IGNORED

road king exhaust

Guest hoss3

I haven't done it, but it is pretty simple if I remember it correctly.

I think they will fit right to the existing pipes, but there will be a gap in the chrome cover that you will need some sort of adapter or clamp to cover up. I'm sure others will provide that info. The mounting location for the rear of the muffler is much further back than the existing bolt on the stock muffler (almost to the very end of the muffler), so you will need to mock up a custom mounting bracket that will bolt in place of the existing muffler and extend rearward to bolt onto the RK muffler. This doesn't look too difficult, and I have seen someone selling this adapter bracket.

Again, I'm sure others that have actually done this will respond with all the details - I just wanted to tide you over with what I think I remember! Good luck,

Goose

I installed the Road King mufflers last night on mine. You need two 1 3/4 chrome clamps. I bought them from J P Cycles. They are 3/4 inch wide and cover the area nicely. Next you need the Brackets to hold up the back. There are a few ways to do it. I used the ones I bought from another member. If I remember right ECK can send you the drawing and spec for the Brackets. Gonna be hard to get them slid up enough but a little light force and they go on. Keep in mind the 2006 and later ones have Catalytic converters in it so they are no good. 97-2005 is good. Also there are two cuts. the end has a slash cut on one type and the other has a flat back. Both are the same. There are also different types of Drilling the baffles to make them a little louder. I put them on first with out driling and tested how loud. I wanted a little louder so I drilled to Phase I which is 4 holes 1/2 inch in the first plate you see when you look in the inlet. Perfect for me. I like the sound. Not too loud but more than stock.

I've had the RK Slash cuts on for about a year. It doesn't affect gas mileage or anything. It gives it a little lower rumble, not loud. The slash cuts look great and follow the line of the saddlebags well. I cut the heat shields off of the stock exhaust where the exhaust bolts up and tack welded the shields onto the RK exhaust so they look stock. SOFAPILOT sells the mounting bracket you need, which are very nice. Just send him an email.

Anyone tried these on a 1stGen? And are brackets available somewhere?? I have a set of straight, and a set of slash, that were given to me. From what I can gather they fit the '95-'05 and are Touring because of the 'T' in FLT 1340/1450 part number stamped on them.

• 3 weeks later...

I put a set of 2004 RK mufflers on my 2006 RSMV. I purchased a set of mounting brackets from one of the forum members. After installing them on the bike, I took a three eights inch steel rod, thirty six inches long, that I had purchased from Home Depot, sharpened one end, and then I slid it up each tail pipe and pounded it through each baffle in the RK muffler. The bike was running when I did this so I could hear the difference each time I punched through a baffle. I kept punching holes until I got the sound I was looking for. Sounds real sweet especially when I pull up beside another Harley. By the way, I purchased My set of RK mufflers, which were new, from on E bay for 36 dollars. Hope this helps you.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Just so you know, if you are searching eBay...

The Road King mufflers with the squared off end that looks a lot like the stock RSV mufflers are from a Raod King or Ultra Classic (Electra-Glide).

The ones that have the slash cut ends are from the Road King Classic.

• 6 months later...

I have a set on my 83. If you look at my pic gallery you can see how they look. If your interested in how I mounted them........just let me know.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=4

Anyone tried these on a 1stGen? And are brackets available somewhere?? I have a set of straight, and a set of slash, that were given to me. From what I can gather they fit the '95-'05 and are Touring because of the 'T' in FLT 1340/1450 part number stamped on them.

Guest Katydid

I recently put 04 RK pipes on my 06. I punched out both front and rear baffles and punched three 1/2" holes in the rear cones. It has a very nice deep tone, without being overly loud. I definately can tell a performance improvement. I made my own brackets from 1/4" x 2" SS bar stock. They are stout! I also cut the front heat shields off my RSV pipes and attached them with #6 SS phillips head sheet metal screws. It all looks stock. The pipes fit perfectly, I also bought mine on ebay...cheap.

I installed the Road King mufflers last night on mine. You need two 1 3/4 chrome clamps. I bought them from J P Cycles. They are 3/4 inch wide and cover the area nicely. Next you need the Brackets to hold up the back. There are a few ways to do it. I used the ones I bought from another member. If I remember right ECK can send you the drawing and spec for the Brackets. Gonna be hard to get them slid up enough but a little light force and they go on. Keep in mind the 2006 and later ones have Catalytic converters in it so they are no good. 97-2005 is good. Also there are two cuts. the end has a slash cut on one type and the other has a flat back. Both are the same. There are also different types of Drilling the baffles to make them a little louder. I put them on first with out driling and tested how loud. I wanted a little louder so I drilled to Phase I which is 4 holes 1/2 inch in the first plate you see when you look in the inlet. Perfect for me. I like the sound. Not too loud but more than stock.

could you send me some pictures of how you drilled?

MY son put stage 2 RK slip-ons on his 06 RSTD a few months ago and LOVED them.

a month aho i purchased an 07 RSV - and just to be a bit different - i drilled out the stock pipes (removed the rear cone, used a hole saw to remove the (10" or so internal pipe), the completely bent flat the rear-most bulkhead in the muffler (for the ides from son-in-laws R*). Believe this is a stage-2 modification on the roadstarclinic web site.

Anyway - about a week ago- as i fired up the scoot to head for work - noticed the exhaust sounded different. a bit deeper and more mellow.

Turns out my boy had swapped mufflers!!!

now i have the RK and he has the drilled out stockers.

sheesh - just can't trust these kids...

btw - i'm keeping the RK's.:)

• 7 years later...

Every one keeps talking about using stock Rd King mufflers is there a difference between the stock exhaust of street glides and road glides? In my own mind I would think they are all the same stock! But according to my wife I have lost my mind!!

Edited by thomer

I had RK on mine for a while and they were very nice, deep "throaty" sound. Than I had a chance to purchase a Screamin' Eagle ones and I did. The difference - Screamin' Eagle is 4" (RK is 3.5"), and those I got have downturns and I was looking for that look (kinda ol' school). Sound was about the same as the RK's but somehow I felt a better performance. The bike acted like it can "breathe" better... Still have the RK's in the shed...