IGNORED

Valve adjustment Excel spreadsheet

dingy

Attached is a Microsoft Excel 2003 spreadsheet that can be used as an aid in selecting replacement valve shims.

This should work for 1983 through 2009 models, I did not see any variances in the sizing charts in the service manuals.

1st sheet in file is in Metric format.

2nd sheet in file is in Inch format.

I expanded upon the valve clearance charts that are in the service manuals to include the shims end in 2 and 8. The reason for this is that these shims can be reused in the bike if available. I don't believe you can buy the --2 and --8 sizes.

Screen shot below shows cylinder 2 area. The only cells that are selectable are the "Shim in Now" & "Measured Clearance" data fields.

The "Shim in Now" field will only accept valid shim sizes. There is a pull down menu for valid sizes or size can be keyed in. The only other value that is accepted as input is a zero. I included this to set chart to neutral setting.

The "Measured Clearance" field has no error checking built in. Use millimeters on Metric sheet or inches on Inch sheet. The decimal point needs to be entered, the "mm" or "in" does not need to be entered.

Below the "Measured Clearance" field is a calculated field for "Shim Needed". This field will display the correct shim size to set valve clearance to the high end of acceptable range.

Next is "Expected Clearance" field. This is a calculated field to show what valve clearance should be with the shim size shown in "Shim Needed" field.

Next is "2nd Choice Shim" field. This field will display the next larger size shim that will work. This shim may be selected due to "Shim Needed" is an odd size or not available. This shim will set valve clearance to the low end of acceptable range.

Next is another "Expected Clearance" field. This is a calculated field to show what valve clearance should be with the shim size shown in "2nd Choice Shim" field.

In the upper right hand example, the lower "Expected Clearance" field is highlighted in Red. This will happen when any of the calculated sizes fall outside of acceptable range.

If value cannot be calculated the "Shim Needed" field will be blank and error will display in "Second Choice Shim" field. This will happen if an out of range clearance value is entered.

The two right hand charts in screen shot do not have data entered in so there are errors shown.

This should print out on 8 1/2" x 11" paper very readable.

This is just an aid for shim selection.

Verify Clearances if you use this after shims are installed.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/valvechartclip1.jpg

39120.xls

Edited by Freebird