Sunrayman

I just recently bought a 1989 Venture Royale and a day ago I noticed a small wet spot under the bike about as far back as the highway pegs. It was so small, I really didn't take time to investigate.

But after leaving my bike parked for two cold days at my G/F in Chicago (near freezing temperatures) I noticed that the spot was about 6-8 inches in dia. and appeared to be water...

Anyone know where I may get down and look for the source? Water pump seal? Radiator Hose connection? I have no idea.

Thank you in advance for your input. I need it.

Sunrayman :sun1::icon_smile_question

Hey Sunray,

As you may know, there are many areas that have water running thru it on the First Gen. VR. The two areas that seem to crop up most of the time are as follows:

1) The water pump is on the right side of the bike as you are sitting on it, ahead of the driver foot peg. You can tell where the unit is because it has a grayish tube that comes out the front and turns 90 degrees to the left back into the engine block. Underneath the water pump is a weep hole, check to see if the water on the floor is under the weep hole. When it's cold the water pump shaft contracts and a small amount of water passes by the seal. I have seen bikes do this for years without any ill effects other than you will need to "top off" the radiator fluid from time to time. If you start to see steam or fluid out of the weep hole while sitting at a light or as soon as you get off your bike after a ride then your water pump seal is pretty much shot and a rebuild or replacement of the water pump is required.

2) Right under the center of the radiator, above, and in front of the oil filter can, behind the lower cowel, (cowel needs to be removed to see this area) there is the radiator drain. The deal with this leakage area is when the O'Ring fails, fluid will fill the lower cowel, and not hit the ground until you move the bike forward, go up an incline, or the lower cowel gets so full that the fluid spills out the back of the lower cowel. The puddle from this leak is USUALLY on the left side because the bike usually sits on the side stand which leans the bike to the left. This leak is more urgent then the weeping water pump, a complete failure of the radiator drain O'Ring could leave you stranded.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/1724/cat/6

As a foot note, there is one other area that comes to mind and this would be back on the right side of the bike, this would be the thermostat housing. This is located behind the radiator side cover on the right side that has the reflector on it. There is an O'Ring in the housing that sometimes leaks. This leak is some what of a bear to get to and usually leaks while the radiator is hot.

If you have questions or need parts, PM me. :thumbsup2:

Good luck on your quest to find the leak,

Earl