IGNORED

Audio Tip - Excellent Audio

rumboogy

I am always asking questions and getting great advice and tips from everyone on here...thought I would give back (if only a little).

I recently spoke (in another thread) about my first longer ride and the use of the headset vs speakers vs earbuds, and how I rated each of them.

Just to summarize...I rated these three options on a scale of 10.

Speakers .... 4

Headset...... 2

Earbuds....... 8 (maybe even a 9 on a better set of buds)

Anyway, in order to utilize the headset with earbuds you need the motorcycle adapter to convert the headset to a mini-plug. The first one I bought I paid over $50.00 for it at a 3rd party location on the net...however I found the actual vendor online and now this adapter can be had for only $24.95.

Here is the company URL:

http://plugup.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=19

Like I said, using the earbuds is a HUGE improvement sound wise, as well as eliminating the wind and motor noise (got rid of my WHINE :p ).

I know there might be some safety issues with earbuds, that's something you'll have to work out on your own...but for MUCH BETTER SOUND...this is the ONLY way to go.

Wally

My order since going to the Edsets would be a bit different. With past headsets, I would agree with you. After the Edsets though, I place the headsets ahead of the bikes speakers by a long shot.

I've not tried the earbuds but may one of these days. The Edsets module has a earbud jack built in so you can just plug them in and use them instead of the headset speakers if you choose to. I've been happy enough with the Edset speakers though that I just haven't tried it. I have no doubt that they would sound better though.

I too switched to using earbuds for longer rides. Find intercom is much clearer at lower volume, wind noise from microphone is virtually eliminated with no more what? and whine from the back seat :banana: also stereo/cb clarity is vastly improved.

Purchased my adapters through www.Edsets.com

We're using Fuze custom formed earbuds obtained from www.Fuze.com

comes as wired earbuds with silicone paste that gets mixed and fitted around the buds then fitted and smoothed into your ear for a custom very comfortable fit under the helmet. Both companies ship really fast and are a pleasure to deal with.

Using this system eliminates need for earplugs as the buds eliminate wind noise while riding.

• 2 months later...

i just took a trip from houston to abilene and went to bike week with my wife. at 80 mph the intercom is useless as is the stereo. and yes i know how to ajust av and ect. my question is? without changing the electronics, exactly what parts do I need to use earbuds and my venture and if I buy these with edsets or something else what do I need to get. I wish some one who has waded through this would give me the part nos. for what they have found useful. Thanks in advance. I am electronically challanged is why I am asking so much.

If you use earbuds...in my first post...you'll see the link to the exact part you need for using earbuds. It just PLUGS right into the bikes headset jack (where you'd normally plug in to use the headset). VERY EASY to use and well worth it.

Here's the link again...and only $24.95.

Wally

i just took a trip from houston to abilene and went to bike week with my wife. at 80 mph the intercom is useless as is the stereo. and yes i know how to ajust av and ect. my question is? without changing the electronics, exactly what parts do I need to use earbuds and my venture and if I buy these with edsets or something else what do I need to get. I wish some one who has waded through this would give me the part nos. for what they have found useful. Thanks in advance. I am electronically challanged is why I am asking so much.

From Edsets.com here is their adapter which allows you to input audio from an MP3 etc. or connect your earbuds... your simply plug it inline with your lower 5 pin cable.

clicky clicky :happy34:

My order since going to the Edsets would be a bit different. With past headsets, I would agree with you. After the Edsets though, I place the headsets ahead of the bikes speakers by a long shot.

I've not tried the earbuds but may one of these days. The Edsets module has a earbud jack built in so you can just plug them in and use them instead of the headset speakers if you choose to. I've been happy enough with the Edset speakers though that I just haven't tried it. I have no doubt that they would sound better though.

Freebird,

what model of edsets did you order, again I am ok mechanically but i am afraid of ordering too little of too much electronically. Thanks

Looks like the link from Rumboogy's post will get you an adapter that will plug into the 5 pin and put all the audio from the system to a 3.5mm ear bud plug. From what I can tell this will render anything that uses the mic inoperable for 2 way communication... The CB, and Intercom.

With the Edsets adapter, it appears to be a pass through set up. You'll still be able to use the mic for 2 way communications of the CB and Intercom but you'll have the choice of using helmet speakers or ear buds. On top of that, you can choose to, if using the helmet speakers, plug your MP-3 player right into the 3.5mm plug and pump your tunes through that instead of having to plug the MP-3 into the aux port of the cassette deck.

http://www.edsets.com/edsets_adapters

Is that pretty much it or am I off base here?

I have used earbuds for a long time now ( SKULL CANDY ). I got my adapter from CYCLE GADGETS and I use an older set of JM headsets. The sound quality is great and wind noise is way down. I still use the CB through the headset but I get enjoy the better sound for my XM RADIO. Maybe if I had a better headset I would not need earbud maybe !:big-grin-emoticon:

I use the earbuds and they are 100% better than the speakers in the helmet, plus with the edsets adpater or any adapter you can use any helmet because you don't listen to the speakers in the helmet. When I first purchased my 05 venture in 05 I bought a chatterbox system that has speakers to mount inside the helmet. In the winter I use a 3/4 helmet but in the summer in south georgia you have to use a 1/2 helmet but I didn't have a way to mount the speakers in the 1/2 helmet. The chatterbox system I have clips on the side of your helmet and the mike boom is part of this clip on. When I got the adapter I cut the wires to the helmet speakers. Now I just clip the mike onto the side of any helmet and put the earbuds in my ears. I can talk to my wife on the intercomm, we did the same thing for her, and use the cb. This way I can use any helmet because I don't have to mount speakers in the helmet. You do have to put the earbuds in your ears and then put on the helmet but that is no problem to me. When I don't have a passenger such as when I'm riding to work I plug the earbuds in the adapter and I don't have to use the chattebox mike because I'm just listening to music. The earbuds also block out wind and engine noise. Before the earbuds I couldn't listen to music through the speakers at highway cruising speeds because of the noise and when I tried to use the external speakers I had to turn the volume up so loud that the sound distorted. Some people mention a possible safety hazard with the earbuds but I can still hear a siren or horn blowing and I'm constantly looking in my rear view mirrors and in front of me particularly in town.

I have no doubt that the earbuds are a big improvement, but I will mention (not for the first time) that noise reducing earplugs improve the sound of helmet speakers.

I use Musicians ear plugs from Hearos (just google them) for about $5 a set, and they reduce the overall noise level, and since they stick out close to the outside edge of the ear, they are very close to the headset speakers and get full fidelity and clear sound from the speakers. you can turn up the speakers which usually helps with their signal to noise ratio, and makes them sound better in the bass region. I find it much easier to understand CB and my music is closer to high-fi.

At least worth trying if you don't want to mess with the ear buds or they don't work well for you.

We're using Fuze custom formed earbuds obtained from www.Fuze.com

comes as wired earbuds with silicone paste that gets mixed and fitted around the buds then fitted and smoothed into your ear for a custom very comfortable fit under the helmet. Both companies ship really fast and are a pleasure to deal with.

Using this system eliminates need for earplugs as the buds eliminate wind noise while riding.

The site is earfuze.com Looks like a VERY cool product- thanks for the tip!!! Ordering mine this week!!!