IGNORED

Pipes, Carbs, Airbox 08 Venture

Has any one put on different pipes & Put on a high flow air cleaners, mening throwing the air cleaners away & puting on a hihg flow unit. then jetting the carbs to match, With a dino & gas meter?

Im not looking for more power, But more then 34 mpg.

My o8 Venture has good power, But the mpg sucks!

My thery is to give it more air & get rid of it with less restriction. Then set the carbs to match would help a lot.

Just wondering if any one has did this & what the resolts were???????:think::think:

Hey Reed,

First off, welcome to the site! Now, about those MPG's. If power is not your problem, then moving MORE air thru the engine and enlarging the size of the jets to allow MORE fuel to enter the engine IS NOT going to give you better gas milage! Far be it for me to tell ANYONE NOT to put some excellent safty chrome on their bikes. The new pipes are going to be shiny and louder, the air filters are going to be *****in' but if you want to get your milage around 40 MPG where it should be then spend your money on a Manometer (Carbtune) learn how to use it, and Sync. your Carbs. If you are running hi-test gas then stop it. Check your tire pressure every time you ride and if you are only running 32 to 34 PSI in your tires then air them up a bit more. Lastly, if you are "chugging" around town in fifth gear under 55 MPH then stop that too! Unless you are sitting at a stop light, 3000 to 3500 is as low as you want to go on your tach. (oops! I forgot, Cassette player, no Tach! MY Bad!):doh: anyway, if the mirrors are vibrating while you are riding around then your RPM is too low. Keep in mind that this engine is not a twin, it needs to see RPM's to function properly. I like to say, "Ride it like you just robbed a bank" and you might not see an increase in fuel economy until you Sync. those Carbs........but you will have a LOT more fun riding! :thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks for the reply! But not much help. I use Mercury sticks "carbtune" so I think I have the carbs sinked? there is not much dif. betwean the 4. they are much closer then from fact. I run 36 lb. in frunt & 40 lb. rear. 70 MPH on the speedo = 65 MPH on the GPS. I don't think that is luging it in 5 th. As for gas I do better with eth. fee but is hard to find. I have been running Premium.

Have lowered the needles in the carb & gained 2mpg. So that brings it to 34 mpg.

Maybe it don't like speed? I went for a ride in MN. witch is 55 mph. & got 42mpg. that day was a exceptional day for riding. NO WIND & 80 deg. That was 55 mph in 5 th. & flat roads. I could go to sleep at 55.

I am still looking for some other problum. floats out of adj.? :think:Asked the dealer about the mpg. He sead 34 was in speck so there was nothing Yamaha would do. Amy checking or dino work was out of my pocket. So I am trying to figure it out my self With some help from the good folks on this sight. Thanks!

The milage is prolly my only real gripe about the Venture. But, I have learned to live with it.

One thing I did really notice is that the bike REALLY gets thirsty when pushed above that ???mph - I don't remember what that number is, but I'm thinking it was around 70ish. And it gets MUCH worse from there. But most vehicles are like that.

This site has several long threads about adjusting the carbs in various was, but I worry about running my bike to lean and causing damage. So, as I said above, I live with it.

craigr

My '07 got about the same mpg as your until I got a few thousand miles and it got alot better. I hardly ever get under 43 mpg and have got as high as 51mpg at lower speeds. Try not to take off to fast from stops and that will help. Tyres will last longer also.

tew47

Has any one put on different pipes & Put on a high flow air cleaners, mening throwing the air cleaners away & puting on a hihg flow unit. then jetting the carbs to match, With a dino & gas meter? Im not looking for more power, But more then 34 mpg. My o8 Venture has good power, But the mpg sucks! My thery is to give it more air & get rid of it with less restriction. Then set the carbs to match would help a lot. Just wondering if any one has did this & what the resolts were???????:think::think:

Suffice to say that the more air you're moving through the system, the more fuel it has to carry to maintain the proper fuel / air ratio in order to run the engine properly.. So with K&N air filters and after market pipes, you've set yourself up for better throttle response, a more aggressive engine and unfortunately, a lower fuel mileage. Unfortunately you can't have both (much)

Each bike is different, however, but with mine, my fuel saver speed on the dial is around 50-55 mph.. anything above that and my range per tank goes down the tubes... I like how my bike plays with the set up I have, even if it means my bike's legs are shorter than my buddy's..

Being the devils advocate but not meaning to ruffle any feathers - what is so important about gas mileage on a bike when every mpg mentioned was at minimum twice what most cars & trucks are getting ??

Unless there's a vanity thing going on, 30 plus mpg is pretty good. I get 18 mpg or so out of my Z71 but have yet to check the Venture. I know that when I run out of black on the gauge it's time to get more gas.

. 70 MPH on the speedo = 65 MPH on the GPS.

You know you said it yourself...most all venture speedos are off and so is the odometer.

There is a fix...a properly set speedohealer can fix either but in my experience not both odometer and speedo. One will be a little off.

This may help your calculations some. You may be doing better than you think.

Also there is a thread going now about setting the fuel air screw to improve mileage...I am still thinking about that one.

Enjoy the bike...

Being the devils advocate but not meaning to ruffle any feathers - what is so important about gas mileage on a bike when every mpg mentioned was at minimum twice what most cars & trucks are getting ??

Unless there's a vanity thing going on, 30 plus mpg is pretty good. I get 18 mpg or so out of my Z71 but have yet to check the Venture. I know that when I run out of black on the gauge it's time to get more gas.

:sign yeah that:

I rarely check my gas mileage and for the most part, don't really care unless it's so bad that I'm stopping for gas before I need a smoke :rotf:

I was getting around 46 mpg on the '87 and I know I can go farther on the '06 before needing gas than on the '87 so I'm happy with that. (yes, I know the tank is bigger)

I average about 38mpg but I like to twist it pretty good most of the time. BUT... My best tankful was 2-up (uh, call it 3-up. I'm 2-up when I ride alone. :D ) on a leisurely 55-65 mph group ride... 44mpg if I remember correctly. So yeah, speed and riding style makes a difference.

Sounds like you have the carbs adjusted as close as any of us so I would say just ride and enjoy.

Oh, and no use wasting money on premium fuel. It doesn't give you any better results than the lowest grade in our bikes. In fact, it's been said that it can lead to some carbon issues.

Not so much vanity but being to stretch a tank of gas for a given amount of distance makes a difference.. When I go on my road trip, I already know where I'll be gassing up depending on my riding style.. if I'm able to improve my mileage and still ride hard, then I'm happy..

My bike is a US bike so the distance is in miles, but my fuel intake is in litres.. a typical ride, my consumption is roughly 1 litre per 10 miles of riding.. if I do 160 miles distance, then I know I'm going to be putting in roughly 16 litres of fuel.. oddly enough, this is my measure for how well I'm doing with fuel mileage.. I did manage to do 220 miles for 16 litres but man that was a slow boring ride on the back roads lol..

on my bike, my speedo is 10% off actual readings.. I had verified it with my GPS and a chase car.. 110 KPH on the speedo is actually 100 kph.. 88 kph is actually 80 kph etc etc.. 180 kph on the ... well you get the picture.. ;)

SeaKing - I can understand your mpg concerns, it makes sense. My riding style is different than most on here in that I have a Venture to use when I have nothing else to occupy my time.

I only ride about 5K miles a year, just enough to change oil and add safety chrome and LED's.