Godlover

Does anyone have any experience with the Roadstar Silverado? I have the opportunity to trade my old 72 Suburban for an 07 Roadstar with 3400 miles on it. I checked out the Roadstar forums but can't find the kind of information I find here. Is there anything I need to be watching for? Thanks!

I bought a RS Silverado new in 2005. Loved that bike...very strong, dependable, big enough for me (I'm 6-2/250) and gorgeous to boot! But after 2 years, we decided we wanted a touring bike, so I sold the Roady and bought the 07 Venture. I love having cruise control, fairing lowers, sound system, intercom, etc. I miss the Road Star sometimes...but then I go ride the RSV and it all goes away. In a perfect world, I'd have both bikes!

I owned a 2001 RSS and I must say it was one of the greatest bikes I've ever owned! I just traded it in this last spring for our RSVS, If I had the extra cash, I would have kept it! I bought mine used with a lot more than 3400 miles on it! I would jump on that deal in a heartbeat!

Renne,,,,,,,,,,,,,,missing my RSS!

I also have owned an 01 RS. Loved it. Great power, but I also wanted the bells and whisltes. I my wife would let me have more than 1 ride, it would be a RS and a Goldwing along with my RSV. Get it if you can, you won't regret it.

I have done some minor work on quite a few of them, 1600s and 1700s. They are very easy to work on, if you can do most of the service work on a Venture, the Roadie won't be any problem. They are nearly as reliable as the Ventures as well. You will find alot of similarities between the Roadies and the Ventures.

Just remember when you first start riding it, it is a V-Twin, it won't rev very high like these V-Fours. They do create some vibrations as well, nothing terrible, just not as smooth as a V-Four.

Hope you enjoy it!

Dave

Thanks for the info - Actually this will be an addition to my Venture - but I'll probably turn around and sell it this spring. I have an awesome 72 Suburban but have really struggled selling it. I even dropped the price 4 grand since last fall! The market is so soft. The Roadstar is a good option for several reasons: One - it won't take a whole stall in my garage (the burb is huge!) - two - it will be easier to sell, three - if it doesn't sell I will enjoy riding it (translated: I won't try real hard to sell it!) Fourth - it will provide an extra ride when my kids are home and we can ride together. Fifth - it would be cool to have a Roadstar and a Venture! It would be really cool to have a matching 2000 MM Roadstar but I'll take an 07. My son had a Road Star Warrior which was wickedly fast and loved it. I'm leaning towards making the trade. I'm in Iowa and he's in Oklahoma and with this Iowa weather it will probably be a few weeks or month before we can swap.

I have a 2000 Roadstar Silverado 1600 and love it(still miss riding my 87 Venture) It is an easy bike to work on and like was mentioned it is a low revving bike and does hit rev limiter too soon when having fun rides. All in all good bike --good luck!!!enjoy the ride!!

I had a 07 RSMS. Loved the bike and very easy to ride. Like others, I wanted a touring bike for longer rides. Some ways I still wish I had it for the shorter rides, just can't justify both bikes. Changed the stock seat to a mustang as I couldn't ride the stock seat over a couple of hours, after that could ride 400 miles with no issues. That reminds me, still have the stock seats in a box somewhere. Anyway, jump on the bike, you will love it.

+1 on going for it. In addition to the RSV I have an '06 Roadie Midnight. EASY to work on and mod. Bulletproof. Without sounding too brand bashing, it's what I always wanted from a Harley. It's so much more comfortable, powerful, dependable and affordable than any of the H-D's I owned in the last 35 years.

Probably the biggest issue you may have is if it has aftermarket pipes. The pipes aren't the problem but most dealers and owners think you have to rejet for pipes and they jet the carb way too rich. You only rejet if you change to a freeflowing airbox or mod the stock one.

In any case, sign-up over at the RoadStarClinic.com/. We have all the help you'll need there. In my opinion it's the Roadie equivalent of our home here!

Good Luck!

Edited by BigBoyinMS

The only issue I have heard with the RS is sticky valve syndrome. I don't have it but I've been told it is caused by running the Roadi in to high a gear and letting the engine lug. I've also been told there are a couple of products that help or prevent SVS. I use Seafoam and I can't remember the other products name. They probably have it listed on the STAR site or The Road Star Clinic.

SVS can be an issue but mainly on bike's that are jetted too rich. The valve guide clearance is tight and if you get a lot of carbon they can stick. Seafoam will take care of the problem if you have it and hitting the rev limiter once every ride and correct jetting keeps it away.

I had it when I first got mine. It was jetted rich by the previous owner. Seafoam did the job and I haven't had it again since I got the jetting right.

You guys are all an excellent source of information. The sad news is the guy decided that I was too far away to make the trade so the deal is off. The old Suburban is cool so it doesn't bother me to keep it and I'll keep my eyes open for another interesting trade or just sell it outright. If you know of anyone looking for an awesome 72 three door Suburban with air ride, fuel injection, air conditioning and in great shape - let me know!