IGNORED

Yamaha shop wont work on older bikes

emtdouggood

I called my local Yamaha shop to have them do a tune up and check my bike out.(1983 venture royale) They told me they will only change the tires and oil on my bike.I guess i will no longer go there to get parts. I have never thought a shop would turn down work because the bike is too old. Thanks just venting Doug

been there where i live. in illinois they wont touch a bike that old i got a 1984. all i can get is tires,oil change. and since i was lucky i did bribe them to put brake pads on. since the wheels where being pulled off. i didnt buy the tires from them so all the work cost me $ 225.00. i also asked if they would grease the rear end and the splines to the drive gear. and the mechanic. said all he can do was top it off????. he did tell me about a friend of his. that will take it in in the spring. and do a good look see. and will work on it at 50 bucks an hour. also the guy will let ya watch. im thinking this might be a good idea. as i used to work on smaller bikes. but i need to learn about this beast.

My local shop (Huntington Beach, CA) still sells parts and works on them. It is surprising what parts are still left...lots of them. The service manager, Gary, is a Venture expert, having owned one for over 16 years. I plan to sell my Venture when Gary retires in about 10 years. It'll be 30 years old and I'll be "older" than that.

I guess all i want is someone to look over the the bike. I Wanted to make sure that the bike will be ready to go when it gets goodenough to run.I let it run in the garage till it gets upto temp. No wonder i got sick. Thanks 93 for the offer. If i could make it to the street i would ride it today. Too much ice in the drive. Thanks again. Doug

I have a Yamaha Dealer 1.5 miles from my "little shop by the creek" here in Pa. and if a bike is more then 10 years old.....they send it to me. I am happy for the work but it must be tough for most people with older bikes to find an honest mechanic to do work for them. I would think in this economy, dealers would be jumping at the chance to bring more work in. I must admit that my 87'VR is older than the mechanic at the local Yamaha dealer. That might be part of the problem. This looks like another indication of our "throw away" society.Sad, but true. It's a shame you don't live closer, I charge $30.00 an hour and you could watch all you want!:crackup:

Earl

skydoc. i wish i was closer. i even thought about trailering this bike to someone. and let them have at it. someone who knows these bikes. will get it running good. then i just come and pick it up. right now im fighting a workers comp case long story so it could get repoed before then. but if i win my case im willing to put this bike to a great running state. i did drive this bike for a year before problems poped up carbs and other minor things. then my injury. i love the feel of that bike.

Doug-

It doesn't sound like you have any serious problems with your bike and you probably aren't too far from Don's place in Ohio. You might want to look into attending Maintainence Day. They have lots of great, experienced guys there that can teach you how to take care of your machine. Plus I understand there's a pond monster for entertainment!

Dave

skydoc. I wish i was closer. I even thought about trailering this bike to someone. And let them have at it. Someone who knows these bikes. Will get it running good. Then i just come and pick it up. Right now im fighting a workers comp case long story so it could get repoed before then. But if i win my case im willing to put this bike to a great running state. I did drive this bike for a year before problems poped up carbs and other minor things. Then my injury. I love the feel of that bike.

give me a call when your ready to get your bike running,

mike.

skydoc. i wish i was closer. i even thought about trailering this bike to someone. and let them have at it. someone who knows these bikes. will get it running good. then i just come and pick it up. right now im fighting a workers comp case long story so it could get repoed before then. but if i win my case im willing to put this bike to a great running state. i did drive this bike for a year before problems poped up carbs and other minor things. then my injury. i love the feel of that bike.

Where in Illinois are you?

Doug,

Take Darrin (93 Venture) up on his offer, he's close to you and he's very good with these bike. He used to help me out quite a bit. Maintenance Day at Don's is good too, a lot going on there. Dealers don't want to work on bikes over 10 years old. Even though my 06 is under warranty it will only see the dealer if it is a warranty issue. I do all my own maintenance now. If I can't do it yet someone here will either help do it and show me or there's good tech articles on the site too.