IGNORED

Wiring my RSV for a Trailer

Obber

I know this has been covered many times before. I have a 2000 RSV that I want to wire for my trailer. I have a modulite that I tried to hook up per Freebirds article, but never got it to work. Got it off Ebay a good while back. Might be one of the bad one's that I hear about. The trailer is 100% LED. Do I have to run a modulite? Or, can I wire into the wiring behind the license plate. The trailer is a flat 4 wire LED kit I got from Harbor Freight. If I can tie directly into the wiring behind the license, will I be able to wire in a round 5 wire coming from the bike, and use a round adapter(pictured in attachment) that changes to a flat 4 wire to connect to the trailer? I already have the adapter and have hooked it to my pickup and the trailer works perfect. Brake lights, turn lights, etc. It is a six wire adapter to a 4 wire, looks like it will work on a 5 wire round hookup also.

:think:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Charles

As Larry the Cable Guy says "Get 'er Done" Well I Got 'er Done. Found a Hopkins Trailer Converter at Wal-Mart that converts 5 wire to 4 wire. Wired it to the wires behind the license plate. Everything works!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:Even the 4 way flashers!

Now to take it on a short run down the highway.:fingers-crossed-emo

This is the number to the converter;

Hopkins #48915

As Larry the Cable Guy says "Get 'er Done" Well I Got 'er Done. Found a Hopkins Trailer Converter at Wal-Mart that converts 5 wire to 4 wire. Wired it to the wires behind the license plate. Everything works!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:Even the 4 way flashers!

Hopkins #48915

That is one of the ones I have used in the past and had no problems with it

:thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis

A modulite ( or most any other diode type solid-state) 4 to 5 wire converter will not work with a 100% LED trailer, unless you buy the load equalizers and wire them into the trailer lighting.

SO, You have a couple other options.

You can convert the trailer wiring to 5 wire, by adding one or 2 extra LED brake lights to the rear of the trailer. This is a good option. With this option you wont use the modulite at all, and you will retain the nice LED lighting, and wont add much load to the bike wiring harness. In my opinion, if you have somewhere to hang an extra LED brakelight or 2, this is the best option.

Or, you can convert the trailer lighting to incandescent. you can keep the LEDS, but wire in incandescent bulbs and fixtures across the LED bulbs. Now the modulite will 'see' the load and work properly.

Or, if your handy with a soldering iron and simple schematics, you can build a converter with relays...this is not difficult, but it is frustrating if your not familiar with wiring and soldering. With this option, you wont be using the modulite, you will be building your OWN converter.

added later: I see that you got it working...well i'll keep this message up for someone else that may have the same issue.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Hopkins #48915

That looks like the same one I have on my trailer. Mounted it under the trailer so I just have the plug to deal with, and I have all LED lights on the trailer. Works great too. :thumbsup2:

Bryan