IGNORED

Can a first gen be lowered a couple inches safely?

An inexpensive trick that guys do to their crotch rockets are to loosen the pinch bolts on the triple trees. When they are loose, they raise the forks up a bit to lower the front end.

On the VR, you would have to first lower the forks to clear the top side of the forks below the top clamps. Once clear, you can remove the dampers (they rest between the CLASS manifold on the forks and below the top clamps). Then you would slide the forks back up...but instead of having them flush with the top of the clamp, push them up until they stop. This should give you 1/4" to 1/2".

This MAY work, but I would not recommend it. If the forks are not perfectly level, you risk bending the front axle, uneven tire wear, and/or control issues.

Another issue with adjusting any front end diamentions is that you change the steering and handling of the motorcycle. Lowering the front end may cause the bike to become more sensitive to steering inputs.

One of the best methods I've seen/heard is to cut out the foam in the front seat (and replace it with thinner gel pads) and then have it reupholstered. That would be an effective way to lower your ride height without changing the handling.

i too have this problem but mine is getting on the bike. i got a 27 inseam. i stand 5 ft 9. i have to get as close to the bike and hop on my bad left leg and get my right leg on the seat and slide the leg across the seat. same as getting off the bike. but once im on it i can plant my feet on the ground? well on day i kicked the backrest with my right leg. and kicked the bike to the right i caught it but pulled some ligiments in my back. a bike with a full tank i think goes over the 800 pound mark? i lowerd the air in the front to 12lbs lowerd the rear to 32 and im close. also im thinking of takeing the back rest off?

i bought a spare seat and im thinking of sending to someone i saw on this great site that cuts and lowers the seat. i need about 1 to 1and a half out of it.

Send your seat to Rick Butler, he will lower and narrow it, plus make it more comfortable, then find a shoemaker to put thick soles and heels on your boots, then learn to stop just putting your left foot down, worked for me! Good luck, Craig

Thats plenty in front. What about rear?

I had 8 in the rear. I got both down to 7 but it was still tall. I bounced up an down a few times really hard and there was a crunch. I checked everything to see what I broke but I found nothing. I brought the air back up and then down again and got both feet flat on the floor. I'm not sure what happened but I had to clean a mud wasp nest from the floor. the bike had been sitting a lot before I got it.:D