IGNORED

v-max final drive

I have decided to go to a V-max final drive on my 03

Venture.

I have found some but either to much wear or way to expensive. I did come across an 88 final drive in good shape but I don't know if it will fit. Also I am looking to change out the gears and not the whole unit. I haven't done this before and I figure someone here will know. Ya'll have always come through for me.

Thank you.

Wayne

What does one gain by doing this?

A numerical lower final drive ratio.

this makes the bike accelerate more quickly.

This also raises the RPM for a given speed in a given transmission gear.

Depending on your riding habits, it might lower your fuel economy.

It might raise your rider satisfaction factor, but that is subjective.

It will flatten your wallet some to purchase.

I would recommend purchasing one that has ben modified to accept the speed sensor.....

Have you ridden one with this mod? I would recommend doing so before making the switch just so you know what you are getting for your money.

I switched mine to a vmax unit that had been modified to accept the speedo sensor. I would not want to switch back. It made a noticeable improvement in acceleration, and with roughly a 500 rpm increase at cruising speeds I don't notice any decrease in mileage. In fact, sometimes it seems to get better mileage than with the stock rear end.

Good luck to ya!

OK, Here's the "Scoop" on the VMAX Final Drive Swap. When you install a VMAX or FJR1300 final drive in your bike it RAISES the RPMs 550 to 600. (example: stock final drive, 65MPH, 3600 RPMs. VMAX final drive, 65MPH, 4200 RPMs.) This swap increases the "pulling power" of your bike and makes it quicker off the line. The downside is you loose a few miles per gallon. On a First Gen. the final drives are a strait swap except you need to shim the final drive to keep the axle and final drive shaft perpendicular. (see attached pic) ON A SECOND GEN. you have a problem because the speedo is driven off of the final drive and the hole for the speedo sensor IS NOT in the VMAX final drive housing. What this means to a Second Gen. owner is you would need to remove the stock ring and pinion gear from the final drive housing, and replace it with the ring and pinion gear from the VMAX. The install of a ring and pinion gear is not a "plug and play" install. You would need a good dial indicator to check ring gear run out and the gear "lash" must be measured and "set". You would also need a fixture to hold the final drive while you measure and make these adjustments. This is not a job for a shade tree mechanic. You will have a fair amount of money into the new VMAX ring and pinion gear and if set up incorrectly, you will have lost you investment in the new VMAX ring and pinion gear and maybe even ruin your final drive housing. Freebird and a few other Second Gen. members have purchased final drives already set up with excellent results. I do not remember the name of the company but I'm sure one of the Second gen. owners will chime in. You basically give them your stock final drive and they give you a final drive with the ring and pinion gear installed. I think the price is $300.00 for the unit, plus double shipping. (your final drive to them, the new final drive back to you.) In my opinion, this is one of the best upgrades you can do for your Second Gen. because 5th gear is so over driven. I have VMAX final drives available for First Gens. with the shim and can either install them at my "little shop by the creek" or can send you the entire unit with the shim, ready to install. If you have removed a rear rim to have a tire installed, you have done 75% of the work it takes to install a new final drive. If you have other questions about a final drive swap or are interested in a VMAX final drive for your First Gen., please feel free to PM me.

Earl

• Like 1

As SkyDoc mentioned, the increase in RPM is where you notice the improvement in riding..

I'm entertaining the thought of having this mod done based on a couple of factors..

Around here the speed limit is 110 kph.. I can cruise this at a low 5th gear rpm but the bike has no guts.. or at a higher rpm in 4th gear which gives lots of fun but man it eats gas..

With a VMax rear, I am guessing it will leave me in an rpm range between where I sit in 4th and 5th on highway runs.. thus giving me the better mileage than being in 4th and yet still give me better kick in the pants than riding in 5th..

There is quite the 'give and take' involved with this swap I'm sure..

It would be MUCH less expensive, IMHO, to buy a used Vmax rear end and take it and your stock rear end to a good machinist and have them machine a speedo mount into the Vmax case. That is what was done to mine (by the previous owner of the rear end) and it works great.

Again, just my opinion....

.... When you install a VMAX or FJR1300 final drive in your bike it RAISES the RPMs 550 to 600. (example: stock final drive, 65MPH, 3600 RPMs. VMAX final drive, 65MPH, 4200 RPMs...

Earl

On a 2Gen, the RpM raises about 420 RpM, because the 5th Gear Ratio is different to the 1Gen Ratio.

If i had a 2Gen, i'd organize a Vmax/FJR Unit somewhere and just mount it, forgetting the Speedo Sensor for this Test. Once i've had determined if i like it, i'd made a Hole for the Speedo Sensor in the Vmax Casing on my Mill. But that's only me. Being the Speed Freak i am and made this swap on my '99 Vmax more than once, i say the shorter Gear Ratio is my Choice for my Ride.

And, unless your emptying the Tank on the Superslab at full Throttle, you won't notice much a Change in Fuel Consumption. That a proven Fact for my Ride.

Hey Squeeze,

Thanks for the RPM adjustment on the Second Gen. fifth gear, not owning a Second Gen. myself the figures I quoted in my previous post were for First Gens. If there is a Second Gen. owner that is some what close and wants to work with me on this mod I have a late model VMAX final drive in excellent condition and a milling machine, but no Second Gen.! If I could recoup my cost for the final drive I would throw the machining in for free and a minimal charge for any shims or fluids needed. This would allow me to offer these modified final drives to Second Gen. owners in the future. If for some reason the VMAX final drive doesn't work, I would reinstall your stock final drive at NO CHARGE! It would be a win, win! Any takers?!?! :confused24: PM me.

Earl

Hey Squeeze,

Thanks for the RPM adjustment on the Second Gen. fifth gear, not owning a Second Gen. myself the figures I quoted in my previous post were for First Gens. If there is a Second Gen. owner that is some what close and wants to work with me on this mod I have a late model VMAX final drive in excellent condition and a milling machine, but no Second Gen.! If I could recoup my cost for the final drive I would throw the machining in for free and a minimal charge for any shims or fluids needed. This would allow me to offer these modified final drives to Second Gen. owners in the future. If for some reason the VMAX final drive doesn't work, I would reinstall your stock final drive at NO CHARGE! It would be a win, win! Any takers?!?! :confused24: PM me.

Earl

ergh.. distance always works against me lol

Hey Rick,

That was an excellent question!

I had to look at the parts schematic for the 2nd Gens. to get an idea of what is going on in the final drive. It looks to me as if the sensor is "counting the teeth" of the ring gear to determine the speed of the bike. If I am wrong, I would love to be corrected. As I said in my earlier post, I don't own a 2nd Gen. so I have no way of "tinkering" with one, but I am very interested in offering useful mods for the 2nd Gen. owners as I have for the 1st Gen. owners. If I have made an incorrect assumption, please let me know, I love to learn!:confused24:

Earl

Hey Rick,

That was an excellent question!

I had to look at the parts schematic for the 2nd Gens. to get an idea of what is going on in the final drive. It looks to me as if the sensor is "counting the teeth" of the ring gear to determine the speed of the bike. If I am wrong, I would love to be corrected. As I said in my earlier post, I don't own a 2nd Gen. so I have no way of "tinkering" with one, but I am very interested in offering useful mods for the 2nd Gen. owners as I have for the 1st Gen. owners. If I have made an incorrect assumption, please let me know, I love to learn!:confused24:

Earl

Ahhhh...... so the speedo is not a "gear driven" device but rather an electrical sensor then? hmmmmmmm... now I "get it" LOL

Than then leads me to wonder .... the ring gear of the Vmax would not have the same number of teeth as a stock ring gear so I wonder how much that affects the speedo (assuming the sensor "counts the teeth")...

Hey Pete,

If and when I get this final drive thing figured out, I will just have to lure you back to the states with some of Jean's good home cooking and of course "The Rib Shack" down the street! Plus, we do have some excellent roads to ride on here, most with pavement! :crackup:

It would be a pleasure to have you stay with us again, and we might just "accidently" slide a VMAX final drive in your RSV during your stay. Please feel free to bring Kevin and let him know that I will speak to the park ranger and have him open the "plumpapotomus" season early for him.:rotfl:

Earl

Hey Pete,

If and when I get this final drive thing figured out, I will just have to lure you back to the states with some of Jean's good home cooking and of course "The Rib Shack" down the street! Plus, we do have some excellent roads to ride on here, most with pavement! :crackup:

It would be a pleasure to have you stay with us again, and we might just "accidently" slide a VMAX final drive in your RSV during your stay. Please feel free to bring Kevin and let him know that I will speak to the park ranger and have him open the "plumpapotomus" season early for him.:rotfl:

Earl

Dood, you're on our itinerary for next May when Kevin and I are heading down to see Goose in TX lol.. right after Rolling thunder.. or before depending on weather and such.. Give Jean a hug from both of us.. =)

• 3 weeks later...

Once again ya'll have come through. I will check out the machine work first, I have a friend with a macine shop. Hoping my E-3 will be in soon so I can get started. Can't put it down right now, wife is still home and she wants to ride.

Thanks again.

Wayne