DragonRider

Ok, I have read some of the input on the Shinko tires, but they are somewhat dated, does anyone have any more feedback on them, mileage, handling, pros, cons.......looking to buy tires for both bikes and having trouble getting the tires I want at MotorcycleProShops, cant order via internet, and keep getting voice mail when I call......and they have the best prices around.............

Put a set on my RSV last fall. Since all this "white global warming" has been around so long, I only have about 2,000 miles on them. Love them so far. Quiet, smooth, handle nice....don't know how long they will last but if I get 10,000 out of them I'll be ahead money wise due to the lower cost.

I have one on the rear of the '83 and like it so far. I also put a set of the 230's on the ZL1000 and wow the traction is un-believable! With the dunlops or metzelers on the ZL I could nail it in first and smoke the rear tire at will, now it will stand right up. Put 66 1/4mi runs at Dragway42 this summer and very little signs of wear. Nice thing is no burnout for tire warmup is needed, just stage and go!

I bought mine through motorcyclesuperstore.com and Pinwall Cycle. I did have to send a front one back because it would have taken too much weight to balance it. I guess that can be expected from a cheap tire.

Just ordered my tires, got the Shinko's, looking forward to getting them on the bikes, I went with a Shinko 747 Radial for the V Star 1300, and Shinko SR777 for the 1st Gen. Wanted the Radial for both, but couldnt find it for the Venture... Total outlay with shipping was $228.00 for 2 new Shinko rear tires..............now just hoping they come close to the handling I was used to with the Avons. That is a lot better than paying over $325.00 for two avons and neither Avon was radial. After install at dealer it will be about another $80.00 for that..........so about the same as 2 Avons not installed.

I just put a set on my 91. So far they are behaving well. Only 100 miles on since install. Motorcylce superstore price was $128.00 shipped to the door for the 230 tourmasters. Hope you have good luck with these as I feel like I am going to be ok. I priced an Avon rear tire for almost the same price of the set of shinkos.

David

I dont think you'll be disappointed Lewis. I have a set of the Tour Masters on the '89 and I thought enough of them to put a set on the Electra Glide. Just did 800 miles this weekend and didn't have any trouble, including 300+ miles of wet roads and rain. I have about 3500 miles on them right now and they still have great tread left on them and are quiet to ride.

I put a new, rear Shinko Tourmaster on our 86' before our big ride last fall. We did about 6500 miles. It's got around 8k on it now and it's pretty much toast. Rides well but it has worn really weird. On one side (not laterally speaking) there is around 1/8" of tread left but then on the opposite side, 180 degrees or so, the tire is bald. you would think that you'd notice something riding on an oval tire but it rides perfectly fine even at high speed (85+). I can only reckon the tread was thicker on one side.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the Shinko front tire, Tour Master 230. Mine is a 1988 Venture Royale. I've replaced the Shinko with a Dunlop Elite 3.

The Shinko did the job on the Venture. It worked just fine in the rain, on grooves, on metal-grate bridges, on curves. No problems whatsoever. Price was excellent. That's the good part.

The bad part: At 6,000 miles the tire had not much tread left for safe riding. Less than 1/16 of an inch left. No cupping, no unusual wear -- just wear.

I was hoping for 10,000 miles from that tire. It didn't come close to that. Had it met my expectations (and wishes), the Shinko would have been the best buy in tires.

Now I'm ready to try the Dunlop, which comes highly recommended by some on this forum. I'll report on it as I pile on the miles.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

Here's a pic of my shinko tourmaster after 8.5k. Mind you, the tire was still round despite what the pictures show. Also 7k of this was fully laden, 2up and pulling a very heavy trailer. Rode good though and the price was kick ass!. GO figure?http://www.kilik.com/shinko_tourmaster_rear1.jpghttp://www.kilik.com/shinko_tourmaster_rear2.jpg