is an arm assembly that pivots and takes the vertical linkage movement of the heel toe shifter, and switches it to horizontal leading back to the pivot arm @ the middle gear cover. The one under the floorboard was gummed up and we diasassembled the entire piece and cleaned it out....works everytime :)

Kinda wish we would have took pics, but it was getting late in the day and I was wanting to make sure this was our culprit. It was great having you with us Dale, looking forward to the next time :happy34: