IGNORED

Best Replacement Battery for a First Gen?

helomech

Well it looks as if my battery is belly-up. What are the opinions on replacement batteries for the 1st gens? I'd like to go maintenance free if possible, but looking for the bang-for-the-buck factor. Don't want to throw a wad of cash out, but will spend a bit more for a better battery. Also, does anyone have a good way to do a load test on a battery to make sure if it is the problem or not? I could hook up a 12 volt load to it, but I have no idea how long it should last.

The battery reads 13 volts after a couple of nights on the battery minder jr, but won't crank the starter more than a couple of revs before the relays chatter. Fluid levels are good, battery light is off. I ran a new cable I made out of heavy guage aircraft electrical wire to the starter.

I've looked at the archives, but I think many good battery threads, must have been lost back in the crash. The dang electrical problems ended my season early, and I want this thing running well before spring.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

You can use an automotive load tester if you can get your hands on one. I saw an Auto Value flyer with some on special in there. They are kind of handy as you can also check charging systems. I have an Interstate battery in my 90 with a wire to trick the warning light. I put a gel battery from Batteries Plus in my 3 wheeler and that performs better than any I have used before. I figure a good battery is a good investment.

Here is a link to a tester like I am referring to. Just one I happened upon when I did a quick search. Looks alot like the one I have.

http://www.automotivepartsnetwork.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=79&idproduct=7339

Guest Fly-N-Lo

Hey Helo, Just a thought...My '90 VR did the same when I first bought it this past August. Everything worked as it should (radio's, lights, ect.) but the starter would drag. I put it on a 3A charger over night, rode it for 15 minutes, and the starter would not turn over. Bought a brand new battery thinking it wasn't holding a charge...nope still the same thing. After calling my Yamaha dealer and reading a few posts here, it turned out to be the starter. Seems some 1st gen starter amatures have a tendancy to corrode therefore when they get hot (mounted between the front headers) they don't work. 2 hours, 3 beers, and 4 busted knuckles later she turns over like new. Even after 3 to 4 hour rides. :080402gudl_prv:

I'm kinda partial to the Odyssy 680. A little expensive going in, but in the long run it works out to be less.

:sign yeah that: I put a 680 in the bike we did for Charlie and it worked out pretty well. I know Freebird has an oddesy in his '99 for about 4 years now with no problems :happy34:

After you charge the battery, let it rest for a day or so then measure the voltage. A healthy, fully-charged batt will have about 12.7 volts. If after charging and resting you have significantly less than that, you have a problem. Also, connect a volt meter to the batt and measure while cranking (or attempting to). If you are down to relay clattering, your voltage is pretty low - I'd guess 8 volts or so. If you measure something like that at the batt, it is the problem. If, OTOH, you measure good voltage at the batt under these conditions, you have a voltage drop somewhere else, like in the cables, solenoid or even the starter itself as has been suggested already.

Jeremy

helomech, my 86, was acting sluggish after i put in a new interstate battery,last year.

i ran a second, heavier, GROUND wire to the frame, cleaned the original ground, and that cured my problems.

inexpensive test, to determine if your ground is weak or faulty.

just jt

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing to check for starting problems.

On the original yamaha cables, check the studs for being Crimped , AND Soldered. I found that 3 of the studs were crimped and soldered.

However the stud at the Starter, was Only Crimped, it had not been soldered. And it was beginning to Corrode.

Adding a ground wire to the Starter frame is also a good idea.

Also, remove the Ground cable from right frt corner of engine, check the bold threads for corrosion. ( Mine was corroded !! )

Also check the connections on the Starter solinoid, and consider replaceing it on high millage first Gens.