IGNORED

Brake Resevoir Dumb, Dumb, BRAND NEW DUMB!!

OK...so I got my Motorcycle Larry Ram Mount Resevoir Cover today. I put it on the LEFT side and liked the way it sat above the Audio Controller, but it also exposed 1/3 of the back of the GPS (which is where the external speaker is located), so I decided to move it to the right.

The left cover came off very easily and I noticed a plastic cover that I assume prevents spillage...so anyway, I decide to move it to the RIGHT side to see if it fits better and when I take the screws out...you guessed it...the white plastic cover came off and CLUTCH FLUID spilled out of the reservoir onto the garage floor. LUCKILY I had the steering column straight instead of cocked and the fluid fell straight to the floor. I assume if any gets on paint it will strip it correct?

Again, although DUMB...I was lucky that none got on anything except a drop or two on the VERY bottom of the chrome kickstand (wiped off with wet cloth and then dried).

What I need to know is...since I have never messed with the brakes on ANY bike I have ever owned...what kind of CLUTCH FLUID do I use (do I need to go to the Yamaha place)...and HOW MUCH do I put in...

Thanks for helping the DUMBA$$ out.

Wally

Edited by rumboogy

Yup. Dot 4 brake fluid is the way to go.

And you are very lucky that none of that spilled on any painted surface. It does not take long at all for the brake fluid to cause the paint to bubble up on a plastic surface, and on the metal surface, while it would take a little longer - it still is not good on the paint.

I'm sure you aren't the only one that has spilled a little fluid once or twice :happy34:

Lets just say, I learned the hard way, to not mess around and keep any painted within the 'splash zone' covered. :whistling:

What I do, and this by no means is the 'correct' way to do it or whatever; just my :2cents:.

Adjust the bars (and lean angle as appropriate) to get the reservoir to be as level as possible (to minimize the possibility of spillage).

The manual says to check the fluid with the bike upright and the bars straight and you want the fluid to be visible in the window, and no where near the bottom of the sight glass.

I put enough in so that when I have the bike upright and bars straight, I can see the very top of the fluid level in the very top of the sight glass (for the brakes this assumes that the calipers are fully retracted). I do this so that I can see, definitively, where the fluid level is and because I don't want to over-fill it either.

**Make sure you re-install the diaphragms appropriately as well as the plastic caps when you put your covers back on.

:confused24: Hope this helps give you an idea at least.

I hate that dang sight glass...it is so difficult to see anything.

I do appreciate the tips...and YEP, they definitely are helpful.

Wally

Yup yup - that is why I like to leave a little bit of airspace at the top - so I can shake it a little and see if it moves (verify that I can see the fluid/air bubbles/something).

The fluid WILL change over time, and become easier to see as it gets used more and more (or if it gets contaminated).

Brake fluid is so CLEAR that it can be difficult to determine where the "level" is (or should I say the top...) ...

I wonder..... could a guy put a tich of... let's say... red or blue food coloring into it to change the color a bit soas to better see where it's at.????

I know it's easier to see the oil in the sight glass once it gets a bit dirty....

(just a thought here)

Anything that is WATER based would be a very bad idea (which rules out food coloring).

Water/moisture contamination causes the brake fluid to brake down and most importantly, the boiling point of the fluid drops as the amount of water in the fluid increases. Since the system gets put under pressure while in use, one would NOT want the fluid to start to 'boil' as that would introduce more gas in the lines and we don't want that now do we? (The answer is NO. Gas or vapor bubbles in a line are compressible, were as the liquid state of a fluid is relatively incompressible. Therefore, if you have air pockets - while you may fully apply a brake lever it cannot perform to its peak ability do to the 'compressible pockets' that may form within the line itself. HENCE why it is important to 'bleed' any hydrolic system after fluid replacement or if one suspects that air was introduced to the system.)

Now, if there is another glycol based dye that one could use - I don't know... I'll stick with the clear crap and fight to see it... That way, I can tell immediately if it gets contaminated with something along the way, or if it is time to change it before my 'normal' changing interval.

The clutch is on the left, the brake is on the right. This is important!

If it's the brake then fill it to the top of the window. You don't want it so full that it oozes out when you put the diaphragm back in.

As the clutch wears the fluid level will RISE (opposite of brakes). If it's the clutch master cylinder only fill to the midpoint of the site glass. If it is the clutch it's likely that there is still plenty in there.

Whether it's the clutch or the brake you should use DOT 4 brake fluid. You can get it at any auto parts store, Wal Mart, the gas station etc.

I hope you don't have the reservoir sitting open. Very bad. Brake fluid soaks up moisture like a sponge.

Edited by MiCarl

Ooops...I do have another question though..

It's not possible that I introduced air is it? The handlebars never moved...so I don't think it COMPLETELY drained out...I can just add to it right?

Wally

Wally-

As long as the opening to the clutch line remained completely covered with fluid, no air should have gotten in.

Dave

Great...I'll look at that

As far as placing your mount to the right side, IMO, is a better choice. See, you already have the CB and Radio controls on your left. As far as my bike is concerned, that is it (GPS) that I'll add for I don't want to clutter my dash area with lots of electronic gear. I'd rather keep my eyes on the road longer. ;)

Ride Safe.

Good thing you had the bars horizontal when the spill occurred. However, just because it hit the floor and not the fairing, don't assume you didn't get any on the plastic. Even a speck will loosen paint the size of a pencil eraser. Wash the entire surface with water to kill any specks. ....don't ask me how I know that.... :) When filling the reserve turn the bars until it's level, and cover the area underneath the reserve with something to protect the cosmetics. Never.... I mean never fill a brake or clutch reserve all the way to the top. Hot expanded fluid needs someplace to go. It'll either cause your clutch to start slipping or the brakes to lock up. ALso the fluid is clear for a reason. The more moisture in the system the darker the fluid becomes. Moisture will cause system rusting problems. That's why the manual suggests replacing the fluid every 2 years, and bleeding the clutch and brake are one of the most neglected areas on a bike. Owners will go out and spend big bucks for synthetic engine oils and never look at the brake and clutch fluids. My 2¢

good thing you had the bars horizontal when the spill occurred. However, just because it hit the floor and not the fairing, don't assume you didn't get any on the plastic. Even a speck will loosen paint the size of a pencil eraser. Wash the entire surface with water to kill any specks. ....don't ask me how i know that.... :) when filling the reserve turn the bars until it's level, and cover the area underneath the reserve with something to protect the cosmetics. Never.... I mean never fill a brake or clutch reserve all the way to the top. Hot expanded fluid needs someplace to go. It'll either cause your clutch to start slipping or the brakes to lock up. Also the fluid is clear for a reason. The more moisture in the system the darker the fluid becomes. Moisture will cause system rusting problems. That's why the manual suggests replacing the fluid every 2 years, and bleeding the clutch and brake are one of the most neglected areas on a bike. Owners will go out and spend big bucks for synthetic engine oils and never look at the brake and clutch fluids. My 2¢

+ 10,000 ;)

OK...so I got my Motorcycle Larry Ram Mount Resevoir Cover today. I put it on the LEFT side and liked the way it sat above the Audio Controller, but it also exposed 1/3 of the back of the GPS (which is where the external speaker is located), so I decided to move it to the right.

The left cover came off very easily and I noticed a plastic cover that I assume prevents spillage...so anyway, I decide to move it to the RIGHT side to see if it fits better and when I take the screws out...you guessed it...the white plastic cover came off and CLUTCH FLUID spilled out of the reservoir onto the garage floor. LUCKILY I had the steering column straight instead of cocked and the fluid fell straight to the floor. I assume if any gets on paint it will strip it correct?

Again, although DUMB...I was lucky that none got on anything except a drop or two on the VERY bottom of the chrome kickstand (wiped off with wet cloth and then dried).

What I need to know is...since I have never messed with the brakes on ANY bike I have ever owned...what kind of CLUTCH FLUID do I use (do I need to go to the Yamaha place)...and HOW MUCH do I put in...

Thanks for helping the DUMBA$$ out.

Wally

Uuuuhmmm, My clutch lever and kickstand are on the left !!!!!!