IGNORED

Member who built his own Dog Hauler Trailer

Gamecock

I remember seeing a member that built his own dog hauler trailer and he had pictures on his post. I can't seem to find the post anywhere. I do remember the guy had a yellow lab that he pulls in it.

Any help in finding the post or who the member is would be appreciated. Thanks

Ben

I have been searching for something like this. I have a great pyrennese service dog that I must have with me at all times. I was thinking of doing something similar but putting a removable sun roof on the top with a windshield of some sort infront of the hole so she could look out without the air blast.

I have been searching for something like this. I have a great pyrennese service dog that I must have with me at all times. I was thinking of doing something similar but putting a removable sun roof on the top with a windshield of some sort infront of the hole so she could look out without the air blast.
By service dog I hope you don't mean a seeing eye dog :think:

That looks great. I have two Labs that we do not like having to bother people to watch when we go for awhile. They would rather be with us. The neighbor has one of those little trailers I could propably have . I'll have to check it out. Could build it a little longer and double as a camp trailer. Thanks for the idea. If I build one I'll post pictures.

:banana:

If you take your dog along in a trailer, wouldn't your worry that the dog is breathing the exhaust from your bike?

Also, having to listen to your pipes the entire time?

craigr

That's the reason for the snorkel sticking out of the roof - fresher air. It's got a trap at the bottom with a small drain hole through the floor. The other vent is a solar exhaust vent, it's supposed to move 700 cubic feet per hour, more when moving (it's cover is shaped to create a venturi).

I'm more concerned about road noise and body drumming than the pipes. The dog box portion walls (interior and exterior) have 1" of styrofoam insulation bonded to the interior and exterior panel in the hopes of reducing drumming. I'm hoping the insulation will also prevent it turning into a greenhouse when parked.

I have an extra trunk for my 07 Venture.

I had thought of cutting a hole in the top, just big enough to allow our Dachsund to pop her head out, then put some upholstry around the hole for comfort. This way she could go for rides with us. She is small enough that I doubt if I would notice the weight.

For those of you that DO take your dogs for a ride with you, What do you do with the dog when you stop for meals & Ice Cream?

No, I doubt I will ever do this, but it was just a thought.

craigr

Thats cool. I though about making a single person sleeper, so, I can stop anywhere. on the road. 4' wide and 8 ft', long with a crank up, top, to expand the height.

a very small version of a scamper trailer:mo money:

I have been looking at several car top carriers that are for carrying ski's or long items to make a single sleeper. Searching the web, there are several from $200 to $600 and weight approx. 30#+. Would work great for single sleepers.

So after much thought and surfing, this is what I am thinking about doing.........

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42708

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/42700-42799/42708.gif

and bolting this to the top of it.....

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/b_style_dog_box.html

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/images/b_style.jpg

I need a new hunting box for when I move back to SC and when I deer hunt, I'll just take the box off the trailer. I plan on having the side window's and fan installed on the box.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Ben

Ben,

If I'd known those boxes were that reasonably priced I might have gone a different route!

I used the same trailer you have there. Took the extra leaf out of the springs and narrowed it to fit the box I planned to use.

I think I have close to $800 in mine (and I got lots of free welding). You should come in at a similar price point with a lot less of your labor.

Carl

Ben,

If I'd known those boxes were that reasonably priced I might have gone a different route!

I used the same trailer you have there. Took the extra leaf out of the springs and narrowed it to fit the box I planned to use.

I think I have close to $800 in mine (and I got lots of free welding). You should come in at a similar price point with a lot less of your labor.

Carl

I was reading on the website that they will custom make a box the size you want it. The closest production size they have will be about 2 inches off. I gotta get the funds together, but I think this is what I am gonna do. $800 for a trailer already built isn't bad. I kinda wish I have bought the HF trailer I have now, the one with the cargo box on it. O'well!

Ben

The Harbor Freight trailer doesn't have a rear shackle on the spring. The spring slides against a metal "pad" and is captured by a bolt under it. Clatters like an old dump truck full of loose tools.

A piece of heater hose on that bolt and a piece of old inner tube under that pad will quiet it right down.

Guest tx2sturgis

Those 'R' series dog boxes, especially the smaller single dog models, look like theyd be a good match for a bike trailer.

Since they can custom build any size, I'm guessing they could build one without the vents in the door, making it suitable as a standard cargo box...hmmmm....

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/images/r-style-small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

We did some traveling with the dog last year. Two were weekend trips (400 miles or so each) in VERY hot weather. Our girl seemed none the worse for wear.

She wasn't asphyxiated or roasted and she can still hear the can opener a mile away.

No handling issues at all. Could easily forget it was back there.

If been thinking about building a sleeper also. Have been looking at a couple of 8ft long abs clam shell car top carriers. changing the clamshell hinges to end hinges and have a couple of side curtins made. open and prop the end up and lay in the carrier to sleep. have seen a couple wide enough for two, but would be a little tight (friendy) to sleep. Would be very light weight and would place a board as flooring. I would be able to carry my gear inside while traveling and may have room to store it inside when sleeping. if not would have a large water proof bag made to cover my gear. The bag would have a lock system to keep it attached to the trailer tounge. Just something simple and functional as I don't spent much time in camp and usually use State or National Parks with faculities.

Thats cool. I though about making a single person sleeper, so, I can stop anywhere. on the road. 4' wide and 8 ft', long with a crank up, top, to expand the height.

a very small version of a scamper trailer:mo money: