IGNORED

tape deck

Jimod

Yep-

Need to jump the pins. Might as well solder in a plug for an MP3 while you are there.

Don't dispose of the cassette. I gutted mine and made a switch housing and storage box. Went fancy and wired my Garmin throught the 8 pin plug. Got an 8 pin receptacle an made it reversible if I want.

JB

• 3 months later...
Yep-

Need to jump the pins. Might as well solder in a plug for an MP3 while you are there.

Don't dispose of the cassette. I gutted mine and made a switch housing and storage box. Went fancy and wired my Garmin throught the 8 pin plug. Got an 8 pin receptacle an made it reversible if I want.

JB

JB , i am trying to do the same thing , but i want to install my mp3 instead a garmin , did you use a sw. to go from radio to the input or you just jump pin 1 and 7 and wire in a plug for your garmin ?

if anybody else knows please jump in , trying to get this done today , thanks

There's a couple ways to inject audio, using the original cassette cable...

The earlier schematic assumes no casstte and you can see that opening the jumper between pins 1 and 7 tells the amp to switch to "cassette" source.

Or you can have both cassette and external source...

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/audio.jpg

Actually, I think that switch ""on" arms the radio. Witn the radio off and the volume switch on the Garmin comes through the system. Power up the radio and the cassette connection drops out. I put a set of stereo plug-ins and switches in a small box. I turn off the radio and then select one of 2 inputs. I can run either the Garmin or an additional input. I have been experimenting with a box that has a priority override system. So, If you are listening to music, the GPS voice will trigger an override and come through. I have seen these devices on line and they sell for way more than they are worth. When I get my shop running again, I will play again.

JB

Yep-

JB

You wouldn't happen to have some pics of that would ya?

Just for curiosity sake.

I tried to wire my ipod through this connector. Volume was WAY too low, tried another MP3 player and had same issue. When first powered the volume was louder for a second or so then dropped to a whisper. I ended up using an FM transmitter but if anyone has a clue how to wire this up correctly I'll try again.

Yes, the print for the tape player wiring on this site isn't quite correct. I also experienced low audio when I used what's shown. However, the correct leads are present in the cable to the tape player. I had no use for my cassette deck, so I completely removed it. A Sawzall with a little help from a hack saw will remove the pieces you don't need. Then I used an aluminum plate and a couple of small pieces of aluminum angle held together with some 6x32 screws and nuts. I used locking nuts where possible, but on the sides I had to keep it narrow so that it'd fit back in the bike, so I used regular nuts and some Lock-tite.

I found that the blue and brown leads in the cable to the tape deck where the ones I needed for good audio. I have no idea what pins on the round connector you'd use, but I can tell you this......On the bottom (smaller) of the 2 system connectors, the blue wire is pin 3, the brown wire is pin 5, and ground is pin 7. If you want to use the round connector, just use an ohmmeter to find what pins on the round connector are attached to pins 3, 5, and 7 of the bottom system connector. The white wire in the cable is +12V, and the gray wire is the wire used to enable the tuner.

I used a DPDT relay (Radio Shack 275-249) to turn the IPOD audio off when using the radio. Before I did this, if you left the IPOD on and switched the radio on, you heard both out of the speakers. I connected a diode (RS 276-1102 or 276-1101 or equiv) to protect the radio's switching circuit from the spike that is created when the relay is dropped out. Connect the diode so that the band on the diode is attached to the lead that is connected to the switch (positive). My wife found a hard plastic case for the IPOD that would allow Velcro to stick to it. The other half of the Velcro is stuck to the aluminum plate and this keeps the IPOD from bouncing around. With the IPOD equalization set to FLAT the treble was pretty hot. I switched it to SMALL SPEAKERS and it sounded much better.

Now the IPOD works GREAT!!!!

FrankD

• 2 weeks later...

I found my notes and they had the pinout of the DIN connector that goes into the cassette deck. If you want to leave the connector on your cable you can purchase an 8 pin DIN female connector from NKCelectronics.com--the stock # is CON-0008. The pin location is for the cassette deck socket and the back side (where you solder the wires) of the connector. If you look into the plug, remember the rotation is reversed. The pins are numbered--verify that you are using the correct pin by looking at the numbers.

Frank D.