IGNORED

Best time to visit?

Guest panda

I'm planning next year's vacation, and my wife wants to go to NS & PEI. when is the best time to go? Best places to stay? Best roads?Any and all input is great!

Guest BluesLover

Not sure about what the best time would be, but there isn't a shortage of good roads to ride.

Check out the following website:

http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/

There is a link to order the free hard copy of the guide - I picked one up a couple of years ago, but they keep refreshing it annually.

Good luck and great riding.

Cheers,

We went there the first three weeks in July this year and really lucked out with the weather. Only two days of rain.

There's lots to see and do while in the Maritimes. Cabot trail is a must see. PEI is great. I would recommend that you take the bridge over and the ferry back then go up to Cape Breton to do the Cabot trail then down the coast to Halifax.

Keep an eye out for local music. Lots of church halls and small towns have Caylies (spelling?) where you can see live entertainment. On Cape Breton you can see the Alexander Graham Bell museum at Baddeck and Rita MacNeil's tea house at Big Pond (good food). If you like history, the fort at Louisbourg is a must. It will take most of a day to see it. We also saw some good live entertainment in the town of Louisbourg at the play house.

The wharf area in Halifax has lots to see and do. We took a city tour on the amphibious tour boats. The Maritime museum was very interesting. You could spend a week around here and not see it all. You have to go to Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg SW of Halifax too. We didn't have time to visit the west side of Nova Scotia but I'm sure there is lots to see and do there as well.

If you can work it in, Fundy National Park in New Brunswick is very nice and you can follow the road up to Hopewell Cape to see the worlds highest tides.

The trip was fantastic and the only complaint I had was that some of the roads are not biker friendly. By that I mean the condition of the road was poor. Be very careful in the curves on the scenic roads. Lots of broken pavement and loose gravel and sand. Don't take the bike out to Meat Cove on the northern tip of Cape Breton. The last 10 or 15 miles is loose gravel. I did it, but wouldn't do it again on a bike. At least not a RSV.

Panda

Check out these PEI websites,

www.motorcyclepei.com,

www.angelfire.com/pe/peimtc/

July and August are good times to visit as all the tourist attractions are open for business, September can be great if you're here for scenery and peace and quiet. June tends to be our rainy season and weather is unpredictable. There is one major rally the "Island Rally" each labour day weekend as well as assorted rides throughout the summer.

Here's a link to an AMA story on a Maritime tour.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonly/magazine/story_dl.asp?id=431

Rick

I was there a couple years back and we went up to the Cabot Trail, and the roads were horrible but the scenery was great.

We went in August and the weather was great.

PS in the Venture Calendar you can see my 86 at a road side turn out on the Cabot Trail

You will also see a Lot of Harleys pulling trailors ( Could not believe how many I saw).

Brad

Took the overnight ferry over to Yarmouth. August is when we went. Mornings were still cool. Funday was good, watching the high and low tides. Peggy's Cove is a must see. Also The Cabot Trail. Miles and miles of coastline everywhere, plus, if you want to get somewhere fast, they have a 4 lane up thru the center. Be prpared to talk about motorcycling every time you stop. Didn't go to PEI, but I heard it's another motorcycle paradise. It's on the agenda when we go back. Maybe one time to avoid on your trip is the week that they are hosting an "Isle of Mann" type of race. There seems to be lots of excitment, and Hotels may be filled.

Guest Ken8143

We stayed in B&B's in NS and had good luck with that. It is a beautiful ride. Cabot trail is a must - so many places to stop for little hikes or to enjoy the scenery. Do NOT go to Meat Cove on a bike! Bad enough in a car! We enjoyed Reversing Falls in NB.

If you are into bird watching there are a number of good birding sites.

And, no kidding, be careful of moose on the road.

Lots of good stuff comming your way especially the Motorcycle Tour Guide. Here is another link with lots of good info www.novascotiabikers.com I would like to make a suggestion about your vacation. If you are able to set your own dates consider this.... There is a number of us very excited about a Northeast Ride In being planned by Pyro for the 9th to 12th of August there is a thread on this site. My wife and I are planning to attend along with another couple also others are giving it a lot of consideration. How cool would it be to meet in New Hamphshire and ride back through the Maritmes with a bunch of us from here... We could sure show you the sights..............

Give it some thought.

• 1 year later...

June through September is all good weather in NS. The Cabot Trail, while the road isn't the greatest, gives incredible scenery. The last time I rode it, we saw a moose along the road, a whale off the other side, and had some wonderful food. A good place to kick off from once you are there is Baddeck. Nice motels/hotels, good restaurants, and easy access to the Eastern part of NS. If you go to the western part, be sure to go to Digby and get some scallops! Awesome! Also, there is a tidal bore out there with the highest tides in the world...as high as 54 feet have been recorded. There are BnB's everywhere, and lots of lovely sights. Halifax has a brewery--Alexander Keith's--which is a must to tour. Very unique experience. Also, check out on the web for the International Tattoo as to dates and reservations. It is the greatest pipe band rally in the world!:bighug: