IGNORED

My recommended RSV mods

I have finished the mods I felt are a MUST for a RSV. Mine is a 2008 Venture optioned as a S model.

My "Must Do" modification/add list is as follows:

• clean & weatherproof the radio/CB cable connectors
  • fabricate & install Engine Guard Braces
  • buy & install Tony Dathan's Passing Lamps Light Bar Spacer Bracket
  • buy & install Rick Butler's Bag Bolts
  • buy & install Rick Butler's Seat Thumb Nuts
  • buy & install a Stebel Air Horn (or equivalent) - I installed mine in the fairing & kept the other horns also working
  • replace the six OEM windshield/fairing 5mm bolts with longer bolts (about 1/4 inch longer) & use bigger washers (almost like fender washers) to minimize chance for breaking the ABS fairing when tightening
  • buy a small tool pouch... fill it with some tools, tie wraps, etc. - dump the OEM tool kit stuff in the pouch & place it in a side bag
  • buy a Shock Air Pump/Gauge & stick that in your tool pouch
  • buy Rain Gear & stick it in a side bag
  • buy a GPS & RAM Mount for long rides
  • buy a good pair of headsets for CB/radio/intercom
  • gut the tape deck & modify it for Zune/IPod/Mp3 player storage & extend the AUX input with a cable
  • buy & install a good set of handlebar grips - modify them to retain the factory handlebar chrome weight extensions

That is it for what I believe to be the MUST things I had to do for my Venture. Remember, these items/changes are simply my opinions.

I do not believe that it is worth fabricating & installing brackets for attaching the ends of the windshield mounting bar to the speaker nuts. The bar has plenty of holding power from the center two bolts & leaving the ends to float, makes installing the upper fairing & windshield back in place easier.

JohnB

Funny you mention the tool kit.

I didn't dump the kit...something tells me to always KEEP the original tools (or at least some of them). So I put together the tools I wanted to have on my bike, or at least the tools I wanted in the bags.

So, since the saddlebags have a "pocket" the toolkit sits in (on both sides)...I decided to make my own tool pouches and STOCK them with the tools I wanted.

Alright...so DON'T laugh. I made my TWIN pouches out of .... DUCT TAPE!! Yep, duct tape and they turned out very well. I made them the same dimensions as the original flimsly plastic pouch.

In one pouch I placed the original tools (minus the pliers) and added some better pliers, and a crescent wrench.

In the other pouch I put in a metric socket set, a hex set, and a small set of wire cutters.

Both pouches fit neatly in their little space and now I have LOTS of tools to carry if I ever need them.

Wally

"I do not believe that it is worth fabricating & installing brackets for attaching the ends of the windshield mounting bar to the speaker nuts".

Sorry to say , that they WILL break over time. :rolleyes:

Jeff

"I do not believe that it is worth fabricating & installing brackets for attaching the ends of the windshield mounting bar to the speaker nuts".

Sorry to say , that they WILL break over time. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Sure those end flimsy little pieces of plastic will break. They are a poor design & really not needed. The center bolts & 6 fairing mount bolts make it solid yet allow flexing for the assembly of the upper fairing & windshield. I did the bracket mod & then took it off. IMHO it was not needed.

johnb

(Not necessarily in order.)

I'm definitely a fan of the links.

Don't forget the backrest.

LED tail light and turn signals.

Good tires - Venom or E3.

Headlight modulator.

Tachometer.

Certainly many of the things you mentioned.

Stuff I didn't think of while I was typing.

Stuff I haven't thought of yet, but eventually will.

This is a list that never really ends. :)

• 1 month later...

This is the only bike I've ever owned that I DID NOT want to change the grips. I've had the ISO grips on another bike and they were not as good as advertised. Without gloves, they turned my hands black.

These stock grips on the RSV are pretty comfortable to me.

Funny you should just happen to list as you first mod:

clean & weatherproof the radio/CB cable connectors

I've got 1,200 mi. on my 2007 RSMV and you can barely hear the radio on the speakers and headsets with the volume set on 30. Figures it would do this, right before a road trip. Will have to tear dash apart to do just as you suggested. Oh well, I've got an Ipod and some ear buds I can use in the meantime. I'm off to Va at 10 am. WooooooooHoo!

buy & install Tony Dathan's Passing Lamps Light Bar Spacer Bracket

I have been looking for one of these. Any links?

hh

------------------------------------------------------

You can reach Tony via email - Tony Dathan [dathan@shaw.ca]

The cost of the quality spacer was $32.50 for me.

johnb

Funny you should just happen to list as you first mod:

clean & weatherproof the radio/CB cable connectors

I've got 1,200 mi. on my 2007 RSMV and you can barely hear the radio on the speakers and headsets with the volume set on 30. Figures it would do this, right before a road trip. Will have to tear dash apart to do just as you suggested. Oh well, I've got an Ipod and some ear buds I can use in the meantime. I'm off to Va at 10 am. WooooooooHoo!

-------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you will have to split the fairing to get to the connectors... disconnect them... clean & use dielectric/silicon grease... then re-connect & tape them to seal them shut with good 3M electrical tape. However, that would also be a good time to change the speakers out to Polk Audio DB401s with BASS Blockers.

That is my plan in a month or two.

johnb

(Not necessarily in order.)

I'm definitely a fan of the links.

Don't forget the backrest.

LED tail light and turn signals.

Good tires - Venom or E3.

Headlight modulator.

Tachometer.

Certainly many of the things you mentioned.

Stuff I didn't think of while I was typing.

Stuff I haven't thought of yet, but eventually will.

This is a list that never really ends. :)

Hi Bummer;

I just change my front tire last week to a Avon Venom AM42 150/80B-16. It is a rear tire mounted in reverse for proper tread use & has about 11/32 of tread to start with. My rear tire is a Kumho.

johnb

Road King pipes!!:happy34:

-----------------------------------------------

Yep... Road King pipes/mufflers are the way to go.

I recommend against BUBs unless you like repacking the fiberglass every year or two. Mine came with BUBs which were loud enough to hurt your ears. I took them apart... removed the last pieces of fiberglass... drilled 4 3/8" holes in the plate nearest the engine... added 8" universal muffler baffles... reassembled & now they are nice. Road King mufflers would have been easier.

johnb

small up grades.

as we all no, the back of the bike, is deprived of lights.

so I added, red lenses to the back blinkers, turning them into red running lights, for the darkness.

added the light strip under the trunk, and added, the Old Harley light bar, that attches to the license plate braket

so now at night, i have 3 running lights, and 4 brake lights

You can reach Tony via email - Tony Dathan [dathan@shaw.ca]

The cost of the quality spacer was $32.50 for me.

johnb

Thank you. I know a while back someone else manufactured this mod but quit making them.

I sent an email.

hh

• 2 months later...

Well it has been 3 months since I started this thread. Here is a report on the mods completed so far.

My "Must Do" modification/add list is as follows:

• clean & weatherproof the radio/CB cable connectors
    (completed by dealer warranty)
  • fabricate & install Engine Guard Braces
    (made & installed myself)
  • buy & install Tony Dathan's Passing Lamps Light Bar Spacer Bracket
    (bought & installed - can remove top fairing easily now)
  • buy & install Rick Butler's Bag Bolts
    (done - easy to remove bags now)
  • buy & install Rick Butler's Seat Thumb Nuts
    (done - easy to remove seat now)
  • buy & install a Stebel Air Horn (or equivalent)
    (installed in the fairing & kept the other horns working)
  • replace the six OEM windshield/fairing 5mm bolts with longer bolts (about 1/4 inch longer) & use bigger washers (almost like fender washers) to minimize chance for breaking the ABS fairing when tightening
    (done)
  • buy a small tool pouch... fill it with some tools, tie wraps, etc. - dump the OEM tool kit stuff in the pouch & place it in a side bag
    (done)
  • buy a Shock Air Pump/Gauge & stick that in your tool pouch
    (done)
  • buy Rain Gear & stick it in a side bag
    (done)
  • buy a GPS & RAM Mount for long rides
    (done - RAM mounts are the best)
  • buy a good pair of headsets for CB/radio/intercom
    (bought 2 on eBay for $110)
  • gut the tape deck & modify it for Zune/IPod/Mp3 player storage & extend the AUX input with a cable
    (done, but I still need to work on fit, etc.)
  • buy & install a good set of handlebar grips - modify them to retain the factory handlebar chrome weight extensions
    (bought Kuryakyn grips - I love them)
  • buy & install a good set of highway pegs
    (bought Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually pegs - with your feat up it is comfortable & scoops the air in for cooling)
  • buy & install Jack-UP leveling Links for rear suspension
    (installed Lust Racing Links - easy to do - greatly improved handling!)
  • buy & install radiator grill
    (installed Custom World chrome radiator cover)
  • buy & install quality new tires
    (installed Avon Venom AM42 reversed on the front - installed Kumho on the rear - Avon is great but the Kumho has the wobbles above 85mph
  • buy & install a quality speedometer corrector
    (bought an eBay SpeedoHealer v3 for $57 delivered - easy install & it is GREAT to have an accurate speedometer)
  • buy & install custom mufflers
    (BUBs came with my bike. They were too loud so I gutted them & installed 8" baffles in them - now they are nice)
  • add accessory switched power feed to front fairing)
    (added relay switched by accessory connector under seat which switches 12 gauge power feed to the fairing. In the fairing is installed a six fused power block)
  • fix/correct Passing Lamps power
    (fix the wiring for Passing lamps by running on separate feed from headlights & ignition switch - now power is run from added fuse block in fairing)
  • fix/correct Air Horn power
    (removed Air Horn power from headlight feed & ran it to added fuse block circuit)
  • buy & install a quality driver backrest
    (bought & installed a Utopia backrest - Love it!)
  • buy & install Headlight Modulator for safety
    (installed Diamond Star Headlight Modulator - I get noticed now)
  • buy & install Brake Light Flasher for safety
    (came with bike - flashes 3 times & then steady)
  • buy & install Bass Blockers to improve sound
    (bought at Best Buy & installed for front & rear speakers)
  • buy & replace front speakers
    (bought Polk Audio 901 speakers & installed - better sound along with Blockers)
  • buy & use a half cover to cool grips, seat & dash in the summer sun
    (bought a Goldwing half cover - works great & fits perfect)
  • buy & install 80W/100W HELLA H4 Headlight Bulb
    (bought on Amazon.com & installed with upgraded socket cable)
  • perform Air Filter Intake D-cutout to improve performance
    (completed in 30 minutes - easy)
  • buy & install LED 1157 bulbs for front & rear signal lights
    ()

I think that is it. However, I have been toying with installing a tachometer. The tach just doesn't seem needed & would be difficult to install unless I spent a fortune on a Baron's with a reservoir cover mount.

So... what next?

Stay tuned to find out?

JohnB

Edited by First_N_Last
add more mods completed

I saw another member's bike (Owen) that had been lowered. He, like myself, is somewhat vertically challenged. I have been thinking about lowering my '07. Is the leveler process better than the lowering? While I like the idea of anything that makes the bike easier to handle, I am a bit concerned about anything that will add any height. I can flatfoot the bike now, but I do NOT have a lot to spare.:confused24::think: