IGNORED

Helmet locked up?

footsie

I see posts where riders talk about locking their helmet to the bike, or in the trunk.

I have been riding for 36 years, and my luck my run out tomorrow, but I have put my helmet on the lock before, stuck it in the trunk, but most of the time I just set it up on the seat. So far I have never had a helmet stolen or messed with in any way.

Has anyone ever had their helmet stolen from your bike.

Gregg

I've never had mine stolen but a friend of mine was coming home from a trip and had his helmet on the seat and his bag with this clothes straped on the back. He went in a restaurant to eat and when he came back his helmet and bag was gone. He was in Georgia and was close to home so he called the state patrol and told them what happened and he said they gave him a permit to ride home without a helmet. If I'm not going to be away from my bike to long or can see it from where I'm at I don't lock it. But otherwise I do lock it.

Greg

I am the same, only been riding about 12 years, but seldom lock my helmets to or in the bike.

About the only time I do is during the major bike events here in Daytona, only because you get so many non-biker folks out, that they do not respect that unspoken code of respect between bikers that says , "do not touch my bike", and you never know what they will do.

I really don't think anyone would steal my helmet, but I'm not going to take a chance of having to ride home without one. Mine is always locked up in the trunk of the bike. Remember that just because you're paranoid that doesn't mean that everyone is not out to get you.

I normally clip the strap and hook my helmet over the right mirror then put my shades and gloves in. And sometimes I lock it up. It just depends.

It's time for a new one so I wouldn't be TOO upset if it went missing other than the fact someone stole from me. In that case it would be a very good thing if I never caught anyone with it.

Never had my stolen, but always use a cable lock thru my jacket sleeves and chin bar on my ff helmet. I trust NO ONE. as previously stated, I wouldn't want to ride home without it and wish to save myself the loss/inconvenience/hassle/cost of replacing it.

I put mine on the lock or in the trunk when I don't want to carry it because I don't trust that it will sit on the seat without falling off.

I usually keep my trunk and bags locked because of the tool assortment, spare glasses, gloves, etc that I keep in them.

My bike spends a lot of time (during the work week anyway) near an academic building on a college campus. And while many college kids are descent, there are a handful that are curious or may be ticked off about a grade or whatever, so I play it safe...

I had one stolen 10 or 12 years ago. I was at the time trails in Indianapolis and the bike was in a parking lot across the street and when I came back to the bike the helmet was gone. Still had the rings where it was locked to the bike but the helmet was gone gone.

If there is a good side to this story the helmet was old and needed to be replaced anyway but damn I hate to ride in the rain with no helmet. Yep, it was raining.

BOO

Never happened to me but in Flint at bar and grills in certain areas crack whores will take your helmet and demand $20.00 to give it back. Unless I can see my bike I tend to lock my helmet in the trunk.

Karl, I wanna hang out with you more often.:missingtooth:

I always leave my hat and often my leather on my bike, and have never lost either one.

I did have a motorcycle stolen once.....bot my helmet wasn't with it :D

Now that I have a scooter with a full set of Samsonite luggage on board, I'll probably put my stuff away more.

One time, long long ago and far far away . . .

I went to Sturgis in '73 - this was when I was living off the bike, and I had a rifle in a scabbard on the bike (rifle was cable locked to the frame), and I kept my spare helmet just sitting on the but of the rifle. Came back to the bike one day and the helmet was gone.

But I dont' often lock up my helmets, even now. One place I would worry about is somewhere near the border between a mandatory helmet state and a no helmet state. I've heard of them being stolen in places like that from low-life puke bikers that get caught by surprise by the cops without a helmet.

Goose

Thanks for responding, I was just curious, I have left my jacket thrown over the windshield and my helmet in the seat, at most all of the bike events, has sat on main in daytona for hours unattended.

But like I said in the begining, My luck may run out tommorrow.

Gregg

Karl, I wanna hang out with you more often.:missingtooth:

I always leave my hat and often my leather on my bike, and have never lost either one.

I did have a motorcycle stolen once.....bot my helmet wasn't with it :D

Now that I have a scooter with a full set of Samsonite luggage on board, I'll probably put my stuff away more.

We can go to Kimberly's Pub and watch the bikers go nuts when their Harleys get stolen. Can't believe they park them out front and leave the ignition unlocked.

we don't chances either. nice helmets with nice headsets go in the trunk. our city is not big enough to segregate hi life from lo. i had a co worker had his lock broke for a 35 dollar half helmet. ya jus never know. i keep the luggage locked also. i am usually runnin errands and have stuff stowed.