IGNORED

New Starter Engage Clutch Upgrade Installed!

Some of you have seen the thread on the upgraded starter enage clutch that was the brain child of Squeeze and assembled by Dano.

If you have had problems with your engage slipping, chattering or banging this is the answer. I installed mine today and it works great.

My bike has not been started since the second week of December and suffered through a lot of subzero temps sitting in the garage. The first crank was solid and no chattering or slipping. The second crank she was turning over like she has never done before. The third try I gave it half choke and it was instant on.

Everytime I shut her down and hit the button it was instant on. No hesitation at all. This is my third engage since I bought the bike. And I do think it is going to be the last one the bike will ever need.

This thing is a monster!!

Pics tell the story.

Thanks to Squeeze and Dano for sharing this project.

Mike

looks good mike, i am waiting for my new flywheel puller so i can pull my rotor off and send it to Dano so he can fix mine. tryed a harmonic ballancer puller but it self destructed.:bang head: the new one is from pcw raceing and is for pulling the flywheel on a vmax, should be here on monday. anyway thank's for the pic and i hope you get some nice weather for a test ride. Come on warm weather:biker:

You might try Snaggles old trick, put good pressure on it, have a LOT of padding laying around on the floor and let it sit over nite! He came out the next day and POOF it was on the floor!

Seriously, glad to hear you're sending your unit in, almost the best upgrade you can do! I'll look forward to seeing it arrive, you can paypal me if you'd rather go that way.

I tied it to the frame with a short line so that it could not go flying.

It lets go with a bang that sounds like a gun shot.

Be ready for it.

I should get mine back by the weekend, it is supposed to be in the 40's this weekend, I might actually get to try it out.

Hey 86er,

Well you missed the first run on this one I guess. It's a new upgrade for the OEM starter engage clutch. It's not a fix for the old one.....it's a whole new assembly installed into the stock rotor....with a minor mod made to it. It gets machined for a 6 bolt mount rather than the stock 3 hole.

Our member Squeeze has developed this for high performance racing motors with high compresion and came up with this that works on all the 1st gens and 1st gen V-Maxs.

Our Dano here is the man doing the machine work and installing the new clutch assembly here Stateside.

It's not the 3 roller engage we have now. It has 19 eliptical sprags that grip the surface of the 72 tooth ring gear, also replaced during this mod.

But I got mine done and it grips like bandit. It's quality stuff for sure.

But read the post that Dano had going and it will explain everything.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44547

Mike

Yeah Dano it was the Gremlins I told ya that!!!!

That was just pure luck. But this time I just put a cardboard box with two shipping quilts in it under the rotor and let it drop in.

Cap'n eddie......I hear ya. I had my old Snap-On harmonic puller and it did get a test. If your's has never been pulled it will put up a fight. I've had mine off 3 times now and it still has a good grip, but not like the first time.

Like stated, but a BUNCH of padding under it or like I did with a cardboard box with quilts. The rotor assembly with the old engage will weigh a bit over 12 lbs. You DO NOT want it to land on the floor.

When it comes off it is not a gradual thing. It don't slide off like a harmonic balancer. It fires off the crank with a bang and mine went better than a foot and a half away from the bike the first time. You ain't going to catch it in your hand. Well maybe, if you are a receiver for a Shot Put Team and really, really quick. LOL!

But I went out this morning and tried it again. Like Christmas ya know. It was 20 degrees and the bike has never liked hooking up in the cold. It grabbed right on and fired after two trys. It's fixed.

Hope ya'll like the mod as much as I do.

Mike

thank's for the info guys , when the new puller gets here i will attack it again. about two weeks ago i bought a crank for an 83 that had the rotor and clutch on it for $20.00 because the seller could not get the rotor off so i got both so if someone needs a rotor i will have a spare when i get it off, then i can give the crank shaft to my friend that needs it. Dano i will pm you when i get it off . Now when i get this done my bike will be done, at least that what i thought last time before the starter clutch shot craps.

You did surprise me.

I was just going to PM you to see if it shipped.

Once I get the left side of the bike all buttoned up, then I need move it over to get room and then open the right side to put in the PCW clutch upgrade. Then finish the oil change that I started when I cracked the left covers off. DOH!!

Question; Should I use any kind of sealer on these gaskets during install, the old ones were all leaking along the bottom?

Yeppers on the sealant!!! I use the NAPA High Temp Black. A thin coat on the cover side to hold the gasket in place while you put it back on and pack the stuff around the wires coming through the rubber gommet inside and out.

Done this the last two times I've had it open and not a drop. Works good. :thumbsup2:

That was what I said! The first time was to install the upgrade stator from Buckeye Performance. Decided as long as I was that far to check the starter engage. That was when I found the damaged springs and cracked body in that one. So ended up doing the stator, pickup coils and the engage.

So with all this done......shouldn't have to open that puppy up again.

As a side note.......on that Buckeye Stator.....

One pic of the stator the day I received it and one pic of it after a year of use. No sign of over heating and looking good. Much unlike the old one that was 1/3 black and melted in spots.